Are Festivals Taking The Piss?

Guest jr1312

Having just seen Neil Young announced as headline for Hard Rock I thought I'd ask this question and I know I'm probably going to get a load of backlash for asking this but are the festival organisers and artists taking the piss out of us? It seems that every act/headliner can't just do one festival/event. Neil Young (IOW, Glasto, Hard Rock), Blur (T in the Park, Oxegen, Glasto), Springsteen (Glasto, Hard Rock), etc, etc.

I know it's difficult to book an act because they need to be touring, plugging an album, needs to be worth their while etc but why do all the festivals need to duplicate each other? Out of the hundreds of acts out there you would think that one festival would be able to come up with someone "exclusive" - or is it just the artists trying to get as much money as possible and not agreeing to exclusivity?

Genuine question - is it the festivals taking the piss or the artists?

I think organisers assume that people only go to one or maybe two festivals a year? I certainly treat Glastonbury as my annual holiday, and although I would love to go to IOW or Bestival as well I simply can't afford two in one year. I don't know many people these days who go to LOTS of festivals at £150 a go...

I think organisers assume that people only go to one or maybe two festivals a year? I certainly treat Glastonbury as my annual holiday, and although I would love to go to IOW or Bestival as well I simply can't afford two in one year. I don't know many people these days who go to LOTS of festivals at £150 a go...

Having just seen Neil Young announced as headline for Hard Rock I thought I'd ask this question and I know I'm probably going to get a load of backlash for asking this but are the festival organisers and artists taking the piss out of us? It seems that every act/headliner can't just do one festival/event. Neil Young (IOW, Glasto, Hard Rock), Blur (T in the Park, Oxegen, Glasto), Springsteen (Glasto, Hard Rock), etc, etc.

I know it's difficult to book an act because they need to be touring, plugging an album, needs to be worth their while etc but why do all the festivals need to duplicate each other? Out of the hundreds of acts out there you would think that one festival would be able to come up with someone "exclusive" - or is it just the artists trying to get as much money as possible and not agreeing to exclusivity?

Genuine question - is it the festivals taking the piss or the artists?