William's Green Area Announced

Guest mike99

We're very pleased to announce a new area for this year's Festival, William's Green. The new area is named after Michael Eavis' grandfather, who was the first person to plant crops at Worthy Farm.

William's Green is located on the crossroads of the main drag from Pyramid towards The Acoustic Tent and the main drag from the Meeting Point to the Greenfields. The area is easily recognisable by the Leftfield Tower, a landmark which can be seen all over the site.

The Queen's Head, previously in the Other Stage field, will be central to William's Green, with a terrific bill including The Wombats, Jason Mraz and Maximo Park. That last act will open the stage at 4pm on Thursday, June 25th.

The Snug, immediately next to the Queen’s Head is another venue in its own right, featuring themed SingStar sessions and DJ sets. Or take it easy, put your feet up, and spend some time in the Playstation booths.

Chai Wallah will offer a place to chill ‘til the early hours with its relaxed grooves, but if you want to boogie the night away, Joe Banana's Silent Disco will be kicking from Wednesday evening onwards.

Also, right beside the Meeting Point will be a double sided 25 metre square screen showing short films, highlights of performances on the main stages from the previous day and performances from the Queen’s Head. Street theatre will be well to the fore in William’s Green with a multitude of walkabout performances.

As you arrive at William’s Green during the day, a new circus stage on the roadside will provide knockabout fun. The area also features a host of shopping and eating places, plus The Bandstand (playing from Wednesday) and a new sound system, Reggae Delights, both just round the corner.

It promises to be a vibrant entertainment destination, right at the heart of the Festival site.

www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk

A screen showing highlights of previous days is a cracking idea!!! Any time you're passing you can have a quick look and catch with what's been actually going on while you were lounging around drinking..... :D

It's no Left-Field replacement, and it doesn't seem like it will have the indivdual character of the other areas, but hey, looks like it'll be a pleasant meeting ground. Plus, fingers crossed the Queens Head will actually be a decent music venue now. I'm hoping so anyway, because I can't wait to see Robyn Hitchcock there on the Sunday Night:-)))))

i like the idea of the screens. maybe it'll help me remember what i did the day before

this sounds like a big improvement on the leftfield

apart from the corporate playstation nonsense this sounds like a big improvement on the leftfield, especially the reggae soundsystem! :D although with a bit of luck the more overt corporate branding might be enough to keep billy bragg and phil jupitus from making an appearance there :D

Also, the Maximo Park thing..... don't bother even trying unless you're prepared to get there 4 hours early and not need the loo all day..

Glastonbury has had a tradition for the past few years of putting on acts on the Thursday which are way too big for the stages they're on and the number of people that are on site on the Thursday. They should have learned by now.

Also, the Maximo Park thing..... don't bother even trying unless you're prepared to get there 4 hours early and not need the loo all day..

Glastonbury has had a tradition for the past few years of putting on acts on the Thursday which are way too big for the stages they're on and the number of people that are on site on the Thursday. They should have learned by now.

Slightly surprised that the Leftfield Tower is still in place and under the same name., I guess it would be a pretty bad cheek to rename it though. Just surprised that it's being retained at all ...

with a bit of luck the more overt corporate branding might be enough to keep billy bragg and phil jupitus from making an appearance there

More Information about the big screen:

VILLAGE SCREEN

A unique collaboration between the UK's creative agencies and the BBC brings the Village Screen to Glastonbury for the first time this year. The screen will be used to showcase the work of some of the best new film making talent, digital artists and developers. We hope it will also entertain and add another exciting dimension to the Festival programme.

The 25m2 screens (there are two of them, back- to- back) will broadcast a mix of short films, archive footage, gaming sessions, classic pop and highlights of the BBC's coverage of the Festival from 10.00am to 3.00am every day.

The screens will also be used to launch an open call to young and emerging filmmakers and artists to submit short films and projects for the 2010 Village Screen and potential distribution to the UK network of Live Sites (big screens in city centres)

To me it sounds as if too much is trying to be shoved in to one place. One complaint from last year was the Queens Head was too close to the Other stage so this year ram in some other things next to a bigger (and probably louder) Queens head. This looks like a fill in for the Leftfield which hopefully will return next year.

Not quite - I too remember the dancers still speeding it away in front of the Joe Bananas stall and soundsystem on the corner as the sun came up the following morning . . . Used to be another big screen and soundsystem (sometimes with some lazer or other light effects), if I remember right in the middle of the Babylon Markets area, on the corner around where the bandstand is if memory serves. Both were popular then all night as everyone was into techno at the time . . . Remember dancing my arse off to The Grid in front of it back in 1994.

Slightly surprised that the Leftfield Tower is still in place and under the same name., I guess it would be a pretty bad cheek to rename it though. Just surprised that it's being retained at all ...

That's your 'laid back' opinion, and that of other Tories or near-Tories like bombfrog, my equally laid back opinion is that you sound like a bit of a faux-'controversial' knob, and that I hope Leftfield returns in some form next year.

Meanwhile, there's quite a few aspects of this Williams Green area that look more than OK as it goes :D .