Glastonbury to start Tuesday in 2010?

Guest UEF

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'MON Eavis

forget the cows(or scale them back a bit)

make it into a round the year campsite - you'll make more money than dairy farming*

You could license some traders, who would want to stay on.

even create a few semi-permanant communities

*note this is based on no figures what so ever. just my enthusiasm to go there a few times a year

Can't believe how much people are loving their cars on this forum.

The only bad thing about public transport to glasto is that you have to queue for literally years. I've driven the last 2 years (although both times its been a fiesta with 5 people in it!!!!, I think i'd rather a coach) but tbh I don't think ME should put one minute of his time into making it easier for car drivers.

If the public transport wasn't so overwhelmed it would be by far the best way to get to the festival, and I'm sure that adding a tuesday would make it easier. Lots of people have said they wouldn't want to go on the tuesday, or wouldn't be able to get time off, and that's the whole point, stagger when people arrive, make it easier for public transport, screw the cars.

I think GFL had a real good opportunity when they first came up with the 'n' thousand extra tickets for coaches/trains only. Yeah, I know it was more of a licensing kinda thing but still a good opportunity to make peeps actually think about using public transport in general and promote the benefits. The sad thing of course is that they totally screwed it up bigtime by providing the most cr@p/expensive service possible and it was a complete disaster in so many ways. That one single c*ck up the first year of not doing things properly by choosing a reliable and professional company to organise the coaches did more for turning peeps off public transport in general than all the car manufacturers ever could even if they joined forces !!

re: coach vs car

i can't remember the exact figures, but thw coaches stats were taken from glasto official site

from memory my workings out were:

car = 4 people doing 45mph = 180 people mpg

coach = 25 people doing 7mpg = 175 people mpg

i've had a few cans and my memory is vague (so they could be totally wrong) but that what i remember

Edited by mikeb

I'd like to see the gates open on Tuesday, but think they should keep entertainment (official) low key from Wednesday evening as it is now. I'm not sure as many people as are assumed on here are that bothered about "bagsying" the best spots, most would prefer less traffic congestion. I'd swap not being first on site for arriving easily on Wednesday morning and an extra night in a comfy bed if I knew I wasn't missing too much.

On the car/coach/train carbon footprint thing there is a lot of hypocritical snobbery going on. As has been pointed out elsewhere several times before PCs are not fantastically ecologically sound. I also wonder what those who campaign aginst patio heaters on a fuel efficiency basis would have made of Arcadia.

For some people (like myself) their jobs would not be possible without owning a car, and so tax/depreciation have virtually no impact on the cost, and it is simply petrol cost vs ticket price. We got from home to Glastonbury and back on £50 tank of petrol despite an 8 hour queue to get in, and £10 car parking ticket. I'm not sure what the coach tickets would have cost from Swansea but I think the saving would have been marginal if anything on the coach for 2 of us, and a lot more inconvenience. We would have had 3 of us in the car if things had worked out a bit better.

I'd love a public transport system that worked, but we aint got one. I'll go in my not very efficient car thanks, and try to share the lift with as many of my friends as possible.

Um, no clearly NOT assumptions in any way whatsoever because you actually said and I quote:

Intentionally or otherwise, that tells me that you 100% did not research options and it comes straight from you - no assumptions necessary at all !!! Several potential options clearly do exist and therefore your statement is either totally and maybe intentionally incorrect or at the very least intentionally misleading just to prove your point. As I went on to say, if you genuinely had looked into travel options then you presumably would have said that there were in fact various options but none of them were realistic given your particular circumstances ... and that *is* an assumption of course but one based on what most reasonable peeps would do if they were discussing the subject.

If you're going to make definitive statements to try to justify something then it's always a very good thing to at least make sure that they're correct, valid and not overly ambiguous or missing vital detail. Otherwise you risk getting caught out and all that by appearing to be substantially less than honest and/or simply twisting the reality to support your particular argument :rolleyes:

The only bad thing about public transport to glasto is that you have to queue for literally years. I've driven the last 2 years (although both times its been a fiesta with 5 people in it!!!!, I think i'd rather a coach) but tbh I don't think ME should put one minute of his time into making it easier for car drivers.

If the public transport wasn't so overwhelmed it would be by far the best way to get to the festival, and I'm sure that adding a tuesday would make it easier. Lots of people have said they wouldn't want to go on the tuesday, or wouldn't be able to get time off, and that's the whole point, stagger when people arrive, make it easier for public transport, screw the cars.

Edited by dr_billy

Blimus. One is so pedantic and argumentative. Thats the problem with writing stuff down. It is often misconstrued... and any small sentence can be deconstructed.

At the risk of boring myself here, the various options HAD been looked into, as explained, jumping in the car was a preferable option both timewise and convenience wise and cost wise. The North pole to Glastonbury exists if you so desire, so I apologise for my initial glib statement, however I feel that you got the general gist.

Improve the transport, then cars won't seem so attractive. Don't open on a tuesday.

goodnight.

Edited by mikeb

I love my car.

Not at you Lost Riot, but generally. I need a car. I could have bought a Prius (Pious?) but am more of the Jeremy Clarkson mindset in this instance as I like driving (safely). We all get our kicks different ways, I haven't flown for 2 or 3 years. I think some of the holier than thou stuff on here is a bit much. I don't see why there is a need to price people out of their cars for Glastonbury until a viable alternative is there for all. I also see no need for Tuesday to be only available for users of public transport.

Edit: Users of public transpot. I'm sure there are a few of them on here. :rolleyes:

Edited by mikeb

Not sure if that's aimed at me in particular or otherwise but I've never said anything about forcing car users away or pricing them out as such. I simply believe that peeps should consider all options and alternatives when they are available to them and then make a sensible and informed judgement. I also believe that incentives to consider more appropriate and sustainable alternatives are a reasonably good thing as well. However, there are many perfectly good and totally valid justifications for using a car. Likewise for flying. Likewise for many other things often considered as being 'bad' by someone or other. I do not support banning of cars any more than I support the banning of aircraft or anything else for that matter. It's all about achieving an overall balance and acting responsibly in general for everyone's benefit rather than taking a purely selfish "can't be @rsed about it" kinda stance. Let's face it, more peeps using public transport would (or at least should) actually help you with your car journey as well of course !

Public transport (for Glasto) exists, it is viable, it is (generally speaking) reliable, it is sustainable and it is without doubt in some/many cases very cost-effective ... but it most certainly isn't an appropriate and realistic option for everyone. However, the attempts by GFL to promote it's use are currently being somewhat undermined to a large degree by factors such as increased road traffic. This really needs to be addressed in some way or other if at all possible because otherwise it will just result in the vicious circle of even less peeps using public transport and even more traffic for everyone to contend with so no one wins ! Somehow having a car-free or an otherwise almost guaranteed reduced traffic day or period of time in order to facilitate better public transport provision simply has to be a good thing for everyone regardless of their specific travel arrangements.

If I lived in Camden I would not have a car.

1 bus an hour passes my house !

And its £2.20 to travel about 3 miles and 10 minutes

:rolleyes:

I take it your are a HOTS fan ?

We did our bit to prevent traffic chaos by arriving at Shepton at 6.00 am , only joined a q at 7.30 when

getting on site.

Which no doubt the locals will appreciate , cos I guess they were all tucked up in bed !

Opening the gates in the early hours may help , which is what Leeds are doing this year with the

campsite opening at 2.00 am !

If it rains next year (2007 style - i.e. all the f**king time), there will be a lot of very depressed, very tired people on site by Sunday.

Tuesday until Monday is simply too long to spend at Glastonbury.

You can have too much of a good thing. Limiting who can and cannot arrive a day earlier is asking for trouble. Then there's an extra day of littering to think about - it's bad enough now.

A big huge fat NO to Tuesday for me. Keep it how it is, if it leaves us wanting more by the Monday, and us counting down the days until the following year withing hours of getting home, the festival must be doing something right.

There are many things the festival could change for the better, but the amount of time it's open for is spot on and should be left alone IMHO.

If it rains next year (2007 style - i.e. all the f**king time), there will be a lot of very depressed, very tired people on site by Sunday.

Tuesday until Monday is simply too long to spend at Glastonbury.

You can have too much of a good thing. Limiting who can and cannot arrive a day earlier is asking for trouble. Then there's an extra day of littering to think about - it's bad enough now.

A big huge fat NO to Tuesday for me. Keep it how it is, if it leaves us wanting more by the Monday, and us counting down the days until the following year withing hours of getting home, the festival must be doing something right.

There are many things the festival could change for the better, but the amount of time it's open for is spot on and should be left alone IMHO.

agree.

As I said, my opinion is, they won't get a license to open another day. Queues are a given, just live with it and factor it into your journey. NO queues, a bonus. Happy Days!

Apparently some people were moaning that it took 8 hours or something to get to the site from the

M5 !

Well there is very little the organisers can do about that.

I heard there were massive q's to get into Cornwall at the weekend , can I blame Mr Eavis for that !

I don't think I could do an extra day.

For years I've wanted to go on Wednesday because I always feel like I'm missing out, and this year I was really glad we finally did, not just for "being there" but because finding somewhere to get he tent up would have been murder on Thursday.

Having said that - being there from Wednesday took so much more out of us. If we ended up having to be there on Tuesday to get a pitch, then that might be the end of it for us. I don't think I could do it and enjoy it - it would just be too much.

Having said that - if ME was serious about wanting a younger festival - this might do it!

Absolutely!

It took us 4 hours to get from just outside Shepton Mallet to the festival! Literally 1 mile an hour! It was fine... cranked up the stereo, there were folks playing footy and juggling etc on the A37, we bought some bacon butties and scrumpy from a house in Shepton... no worries!