Train tickets in Advance

Guest Sam Crawley

As per usual and yet again this year, First Great Western will NOT be making any cheap advance tickets available between London & Castle Cary during Glastonbury. Certainly whilst FGW still has the franchise. Very cheeky indeed.

Glastonbury or not, nobody here wants to be paying such outrageous prices such as £150 return. Absolute bloody rip off!! So beat the system LEGALLY, by splitting tickets. See this thread from last year for more info and money savings tips

/index.php?showtopic=97401&hl=train&st=20">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...train&st=20

Edited by Vectrex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem.

Yep the cheap advance tickets for South West Trains from Waterloo-Westbury(put in via Salisbury in the advanced options) will be available within the next few days to a week. As I see the Wednesday 17th June is available to book now. £9 single.

For those going via the South West Trains route from London. You'll have to buy your tickets using this method:

London Waterloo-Westbury(via Salisbury) single

Westbury-Castle Cary return

Westbury-London Waterloo(via Salisbury) single

Though if you're going down on the Tuesday, you should have no problems getting the normal cheap advance tickets from Paddington on that day anyway. It's the Wednesday to the Monday that FGW block all the cheap tickets. Crafty buggers.

Edited by Vectrex

No problem.

Yep the cheap advance tickets for South West Trains from Waterloo-Westbury(put in via Salisbury in the advanced options) will be available within the next few days to a week. As I see the Wednesday 17th June is available to book now. £9 single.

For those going via the South West Trains route from London. You'll have to buy your tickets using this method:

London Waterloo-Westbury(via Salisbury) single

Westbury-Castle Cary return

Westbury-London Waterloo(via Salisbury) single

Standard tickets are now available to/from Castle Cary from most of the online retailers (despite FGW website saying they're only open until the 17th June).

As predicted, no cheap fares, £56 off-peak return cheapest Paddington-Castle Cary

Same story as last year. Absolutely no surprise atall!

Tuesday 23rd June. London Paddington-Castle Cary. A bargain £10.50 single on the 0818 service.

Wednesday 24th June. London Paddington-Castle Cary. A rip off £55 single on the 0818 service!

All other services between Paddington and Castle Cary also have no bargain advance fares available during Glastonbury!

Bloody crafty beggars ain't they. Every single year they do this.

As mentioned though, do the split ticket technique London-Pewsey/Pewsey-Castle Cary. And you can still travel on that 0818 service(to arrive at the Glasto gates nice and early) for about £17 single.

Edited by Vectrex

Also. The South West Trains route from Waterloo. For Wednesday 24th June, the 0920 service direct to Westbury is currently available to book for a bargain £9 single. Arriving Westbury 1118. From Westbury get a single or return to Castle Cary. Don't forget there will be a number of extra trains between Westbury and Castle Cary running on this day.

I'm trying to work out the best way to get there from Sheffield. Think we're going down on the Tuesday and camping locally - seems like the best option for us would be to megabus/train it to London, then get a train from there.

However, I'm REALLY hoping that I can get a lift there to save all that hassle.

I need to get back on the sunday night this year (first time ever! :) )

I need to get to Didcot Parkway which means Castle Cary - Reading and then change for the last bit to Didcot.

Currently the 21:12 on the Sunday night (which is a Paddington bound train) is £40 for a single ticket :) Surely there will be some cheap options coming up soon?

There are no cheap advance tickets currently available for Sunday 28th June at the moment anywhere on the network. Try again in a few days. I'm not sure if First Great Western block all cheap advance tickets from Castle Cary-London on this day. I don't think they will actually. But if you're still getting a ridiculous fare such as £40 single, then there will be methods of getting it cheaper using the split tickets way.

cheers!

So if it doesn't go down just get CC-swindon, swindon-reading then reading-didcot or something similar?

Never had to get the train before just usually get driven home by mates! - going to be annoying leaving 25 others there for another night of partying whilst i head home! :)

Hi, me and my friend are traveling from Canterbury West and looking the cheapest way to travel to Castle Cary and back.

We do both have young persons rail cards, but we would be prepared to scarifice that so long as we get a decent camping spot on pennards.

Any advice on how to get the cheapest fare?

Also. The South West Trains route from Waterloo. For Wednesday 24th June, the 0920 service direct to Westbury is currently available to book for a bargain £9 single. Arriving Westbury 1118. From Westbury get a single or return to Castle Cary. Don't forget there will be a number of extra trains between Westbury and Castle Cary running on this day.
Edited by Al the CAT

Additional mainline 'festival special' services won't get confirmed for another 6-8 weeks, and won't be advertised with tickets available, they'll be filled as required at Paddington and Taunton when there's no spare capacity on the booked services (make sure you get a seat reservation when you book your ticket and then make sure you get that train - otherwise it's a wait in the queue for the next special).

Additional 'festival special' services won't stop additionally at Westbury.

Al.

*Edit for a complete cock-up of a statement, apologies*

Edited by Vectrex

I need to get back on the sunday night this year (first time ever! :) )

I need to get to Didcot Parkway which means Castle Cary - Reading and then change for the last bit to Didcot.

Currently the 21:12 on the Sunday night (which is a Paddington bound train) is £40 for a single ticket :P Surely there will be some cheap options coming up soon?

Well what do you know. They have actually made cheaper advance tickets available this year. However the £10.50 and £15 tickets seem to have gone allready. And the cheapest now is on the earliest train - the 0818 from Paddington, at £23.50 single. A journey on that particular service last year would have been about £70 single! So £23.50 is a definite improvement.

The bad news however is that for Monday 29th for the journey home, no cheap advance tickets are available from Castle Cary to London. And elsewhere on other FGW services, cheap advance tickets for that day are now available to book.

Well what do you know. They have actually made cheaper advance tickets available this year. However the £10.50 and £15 tickets seem to have gone allready. And the cheapest now is on the earliest train - the 0818 from Paddington, at £23.50 single. A journey on that particular service last year would have been about £70 single! So £23.50 is a definite improvement.

The bad news however is that for Monday 29th for the journey home, no cheap advance tickets are available from Castle Cary to London. And elsewhere on other FGW services, cheap advance tickets for that day are now available to book.