Will Springsteen get his "stage"

Guest Jens Wildman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think any band or artist is bigger than the festival itself. Glasto would still be there even if BS wasn't playing.

I suppose that his presence makes a lot of people very happy but to suggest he's bigger than the festival is plain daft.

You coming over this year Jens ?

Most artists don't like a big gap between the stage and the audience...

Why is the space so big at the Pyramid stage?... it seems trather excessive to me

it needs to be bigger than some because of the space need by TV cameras.

But it's actually little different to other big festival stages - Reading actually has a bigger space.

And the Pryamid Stage at Glastonbury has a bigger crowd than just about any other stage in the country (the occasional Knebworth gig is the only thing bigger I think).... and so because of that bigger crowd, there needs to be a bigger space in case of emergencies.

Hmm.. look at that huge gap between the stage and the crowd.. I dont think he will get his "piers" either.. The Glastonbury crowd just cant be trusted appereantly ;)

it's probably less about Glastonbury and more about the sometimes over-the-top health and safety regulations that this country operates under.

But it's worth remembering that people have on occasions been killed in crushes at festival stages, such as at Donington in the late eighties and at Roskilde early this decade. Festivals are meant to be about enjoyment, and not death.

I'm unsure how much of the setup is due to safety regulations enforced on Glastonbury and how much is their own choice of doing things, but I do know that Michael Eavis is determined to do all he can to ensure that no one is killed at Glastonbury in the same way as has happened at other festivals. I don't think he can really be criticised for taking measures to ensure everyone's safety.

But it's worth remembering that people have on occasions been killed in crushes at festival stages, such as at Donington in the late eighties and at Roskilde early this decade. Festivals are meant to be about enjoyment, and not death.

Not over here he isn't. Macca plays one gig with Ringo, and it's all over the papers. Springsteen can't ever get that kind of response from the media, or is as widely known universally as Macca. Macca was humbled by playing Glasto. I don't know what Springsteen's response will be, but the idea that Glasto should feel honoured by his presence - piffle.

Not over here he isn't. Macca plays one gig with Ringo, and it's all over the papers. Springsteen can't ever get that kind of response from the media, or is as widely known universally as Macca. Macca was humbled by playing Glasto. I don't know what Springsteen's response will be, but the idea that Glasto should feel honoured by his presence - piffle.

I also think the Beatles are bigger than Springsteen. I dont think you heard that many solo tunes by Paul in the middle-east and Africa. Very few persons are bigger than their original bands.. Neil Young, Robbie Williams, Kurt Cobain, Ryan Adams.. is the first I think of.. there might be more..

Bono is smaller than U2.

Slash and Axl is smaller than Guns`n

Hetfield is smaller than Metallica

I'm just gonna repost my original post.....

There are no artists bigger than Glastonbury.

-It has been here for 40 years, it will be here for another 40 years. It's shelf life is a lot longer than any act.

-More people will pass through the gates over it's lifetime than go to see any act.

-It is a cultural, not just musical, icon.

-It's effect is felt throughtout Britain and World in several ways.

-It appeals to toddlers through to centenarians, acts do not.

-people travel across continents to go to Glastonbury in their thousands annually, not many would for an act.

-there are people like myself who do not like acts like Springsteen both with and without tickets and we will say they are crap, but you'd struggle to find anybody that says Glastonbury is crap.

Springsteen may be a legend but he is a legend amongst 1000 legends, Glastonbury(Woodstock is the only other I can think of)has a life of its on. Glastonbury doesn't need Springsteen, it is great by it's own accord and because of that he is not bigger than it.

500 years from now when historians look back what do you think people will think had more influence and impact on the world, Springsteen or Glastonbury? I'd argue very strongly for the latter.

Wow, two Beatles (generally regarded as the biggest/most important/popular band of all time) getting together for an ultra-rare performance peaked the interest of the media? Who could have foreseen this? Definitive proof if ever there was that Macca is a bigger draw than Springsteen. Such insightful logic mocks those fools who would point to the fact that Springsteen has toured four times this decade, selling out stadiums and had four no. 1 albums. Not that it matters in the least of course; but its Friday and, well, you're speaking crap.

That Arthur Lee gig that I caught on the other stage was grand.

I'm ignoring Bruce's "status". I don't particularly like U2 either. But do you think we should be honoured by his presence? Glasto should be grateful he's playing? Get to f**k. That the organisers should pander to his set-requirements? Maybe he'll get his own toilet too .... ;)