Is it true?

Guest Funkyfairy!

Someone told me today that every day I should empty my tent and take everything to the left luggagey area- else things will be thieved - this includes my sleeping bag

If not I should expect everything to go while I'm out having fun !

This person is a seasoned campervan Glastonbury veteran

Should I worry?

That would seem quite extreme to me. :D Put anything of value in the lock ups or keep on your body. People do get things stolen at festivals but beyond a couple of cans of beer/red bull or a camping chair, it has never happened to anyone I have been with.

Don't panic... make friends with your neighbours and watch their tents when they are away in return for them watching yours...

Make a mess - really... no-one is going to rootle around through your crap in the hope that you might have left something there worth taking - they just don't want to spend more time than necessary.

Having said that - don't leave cameras, car keys or other valuable stuff around... you wouldn't at home so don't do it here.

Relax, we have never had a problem (so far...) but maybe we are truly messy people....

Hope you enjoy..

I smell a wind-up - there are reports every year about some level of thieving or other, but (say) 100 or 2 from amongst 80000 (?? pure guess) tents.

Been going for 10 years and never had anything taken.

But I wouldn't leave anything of value in the tent.

Cool thanks worry over

Obviously not gonna leave vaulables in tent - so will keep passport, money, car keys etc on me - and contact lenses !!!

Not too worried about everything else - just not particularly nice if I haven;t even got a sleeping bag to kip in

Shall go and have fun and hope for the best. I'm sure after the first skittles vodka I won;t give it a second thought :-)

Cheers everyone

Edited by jacks123

Cool thanks worry over

Obviously not gonna leave vaulables in tent - so will keep passport, money, car keys etc on me - and contact lenses !!!

Not too worried about everything else - just not particularly nice if I haven;t even got a sleeping bag to kip in

Shall go and have fun and hope for the best. I'm sure after the first skittles vodka I won;t give it a second thought :-)

Cheers everyone

Edited by Laura_Babs

A friend of mine had £120 stolen at V festival once. He left it on a burger stand, next to the brown sauce. In his defence, he is a drinken idiot. :D

Like Talk Show Bob said, since the Berlin Wall was built, burglarisation of the tents has apparently dropped massively. I would be less concerned at Glastonbury than any other festival. The principal fear for me is my tent and associated belongings being washed away in a five-day downpour... :D

I worked security last year. I was chatting with some of my colleagues who worked it the year before. Apparently, two lads managed to climb over the fence. However, they got on top of it, fell over, onto the festival side, and landed in a private area where security were taking a coffee break. Tragic... :D

The only things I'd put in the lockups would be valuables - spare cash, car keys, passport, possibly spare booze etc.

That said in 2005 I did use the lockups to store some spare clothes etc but only because my tent was nearly as old as me, and I didn't trust it to keep my stuff dry if it rained again... :lol:

Bless, no I sense a wind up!! Don't worry about your stuff other than the obvious.. valuabes which are small and you will usually want on you anyway - cash, mobile, camera etc. x

The teeves though are savvy to the stashing valuables UNDER the tent lark so yup, just use your local lock up for everything. The kids that work in them are lovely and you dont have to take the bags out and re-sign the bag in at the lock up if you are just putting or taking extra things out. Just say you want to get to your bag but have it put back. This helps especially if the lock up is full.

It also helps to get in early with all your gear cos the lock ups can and do get full.

Some anecdotal evidence:

I've been going since 1995. In all that time, I've never had anything stolen, nobody I know has had anything stolen, I have never seen a slashed tent. And that covers pre-superfence years.

On the other hand, I have heard reports of theft on this forum.

... and in 1994 a mate of mine woke up to find that his boots had been stolen - he had to walk down to Babylon with carrier bags on his feet, to spend the last of his cash on new boots.

Been going for years and one year had the tent turned over (not literally) but they didnt take anything (nothing worth anything left in it). We have an 8 man dome tent and find that if you put everything out of sight and leave the front door open it is safer. The year the tent was ransacked we had shut the zip so I suppose it looked more inviting and it is easier for a potential thief to shut the door behind them and not be seen.

Always left it open since and never had a problem.

One more thing - we once had a car window smashed. Didnt take anything then either but was bloody cold on the way home. Lessons learnt were - open glove compartments and remove parcel shelf showing that there is nothing worth stealing in the car.

Chill out. The best advice has been said before, dont leave anyhting in your tent that you would be upset if it was nicked. When our tent was raided my m8 called in a right state. I was at the Brothers bar and said "Oh well, never mind". Had to go back though coz she was in such a state. You dont go to Glasto to get stressed :rolleyes: .

Been going for years and one year had the tent turned over (not literally) but they didnt take anything (nothing worth anything left in it). We have an 8 man dome tent and find that if you put everything out of sight and leave the front door open it is safer. The year the tent was ransacked we had shut the zip so I suppose it looked more inviting and it is easier for a potential thief to shut the door behind them and not be seen.

Always left it open since and never had a problem.

One more thing - we once had a car window smashed. Didnt take anything then either but was bloody cold on the way home. Lessons learnt were - open glove compartments and remove parcel shelf showing that there is nothing worth stealing in the car.

Chill out. The best advice has been said before, dont leave anyhting in your tent that you would be upset if it was nicked. When our tent was raided my m8 called in a right state. I was at the Brothers bar and said "Oh well, never mind". Had to go back though coz she was in such a state. You dont go to Glasto to get stressed B) .