Carry On Camping

Guest Storm_NL

A few questions concerning camping for the BD first=timer.

(i) Is the camping really all on a vicious slope?

(ii) Will my tipi fall over?

(iii) We plan to get there around mid-day. But... well, you know how these things go... How quickly does the camping area fill up?

(iv) How's the spacing between the tents? Is it Glasto Big Ground horrific?

(v) What is the distribution of such things as water taps, toilets, and shower blocks (I've heard some people use them at festivals) like?

I think that's it for now.

I'm getting quite giddy with excitement... :P

Thanks in advance for your kind answers to my random questions.

Good questions!

I've sent a similarish message to the BD crew I have on FB...awaiting replies now. :)

Are we all camping together/is there at least a wee crew going to form cos I R coming all me on ownsome and kinda need at least one friendly face to camp with if poss! :)

The general campsite is on a hill, but there are flattish patches to be found, especially near the top of the slope where it evens out quite a lot, and on the extreme edges of the site - the worst of the gradient is up the centre path, I think.

I've no experience of tipis myself, but I've seen them at BDays and I'm pretty certain they stayed upright for the duration!

We have arrived bang on 9am for the past two years and found the favourite pitching areas already claimed by the ubiquitous 'tent villages' - you know the ones? A handful of people with the glint of a property developer in their eye, a dozen unerected tents spread out on the ground, windbreaks, gazebos, taped off gardens etc etc.

There will still be a reasonable amount of space by lunchtime, but you'll have missed out on anything the 'right distance' from taps, toilets and tea, or close to a fence, tree or pathway, I would imagine.

I don't think the tent spacing is anything like as dire as Glasto's Big Ground (thank God!) and there's usually been more space down towards the Bimble Inn area (bottom right as you enter the field) rather than the top end of the site where the best view of the main stage is.

Apart from in the arenas, the majority of taps and toilets are around the perimeter of the camping field, though that isn't quite as scary as it sounds because the field is sort of oval shaped and you're never really more than staggering distance from them.

There's only been one shower block in the general camping are in previous years - usually on the far right hand side near the top of the hill as you walk up the main paths.

Obviously, all this is based on earlier layouts and may change this year so don't take my word for it!

Have a great time and I'll look out for the tipi.

:)

Apart from the family camping area, I've always camped up at the northern end of the Glatonbury site (toward the bus station and where the cinema used to be) as I hate the overcrowding elsewhere, but I usually feel quite unhassled by the camping arrangements at BDays.

If I was into giving advice, I'd probably suggest taking a rightish turn as you enter the camping field, I think you're more likely to find space in that area later in the day.

Apart from the family camping area, I've always camped up at the northern end of the Glatonbury site (toward the bus station and where the cinema used to be) as I hate the overcrowding elsewhere, but I usually feel quite unhassled by the camping arrangements at BDays.

If I was into giving advice, I'd probably suggest taking a rightish turn as you enter the camping field, I think you're more likely to find space in that area later in the day.

The crush of Big Ground and Pennards always scared the hell out of me!

The really nice thing about B Days is there's about 160,000 fewer people there than at Glastonbury and if you're fit and sober, you could probably walk from the entrance of the camping field to the end of it in less than 5 minutes.

After acquainting yourself with Otters Ales and scrumpy, it might take a little longer!

Edited by quisling

The crush of Big Ground and Pennards always scared the hell out of me!

The really nice thing about B Days is there's about 160,000 fewer people there than at Glastonbury and if you're fit and sober, you could probably walk from the entrance of the camping field to the end of it in less than 5 minutes.

After acquainting yourself with Otters Ales and scrumpy, it might take a little longer!

I am just heading there and hoping someone will answer a phone cos I got noone to camp with but hoping to be with the BT and mini Efests crew.

MUST remember to take moby numbers of FB! :lol:

It fills up fast, and the flat bits are only here and there, there's a couple of caterers (main food stalls in the arena) and a bouncy castle, loos, and lots of kids, it's a much longer walk home each night from the arena as it's on the other side of the valley.

But off setting that is that it's quiet, you are also expected to be quiet, and kids do get up early and run around the site chasing each other laughing, gamboling and generally having fun. There's also a big storytelling area, and a few random surprises for kids.

So the choice is one long walk on arrival and departure or lots of longish walks each morning and night There are cycle taxis on site usually which I've used every year, just park up walk down, ask how much, and find one and direct them to your car, it's an easy option for those with a lot of kit. Finding someone to share reduces the price too - as they can carry a lot of kit.

Yes but when they park you up make sure you get room for it before they park another alongside too close, they park you up as close as possible in double rows but they do keep the access clear so you can drive out if necessary.

see you there tomorrow (I'm in a blue type 25 poptop under the flag of Tibet) setting off today to meet up and overnight with Keef at his mums in Taunton