Chairs

Guest MissB

Im sorry but having a chair and big f**k off bag in the pit during a packed evening set is just selfish and nothing is gonna convince me otherwise, it would be so easy aswell to fold it up and put it at the back on the metal bit in front of the crush barrier. Having the f**ker up tripping people over and taking up loads of space that could be used by others who want to see the set close up is stupid, irritating and really just being a total c**t packet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the sort of thing that has convinced me that Glastonbury is not what it was. The festival is supposed to be for everyone, whatever the race, creed, age, sex or anything else. Maybe the bod sitting reading when Blur were on didn't like them, but others he was with did. Should be be banished from the site?

Should the festival still be going in 30 years, I wonder how many of the whingers will be using chairs? Many will as life's little battle scars (motorbike accident in my case) catch up with them. Why do so many (youngsters mostly it seems) think that the festival is put on soley for their benefit, and anyone else's needs should be casually brushed aside as whatever it is irritates them in some way.

Many of those using chairs might well be on the way ending up in wheelchairs in the coming years, being only able to stand for a short time for some reason - should they be banned too? Or banished to the edges of the crowd?

The utter selfishness displayed by so many posters here is really quite astounding - do they never think that one day but for the grace of god go they? Just because someone has the requisite number of legs and arms doesn't mean they don't have problems.

And, of course, they might just be happier sitting down - each unto their own, and who's to say they are wrong?

i think my post was deleted :lol:

sorry if that offended anyone. Well to put my point acorss in a more eloquentl way - people should leave their chairs at their campsites and if they cant stand all day either sit on the floor or stay at home.

wow I'm actually quite shocked that someone stewarding at the festival (if indeed your name is as it suggests) could be quite so callous. Maybe a change of job is in order? Are you perhaps suggesting that my friend who is in every way a part of festival , a musician himself (in fact he PLAYED in Shangri La this weekend) and a longterm festival goer should 'stay at home' purely because he was unfortunate enough to be born with spina bifida?

Grow the f**k up.

I think the issues are getting muddled here. Surely noone is suggested an outright ban on chairs but common sense would suggest that towards the front of a massive arena when the most popular bands are on they are a bad idea. The "I've paid my ticket price" doesn't really wash, you'd hardly be able to bring a chair to the front of say brixton academy and sit down. There probably needs to be a "standing circle" at the front and maybe "chair free" walkways or even chair friendly areas to give everyone the best expreience. Personally I wasn't ever that close to the front for it to make a difference

People people...are you not reading these messages properly or just getting so incensed you cant read properly???

Noone is saying ban them completely are they? Noone is saying send all people with mobility issues to the back or to the disability platform are they now?

The crux of this is the lack of consideration isnt it? Simple and easy. An announcement could and would maybe make a difference and tbh...if what Efestivals says is true that GFL read these boards, there are enough moaning threads about this that may just see a change next year for the better. Noone is saying EVERYONE has to stand up but an announcement and plea for consideration should perhaps come into force. Ok so you cant bombard the audience with endless messages...there are enough already but public service announcements, not just the help Greenpeace and WaterAid ones wouldnt go amiss perhaps.

It is very clear there are a LOT of very unhappy people pissed off with the over abundance of chairs (a lot unused) leading to a lack of space in the Pyramid Field. Rolf Harris wouldnt have probably been as packed had everyone put their chairs away too!

People people...are you not reading these messages properly or just getting so incensed you cant read properly???

Noone is saying ban them completely are they? Noone is saying send all people with mobility issues to the back or to the disability platform are they now?

The crux of this is the lack of consideration isnt it? Simple and easy. An announcement could and would maybe make a difference and tbh...if what Efestivals says is true that GFL read these boards, there are enough moaning threads about this that may just see a change next year for the better. Noone is saying EVERYONE has to stand up but an announcement and plea for consideration should perhaps come into force. Ok so you cant bombard the audience with endless messages...there are enough already but public service announcements, not just the help Greenpeace and WaterAid ones wouldnt go amiss perhaps.

It is very clear there are a LOT of very unhappy people pissed off with the over abundance of chairs (a lot unused) leading to a lack of space in the Pyramid Field. Rolf Harris wouldnt have probably been as packed had everyone put their chairs away too!

all the oldies watching Crosby Stills and Gash were the worst. We thought they would be moving on once Kasabian started, but oh no, they stayed inside the barrier, with their stupid chairs, and then looked angry whenever anyone nudged into them.

Worse than that, one old fella had a puppet on his hand and was pretending it could talk, so we asked him if he liked kasabian (the puppet, not the bloke), when his wife/husband/pet/ whatever it was decided to have a go at us for talking!!! Your fella was the one with a puppet on his hand pretending it talked you div!!

That is all.

So... I kept this title short as I imagine this will bring people in droves judging by other threads...

Can someone help me here... I don't understand the issue?

I have been going to Glasto since the 90s and I have never had an issue with chairs being there... perhaps right at the front in a mosh pit might be annoying but ban chairs altogether? This seems very discriminatory to me.. have you considered those with mobility issues that pay equal amounts to attend Glasto and may not be able to stand for long periods of time, like my good friend that I went with this year and who attends every year for example.. he suffers from back and feet problems making standing or sitting on the floor very hard and would be in severe pain if he stood for a 2 hour set without the ability to rest now and then on his wee camping stool...

I'm not trying to start a row with this thread, but I'd really like to know just what it is that is so bad about them? I would prefer to be able to party with people of all mobility than just people dancing their hearts out whilst others can't come to the main stages because they aren't allowed to sit down?

I find it interesting that all the fields around the main stages have forms / benches around the outside, but none stuck in the middle of the fields. Why do you think this is ?

Perhaps because the organisers realise that there are serious health and safety issues having obstructions in packed crowds that no-one can see (especially in the dark).

There's no getting away from the fact that people sat in chairs cause an obstruction in the massive crowds that gather for the main bands.

If Heysel, Hillsborough, etc. taught us anything, its that lots of people gathered in one place, with obstructions of whatever kind, only needs a couple of people to lose their footing and we're into a trampling situation.

I haven't got a problem with chairs per se, but they should be banned from at least the first 100 metres of any stage. Simple notices (or dare I say it, flags) indicating 'no chairs beyond this point' should suffice.

Are we wanting people killed before something is done about this issue ?

Edited by Nickyboy

The chairs did frustrate me but at the same time I was slightly envious - especially by 3pm on Saturday and Sunday once the recuperation of sleep had worn off. But i was thinking of a compromise - seeing as it is busier in front anyway why not 'politely request' for chairs to be kept behind the secind set of speakers in the pyramis field. Its more relaxed back there anyway and therefore wouldnt ause as much of a problem.

That said was it just me or were there simply more chairs this year - particularly on Sunday. Im all for people doing s they wish - that is the wonder of Glasto but a little consideration would be appreciated for non chair dwelling beings - maybe packing up the chairs at peak times. I saw some guys with the stool version pack theirs away when they weren't using them. Small difference but i appreciated the effort.

Does this make me a chair hater? Seeing as I was envious I don't think so - just trying to make the best for all! ;)

Whilst i am on the subject of banning items. The cannot ban flags - move your bloody cameras instead! (I don't carry one myself as it is a hassle to carry but I do love seeing them)

please tell me this thread is a joke. is everyone having bad comedowns or something?

Edited by mouth

all the oldies watching Crosby Stills and Gash were the worst. We thought they would be moving on once Kasabian started, but oh no, they stayed inside the barrier, with their stupid chairs, and then looked angry whenever anyone nudged into them.

I agree. However 'chilled' you are, sometimes the crowds at festivals can get a bit scary, if you're being pushed and pulled from every which way, and chairs at this point were really dangerous. At Blur I was surrounded by about 4 or 5 chairs, including one right in front of me. As it was dark, people kept shoving against me (assuming I could move into what appeared to be an empty space in front of me), and I almost fell over the chair several times. If that had happened, the crowd could have easily surged over me accidentally. It *is* dangerous, and this is why there is a special area for people with mobility problems, as having a wheelchair slap bang in the middle of a dense dancing crowd would not be that sensible.

I have no problem with chairs per se, but people really need to be sensible with them in busy crowds, especially during sets and immeditately before and after them when there is a lot of movement in the crowd. When people hit a wall of chairs whilst trying to exit a crowded area, it creates a bottleneck, with people behind still pushing, and it could become dangerous.

I have a bag that can take all my booze/wet gear etc. and is relatively small but also magically turns into a small chair.Very handy and wouldn't go to a festival without it although you look like a smug bastard.I can see how the bigger chairs can cause problems.