World Cup 2010 during Glastonbury 2010

Guest daggermouth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We managed with a radio v Argentina in '86, still looked like handball :rolleyes:

...and v Egypt in '90 (complete with cut to Ireland/Netherlands update to miss the only goal)

Does the technology exist yet to run an outdoor cinema in the same way, but during daylight hours?

Anyway, get rid of posh camping in the old cinema field. All the flooding on that path was caused by them t055ers washing their boots!

98...World Cup match (England V Romania?) was shown live the on Main Stage on the screens..it was pissing it down. I went to watch Rolf in the Acoustic tent. James were due on while the match was playing but refused to play until the match was finished I seem to recall.

00...cant say if footy got shown cos I wasnt there.

02...Glasto was on World Cup Finals weekend and so after Rolf played on the main stage we got 20 mins of live Germany V Brazil with no sound.

04...Euro's England v Romania(?) biggest crowd ever at the Main Stage for a non-performer...I buggered off to Brixton Academy to watch Orbital...who in turn were late on cos we lost on penalities!

So, worried bodlings...it goes without saying that IF England are through to whatever round it is while the Big G is on, THE MATCH WILL BE SHOWN. It certainly wont be in a little tent either, it will be main stage, big screens and probably the biggest TV audience in the world! :rolleyes: I'll be watching the proceedings in Italy myself probably.

98...World Cup match (England V Romania?) was shown live the on Main Stage on the screens..it was pissing it down. I went to watch Rolf in the Acoustic tent. James were due on while the match was playing but refused to play until the match was finished I seem to recall.

England v Colombia - Anderton and Beckham with the goals 2-0 to England.

04...Euro's England v Romania(?) biggest crowd ever at the Main Stage for a non-performer...I buggered off to Brixton Academy to watch Orbital...who in turn were late on cos we lost on penalities!

It was versus Portugal!

:rolleyes:

Looking at the World cup web site if England are in group A,B,C or D hopefully they will be playing in the last 16 on either the the Saterday or Sunday matches at 4 or 8.30. South africa is one hour ahead making the kick off at 5 or 9.30 showing the full mach and posibly extra time and pens would cause a problem. If England are in group E or F the final group game are on Thursday no problems. Group G and H final group games on the friday same times as Sat Sun for groups A, B, C and D so hopefully England will have qualified by then. When the draw is made in december lets hope England are in group E or F.

Group stages will be okay, as it'll be known in advance when England are playing, they can work the Pyramid schedule around it. But if the quarters might clash with Sunday then you're screwed as they can't work the schedule around something that may or may not happen.

As such, I can see them putting the outdoor cinema back into service for the games, short-cutting the problem entirely. If they're unwilling or can't do this I can see the possibility of them just announcing ahead of time that no football will be shown so that people get the option to stay at home.

Not to put a downer on anything, but this is the first time there could be a real, unavoidable clash and... well, there's a reason James haven't been invited back to Glasto after '98

Shove it in the cinema tent. Like last year (for Maximo at the small tent) if anyone's realy keen then they'll be there early. Guys kicking a ball about or maybe Macca?, not a hard decision for me realy. No complaints about them putting it on somewhere thou.

I think that if England were playing on a tue wed thur then it would have to be on the main stage. If they were playing at same time as a headlinder then the other stage would be better as I imagine a lot of people would prefer to watch the music. But there is no way personally I would miss an important England world cup game even if it meant leaving the site for a while

This could be problematic for the organisers with a high chance of an important game being on at a difficult time. What do you do? Argue it is an arts festival and football should play a minor role or look at the crowd that came to the England V Portugal game where more people watched the game than were in the stadium? Which band would like to follow an England defeat? (you can make your own suggestions  ) There is the possibility that even if the old outside cinema was dusted off the field would not be big enough. So what to do hope in December that England are in a high draw ie e- h and England win their first two matches, failing that an early kick off.

This could be problematic for the organisers with a high chance of an important game being on at a difficult time. What do you do? Argue it is an arts festival and football should play a minor role or look at the crowd that came to the England V Portugal game where more people watched the game than were in the stadium? Which band would like to follow an England defeat? (you can make your own suggestions ? ) There is the possibility that even if the old outside cinema was dusted off the field would not be big enough. So what to do hope in December that England are in a high draw ie e- h and England win their first two matches, failing that an early kick off.
Edited by dr_billy

If England are playing at the same time as headliners the old cinema might be okay. When they showed England v Columbia (?) in '98 the first half was only on in the cinema field. The second half only was shown on the pyramid before James partly during the set-up time as I recall. The cinema field had a massive crowd but coped.

The England v Portugal match in 2004 was on the Thursday night when not much was on, hence the colossal crowd. An England match might well have less demand if a massive band were on, unless of course that band were English and refused to play 'til it finished, in which case show it on their stage.

Edit: It'll annoy the BBC a fair bit I guess if they lose a couple of hours prime time Pyramid performance at short notice. They might have to show some Jazz stage footage.

General interest in football especially when England are playing in summer tournaments is a lot higher than it was in 1998.

You only have to look at pubs in any town across the country when England are playing to see that. The amount of friends of mine that go to watch games during this is incredible, even if they have virtually no interest in the game the rest of the time.

England could either play their final group game on the Weds, Thurs or Fri. This would be known months in advance so provisions could be made if they were to show it on one of the major stages.

The problems could start that if England qualify from their group and are drawn to play in the evening of the Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

The best result would be that if England are drawn in the knockout stage to play during the afternoon where it wouldn't impact on a top end performer on the stage. Because even if they put it on the Cinema field then it would affect their crowd.

Any game would either kick off at 3pm or 7.30pm because of the time difference.

However there is also another factor to consider that is if we are drawn to play our knockout game at 3pm on the Monday - can you imagine the chaos as people try to get off site to get home or wherever to see the game!