shocking

Guest crass

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think this idea is born of an genius...

glastonburyCleanup1.jpg

The biggest cost of running the Glastonbury festival is the clearing up afterwards. Magnet Sales has supplied a giant magnet which can be attached to the front of a tractor and used to pick up any magnetic material such as tent pegs and drinks cans.

More here.

OK, to refine my idea, and the latitude scheme:

Don't bother with good quality cups that you keep, needing collecting, washing out, etc. Just encourage people to take their old paper cup back to the bar. Don't serve people without an old cup (in whatever state). Exchange old cup for a fresh one with a pint in. Bin the old cup behind the bar. If you need a cup, you either: a) go to somewhere that hands them out (few and far between, maybe at a minimal cost); or B ) you pick up a used one! Maybe cups can be returned to the cup-point for a refund - imagine how much you could make collecting cups from the Jazz World and returning them - hence imagine how clean it would be! :P

Going back to the camping equipment being left on site...

They were talking on Simon Mayo's show this evening about how people should go camping more and that there are many cheap tents to be had etc. Also mentioned taking them to festivals... So I thought I'd text in with the YouTube video in mind and whaddya know, he only read it out!

listen at 1hr 25m 45s

There is a major flaw in this plan.

Where are people to get their paper cup from in the first place? If they need an old paper cup to get a drink, what are they going to do on Wednesday when there are no paper cups littering the ground?

Going back to the camping equipment being left on site...

They were talking on Simon Mayo's show this evening about how people should go camping more and that there are many cheap tents to be had etc. Also mentioned taking them to festivals... So I thought I'd text in with the YouTube video in mind and whaddya know, he only read it out!

listen at 1hr 25m 45s

There is a major flaw in this plan.

Where are people to get their paper cup from in the first place? If they need an old paper cup to get a drink, what are they going to do on Wednesday when there are no paper cups littering the ground?

Edited by GingerRock

They collect one from a "cup collection point". Maybe one per field. Maybe less. Maybe you pay a nominal fee for your first cup. Maybe you don't. The point is that they are not at the bar, so it's more convenient for drinkers to to exchange their old (or a found) cup at the bar, than get a new one.

Bars give you a drink in a fresh cup. But you must bring an old cup back.

Edited by GingerRock

They collect one from a "cup collection point". Maybe one per field. Maybe less. Maybe you pay a nominal fee for your first cup. Maybe you don't. The point is that they are not at the bar, so it's more convenient for drinkers to to exchange their old (or a found) cup at the bar, than get a new one.

Bars give you a drink in a fresh cup. But you must bring an old cup back.

the bars won't go for this, as it means that if it works, they'll have a mountain of used paper cups to dispose of. The sturdy plastic washable cup works far better because people to look after it as its worth 2 quid. A really don't think a nominal fee of say 20p will deter folk from, lobbing it on the ground... it may make kids collect for a bit of pocket money, but is this what they really want! If folk can leave behind 10's of pounds worth of camping equipment etc, 20p isn't going to bother them. The plastic cup is tried and test (albeit at a small festival), but it does work. And sad as I am... if I had a plastic cup with Brothers branding on it.. I'd want to take it home!

Maybe you were the very drunk guy I saw on the Wednesday afternoon. He was swaying next to a group of bins, looking very confused as he tried to work out which one to put his can in. took him ages, but when he finally got it he gave himself a little round of applause and left with the biggest grin on his face, very proud of himself.

Did make me smile. Just hope he was still tring as hard on th Sunday.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the bars to take some responsibility. They just need a bin behind the bar, and someone occasionally emptying it. Wouldn't adding the facilities for washing a cup out, and whatever health+safety issues (if any) be more of a pain than that?

Agreed, the plastic cup thing could work (and is obviously proven at other festivals). But I for one wouldn't want to carry a plastic cup around all weekend, and would have no interest in taking it home. I'm not sure I'd want to drink out of the same cup all weekend. And I'm not sure if branded plastic cups is "Glasto". Seems more McD's or Disneyworld to me :)

Alternatively, bars could simply have more people wandering about collecting used cups off the floor. I just think getting the punters to do it would be a novel approach :)

The washing of the cups might prove to be the sticking point.

How would this be co-ordinated? Would cups be washed near the bars, or transferred to a central location? Who would transport all these cups, how frequently would this be needed?

How would washing facilities be provided?

It is good that this works on a small scale, but I am not convinced that this can be managed easily for a festival the size of Glastonbury, and also concerned about the carbon footprint caused by transporting all these cups, and the power needed to wash the cups properly.

The returning of the paper cup for reissue appears to be a more manageable solution, along with the two queues.

I don't think bars would like the idea of a central paper cup collection point, as their customers would wander off to the collection point, and might think that the half-mile hike back through a crowd of people isn't worth it when they can get a pint at a much closer bar.

Bars each issuing paper cups in a seperate queue is going to be more appealing to them.

Edited by FunkyDenz

The washing of the cups might prove to be the sticking point.

How would this be co-ordinated? Would cups be washed near the bars, or transferred to a central location? Who would transport all these cups, how frequently would this be needed?

How would washing facilities be provided?

It is good that this works on a small scale, but I am not convinced that this can be managed easily for a festival the size of Glastonbury, and also concerned about the carbon footprint caused by transporting all these cups, and the power needed to wash the cups properly.

However if the clean-up could be completed quicker, by us actually helping to clean up during the festival, then this will save money spent on litter pickers. This money can then be sent to charities.

If we ensure all tents are removed then this will reduce use of landfills.

Think that is a breakdown of the procleanup comments on this thread.

I have left no trace every year except 2007.. think that was the worst year for stuff being left.. It was pissin it down monday morning, and my tent had been ripped apart by people falling on it. This year i packed car sunday morning.. all rubbish in bags placed by the bins. No trace.

I've always left late on monday so I'm perhaps a little less shocked by it than some who haven't seen it like that before. I'd say this year was better than last year and certainly a whole lot better than '07. Looking at the video 95% of people took their tents home and a majority did tidy their pitch so the write up to the video is a bit unfair to say "A festival created by people who care, for people who mostly don't". It only takes minority to leave their rubbish scattered about to make it look like that.

Not excusing it - just sayin.

Anyway here's my yearly outing of a picture of Pennards taken monday evening 1993.

campmondayPB01.jpg

quite a bit tidier than these days with well bagged up rubbish dotting the field, although pennards had less people in it back then, camping equipment wasn't so cheap and it was commonplace for people to bring their cars in for the pack down which probably makes a difference.

(cotton ridge tent on left is mine and I still have it, but knackered folding chair on right got left behind)

but as clearly stated by yourself... you DON"T clear up after yourself, rather relying on others to do so.

So, in my eyes, you are still lazy, selfish, immature, arrogant and unwilling to educate yourself... if you had an epiphany... and thought, shit, I'm wrong, I really should make an effort, I would retract my view of you, but you haven't and your just as blinkered. I really don't get your attitude.

You seem to have misread what I wrote?

'organise systems to clean'

I was expressing my pride in humanity for being able to cleverly organise ourselves in such a way as to have the site entirely cleared in 11 days.

It's not about me clearing it up, it's about us, humanity as a whole, clearing it up. I contributed to the task with my £175, others contributed with physical labour.

Anyhow, the site is cleared, the cows are safe, and butterflys can flutter happily over Pilton once more. Well done us. Group hug?! :D