BLINK 182

Guest thomasowen

Your comparing Blinks popularity to Bloc Party etc... are you joking ?

They are huge...i mean massive. They have announced a north american tour, just watch it sell out in seconds. Rage had a good album..yes A good album but that is it, Blink have had a few bloody brilliant pop punk records and I guarentee there next album will be in the same mould and just as good.

Blink 182 will headline next year, no doubt but they will not play this year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comparing Blinks popularity to Bloc Party etc... are you joking ?

They are huge...i mean massive. They have announced a north american tour, just watch it sell out in seconds. Rage had a good album..yes A good album but that is it, Blink have had a few bloody brilliant pop punk records and I guarentee there next album will be in the same mould and just as good.

Blink 182 will headline next year, no doubt but they will not play this year.

1. Actually I didnt compare blink 182 popularity to bloc party, I siad blink 182 populrity in the uk is closer to that of this years second headliners than the main. headliners. I dont see how this can be denied as im pretty sure the 3 headliners this year have sold twice as many albums as blink 182 in the uk.

2. How is it relevant how quick they can sell out a tour in the usa or how many albums they sell in the USA. I dont think I have ever met an american in readling or leeds festival. i will freely admit that blink 182 are more popualr in the usa than the uk but we are discussing a uk festival here.

3. Is the bloc party/blink 182 comaprison that far off in the uk. looking at the stats

blink 182 - 1 top 10 album, 5 top 20 singles (2 went top 10)

bloc party - 3 top 10 albums. 8 top 20 singles (4 went top 10)

Agreed this doesnt tell the whole story but doesnt really suggest that blink 182 are vastly more popular than bloc party and certainly are a lot closer to bloc party than the killers, metallica, arctics, kol etc

4. I agree with the point that blinks place on the line up will depend on how the next album does, that was my main point at present I find it hard to justify them as healdiners but if they build up some momentum with the next album I wouldnt rule it out.

5. Im not sure i would agree blink 182 are more popualr than the pumpkins. SP have sold more records both in the uk and worldwide than blink 182 but possibly a lot of the people who bought sp albums no longer go to the festival. As for how anticiapted a blink reunion is it probably depends what circles you are in, i havent heard anyone in my cirlces mention the reunion, who knows which circles are most representative of the festival goer as a whole!

Blink are bigger sellers than rage anyhow. I didn't realize till looking at that they have not had that many hit albums or singles, I had always asumed they did. Still I think their comback album will go to number 1 or 2 for sure, whilst Bloc Party's latest peaked at number ten if memory serves. They are certainly more popular than pumpkins though, mainstream wise at least.

Wouldn't go that far, but it is certainly a great recording; if only for Morello's seminal use of the whammy pedal on that album (without RATM S/T half of Muse's back catalogue wouldn't exist, especially that Invincible Solo).

However, from a technical point of view I'd argue that Evil Empire was by a Texan mile one of the worst atrocities to reverberate 90s ears. Five years in the making and the first song is a bloke literally dragging a wrench back and forth between two frets for three minutes!? I'm not sure if he was trying to invoke the banality of the fingernails down the blackboard cliche, but that would sure as hell of sounded better. Then you have the fact that the next six or so tracks could easily pass for the first few practical exercises found in a Fisherprice 'Beginner's Guide to Guitar' manual. It's only towards the end that Morello actually bothered to even try on that album. Now I know your thinking 'lack of technical ability means nothing in music if it still sounds cool' and ordinarily I'd agree; some of the greatest bands ever contain average to poor guitarists. However considering the buckets of talent Morello has, and the 5 years they took to write E.E, it is by far one of the laziest piece of shite albums I've ever heard! Even the feedback got bored on that album and took its own sustain.

Anyway Blink 182...used to love the pre-Travis stuff with Scott. However that whiny bollocks they ended on with that video where a melancholic Delonge caresses a harp whilst a tear does a Roy from Blade Runner and gets lost in the rain? No more of that please! They'd be good for a gander next year.

Edited by thomasowen

In my opinion Evil empire has 3 great songs that are amongst the best Rage ever did, and the rest of the album I just dont listen to. For me their debut is the best of the 90s because of the way it fuses Metal, punk, hardcore, hip hop and funk and to me thats what the 90s were about - fusion. I also admire it for its poitical boldness, it's production and lyrics. Its certainly up there with Nevermind, OK Computor and Ten in my books.

I was going to correct you a bit here, but I realised halfway through typing that it was going to make me look like a really arrogant c**t.

In short, I'm not denying that Blink are a nice fun band, but this whole 'they are talented musicians, and Travis is a great drummer' thing is an opinion that has simply been spread by people who don't know anywhere near as much about music as they like to think they do.

Edited by dakyras

Travis Barker is one of the most talented and original drummers that has been found upon in decades. His talent is wasted in the vast majority of bands he's played in.

Dismissing a point by claiming that people "don't know anywhere near as much about music as they like to think they do" is a f**king cop out.

This thread is Readings answer to the little kiddies that argued ‘Faith No More’ shouldn’t headline Download’.

I can’t believe you guys are arguing that Blink 182! are more worthy headliners than the Pixies!!!!, Rage Against the Machine!, Pearl Jam!, and the Smashing Pumpkins [first appearance].

You guys are seriously f**ked.

This thread is Readings answer to the little kiddies that argued ‘Faith No More’ shouldn’t headline Download’.

I can’t believe you guys are arguing that Blink 182! are more worthy headliners than the Pixies!!!!, Rage Against the Machine!, Pearl Jam!, and the Smashing Pumpkins [first appearance].

You guys are seriously f**ked.

Ok, you didn’t say ‘more worthy’, but you idiots do claim that they are ‘more popular’ and would ‘draw a bigger crowd’.

Blink 182 > Pixies!!!!, Rage Against the Machine!, Pearl Jam!, and the Smashing Pumpkins

This thread is becoming legendary.

:):P:blink:;):lol:;);):D:D:D

Ok, you didn’t say ‘more worthy’, but you idiots do claim that they are ‘more popular’ and would ‘draw a bigger crowd’.

Blink 182 > Pixies!!!!, Rage Against the Machine!, Pearl Jam!, and the Smashing Pumpkins

This thread is becoming legendary.

:P:blink:;):lol:;);):D:D:D:)

Honestly, insult that Pixies booking, or their performance, and you’re just making this argument look even more bizarre.

Saying that Blink 182 are better than the Pixies, should be grounds for some kind of capital punishment.

Edited by Vacant0

Blink would easily pull a bigger crowd than the Pixies IMO even though Blink blew last time they played Reading. When Pixies played whilst I was on the barrier my sister (2 years younger) and her friends were all off watching Kasabain or Kaiser Chiefs or some shit, I think that says a lot.

I don't see how you could compare Blink and Pixies anyway, they dont do the same thing and Blinks tunes are far more accessable to the casual listener.

i'm not a huge blink 182 fan so don't know why they split up but didn't they get back together because travis was in a plane crash and they just thought that life was too short?

they could headline. if the darkness and linkin park can headline, so can blink 182.

id say they are much better known by your average uk festival goer (not you efestival geeks!!! :) ) than the likes of smashing pumpkins, nine inch nails, faith no more etc and would draw a good crowd.

it is not all about record sales either. i wouldn't know and can't be bothered looking but have the likes of metallica had lots of uk number 1 albums and top 10 singles?

not that i recall.....the charts are full of s**t like the saturdays!

robx

i don't really want to wade in on the argument, but i mentioned this on facebook and of the 23 of my festie mates who replied, the best response i got to Blink 182 next year was "weren't they crap last time they played?"

nuff said. they really aren't a draw. but if you guys keep talking about them then we'll probably get them and you'll spend months moaning about it.

I'm blatently going to get a wall of abuse hurled at me now, but i'd happily welcome Blink 182 headlining next year. Be a great sing song, pull a giant crowd and entertain. I'm not saying they are as great or established as the Pixies, Pearl Jam etc but would love to see them again!