Glastonbury 2010 Real Ale Thread

Guest Langdale Wolf

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't meant to be a boys only bash?! Us girlies like to partake in the ale too & would love to pop along to a meet if allowed? I was supposed to head over last year but the guy I was with he say no - alas I fly solo this year & so there'll be no stopping me (unless of course you lot do?) :unsure:

Gentlemen,

Is there any further insider knowledge on what the festie-wide ale will be? This is of great significance, as it dictates whether I need to bring something respectable to drink or not! I know Gem has its fans, I am not among them, and if it's back then a couple of polypins will be accompanying me in June!

Butts Ales are going to be in the Bimble Inn - and they're an excellent pint.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a mystery - it's a shame the ale line up isn't announced as early as the music!

I was in the Bree Louise earlier. WHAT a place. Discount for Camra members too - result!!

Why certainly sir. Quite exquisite. We arrived at 12.41 exactly - the first beers were ordered. 50p off each pint with a Camra card - it's nice to feel wanted.

Beer Number 1 - Sambrooks Junction. Tremendous, actually. Is this a regular ale, Tugs? VERY well kept - went down quicker than Portsmouth. Recommended.

The PIE was ordered - Steak and mushroom in a red wine sauce. Served with mash, gravy and veg. Extra kudos or consistency of puff pastry. Only £6 - I got £2 for being a member of Camra.

Beer Number 2 - Redemption Pale Ale. A very nice IPA indeed, but I probably ordered them the wrong way around. VERY quaffable, but the only downside was it wasn't the Sambrooks I had before.

Beer Number 3 - with only limited time available, I needed another half of Sambrooks, so that was duly ordered.

Unfortunately, at 14.01 we had to bugger off to Wembley so didn't have time to sample any more, but with more time and cash, I could have easily stayed there all day.

Proof of the experience? Allrightythen:

29902_434272735015_591785015_6095294_422

Absolutely without question the best pub I have been to in Central London. Good beer? Check. Good food? Check. Footy on telly? Check. Not expensive? Check.

WIN.

Why certainly sir. Quite exquisite. We arrived at 12.41 exactly - the first beers were ordered. 50p off each pint with a Camra card - it's nice to feel wanted.

Beer Number 1 - Sambrooks Junction. Tremendous, actually. Is this a regular ale, Tugs? VERY well kept - went down quicker than Portsmouth. Recommended.

The PIE was ordered - Steak and mushroom in a red wine sauce. Served with mash, gravy and veg. Extra kudos or consistency of puff pastry. Only £6 - I got £2 for being a member of Camra.

Beer Number 2 - Redemption Pale Ale. A very nice IPA indeed, but I probably ordered them the wrong way around. VERY quaffable, but the only downside was it wasn't the Sambrooks I had before.

Beer Number 3 - with only limited time available, I needed another half of Sambrooks, so that was duly ordered.

Unfortunately, at 14.01 we had to bugger off to Wembley so didn't have time to sample any more, but with more time and cash, I could have easily stayed there all day.

Absolutely without question the best pub I have been to in Central London. Good beer? Check. Good food? Check. Footy on telly? Check. Not expensive? Check.

WIN.

I went to a pub once I had

Deuchars IPA cause it's cheap as shit

John Smiths cause it's pretty cheap

Newcy Brown cause it's cheap and good!

WIN.

Accidentally strolled past yesterday after going to the Maps exhibition at the British Library.

Pint of Art Brew's Renaissance, and the missus chose a half (I misordered her a pint) of "Apples and Pears" perry from their extensive cider/perry list.

Decided against the two beers they had on that were 10% and just shy thereof in gravity. Silly stuff.

Looked enviously at those enjoying a pie, we had to move on.

http://www.thebreelouise.com/

Incidentally if you're in there area then the Crown and Anchor is also more than acceptable as a boozer too, just round the corner where Drummond meets North Gower Street. Plus there's a street full of south Indian places, not that I've yet worked out which are the touristy and which are the genuine ones.

Deuchars was the worst on that list. There's a reason it's 99p a pint anywhere you go!

Newcy Brown is brilliant. What other ale is like Newcy Brown? Can I join CARMA?

Incidentally if you're in there area then the Crown and Anchor is also more than acceptable as a boozer too, just round the corner where Drummond meets North Gower Street. Plus there's a street full of south Indian places, not that I've yet worked out which are the touristy and which are the genuine ones.