I broke into Glasto....

Guest Doomz

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wearing a hat and sunglasses and wasn't asked to remove them to check my photo. I imagine this is pretty common; it certainly happened to plenty people I know. So, in practical terms, the photo isn't always going to provide 100% foolproof identification. If it can't be relied up totally, the festival will have to go with the no ticket, tough luck policy because they can't guarantee that someone else isn't going to be using your ticket. Given the need to put up the fence etc, I imagine they're on a pretty tight leash when it comes to numbers, so they can't risk a system in which people can get through.

It is, because someone else could still get in on that ticket. Plus there isn't a system available at the gates to check the photos.

I say we go back to 1970!

A quid to get in, no fence, free milk and great big hairy lady beavers!

Aaah.. a golden age it t'was...

Wouldnt require custom written software a simple program linked to the Seetickets Database and the glastonburyregistration Database run a report and could pull it up quite easily....wouldnt have to be a site wide computer system would just need an internet connection really.....and maybe a printer for the tickets.

I know things are never this simple and I'm no systems analyst/architect... but it's not impossible.

it's not imposssible.

But it has to work faultlessly, and expecting it to do so is a significant risk to the smooth management of the festival. Not surprisingly, the festival would rather not take on risks it doesn't need to - it has more than enough risks it keep a handle on already, and has a gate system that works and doesn't have real need to be changed.

I said your tone was harsh. 'Arse wiping' and 'pathetic' were phrases you used and the general tone was harsh - I am not the only one to have noticed.

I don't know you but I assume as a Glastophile you are a decent bloke and if I could hear you rather than just read the words then I might think differently - the problems with forums I guess.

Along the lines of.......

"What an awful story. I am glad you managed to get in and I am sure you have learnt your lesson. Glastonbury have done many innovative things over the past few years regarding tickets to stamp out touting and stick to their strict licensing criteria. Unfortunatley they can only manage things within their control and customers losing tickets is something they are unable to legislate for. There are no full-proof systems but I know for a fact that they continue to look at what is available and look at ways to improve. For the tiny proportion of people in a similar position to you this may sound harsh but better that they have their strict stance than risk the influx of blaggers and cheats and lose their licence. Hope you will be more careful next year...blah blah."

See the difference?

Not patronising you am I? :lol:

On a side note - have they considered having barcode readers at every gate?...... :(:(;):(:lol:

.........scan tickets on entry.

I know they've looked into a system like that, and considered it to be unworkable for a whole number of reasons, including the fact that in bad weather it's thought almost impossible to be able to keep such a system working at every gate.

Edited by ThomThomDrum

I'd be happy with a lost ticket czar onsite, might be unworkable, but if you

have Mr Shifty turn up claiming to have lost their ticket (and I saw people

do this, with no camping equipment, extra clothes or money), and

Mr Ticket-Losing-Bellend who has obviously not slept for over 48

hours and has the bleary eyed panic of the honestly f**ked over, I'd

say that it would be relatively easy to spot the difference. I could

do it easily, while sat ruminating by pedestrian gate A. Pupils like

pin pricks, carrying a 30 metre length of rope and tent-less? Probably

trying to break in methinks....

eh?

All I said was that the suggestion was a good one... granted I no f**k all about systems, but it seemed a good suggestion nonetheless. What on earth is fictional about that?! I still think you are rude, and I still think you are harsh... but lets be honest, you seem to bulldoze every opinion or suggestion, so I really don't expect you to take notice of that one!

the fiction was you thinking me rude when you got a perfectly civil - and definitely not rude - answer.

But perhaps I'm doing it wrong for your world. :(

Love, big hugs and lots of fluffy kisses,

Neil.

:(

this year, a friend of mine who runs a crew of almost 30 people in the greenfields was going frantic because all our crew tickets had arrived but his hadn't. he contacted his fiels co-ordinator who said replacement tickets were no available and "we'll use our contacts to get your crew in" ie smuggle/blag etc......thats almost 30 people, all arriving at different times. so even crew can't get replacements. i think that is very poor indeed.

turns out the field co-ordinator didn't use recorded delivery AND had posted the package 15p too little, so it was waiting at the post office. DOH !

i do think there should be a system in place to sort it out.

i think the OP has been treated a b it harshly by nial.

i always meet quite a few folk who get in without a ticket and to expect the festi to end just cos a few extra get in is bollox. the fence and entry system is good enough so that a few slipping thro' the net can't be compared to the days when the fence came down.