Just read glasto is catering for the oldies to play it safe this year

Guest reas11

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that a lot of people are forgetting that the main reason that Glastonbury hasn't sold out in an hour like Reading, Leeds and V festivals do is because there are much more stringent controls on ticket sales. I mean I could buy four tickets for Reading and sell three on at double the cost which is sadly what a great deal of people do.

I wouldn't say having Neil Young and Bruce Springstein as headliners (assuming they are) is playing it safe I mean neither are exactly plastered all over the NME or any of the glossies nowadays are they. Radiohead, Oasis and Muse now that would be playing safe.

Glastonbury is the most diverse of the big festivals in the UK and while undoubtably more corporate than years gone by certainly doesn't leave you thinking that the organisers are totally in it for the money. I agree with the comment that the bubble has burst in some respects but also Glastonbury has lost out to some of the more forward thinking festivals in the UK - Bestival, Secret Garden et al. And Glastonbury has also lost out to the cheap flights and sunnier climes of Summercase. Benicassim, Exit and the rest.

I'm hoping for headliners that I don't like! I want to see so much more than just the Pyramid stage. I want to be there when Page/Plant suddenly turn up and do a one off gig under assumed names ( :lol: here's hoping!), or I want to stumble onto something i wouldn't necessarily have found had i been parked at the Pyramid for 4 hours to get a good spot for the final show! :lol:

I hope Brucie baby plays to please my boyf as he would love to see him at Glasto even though I'm not a fan but apart from that i couldn't give a monkeys!!

Doesn't this "controversy" raise its head every time? :lol:

I'm 99% sure the reason Jay-Z booked was not to attract young people. Michael Eavis may have thought thats what it would do but that's probably because he is a bit out of touch with young people's music tastes (maybe he thought he was like Kanye West?). It was Emily's idea to get Jay-Z and I'm pretty sure it was to be different and diverse, she would surely know that Jay-Z isn't especially popular with young people in this country, especially festival-goers.

Glastonbury does need to attract a younger audience I agree but can only book younger 'current' bands if they are big enough to step up. Recently Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers have all played so its not exactly like Glastonbury is always choosing older acts. The only bands this year that might possibly have made the step up are Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand and they are going to play lower slots at Glastonbury anyway. Glastonbury would be criticised if it booked headliners which weren't ready. The obvious choice of headliners this year would be Radiohead, Coldplay etc which have played before and would be a bit predictable. By booking these acts it makes Glastonbury stand out from the other festivals. And besides controversy was good for Glastonbury last year so might be good again.

sorry - posted this in the wrong thread :-

I can't see any reference in this thread that this story is reported big time (almost a full page) in the Guardian newspaper today - yes, the same Guardian that have been sponsors of the festival for many years.

They are not claiming absolutely without dispute that it will be Bruce / Neil / Blur but it is VERY PROMINENT.

The article is there on page 7 but I can't find a 23 Dec link to the story on the Guardian web site.

sorry - posted this in the wrong thread :-

I can't see any reference in this thread that this story is reported big time (almost a full page) in the Guardian newspaper today - yes, the same Guardian that have been sponsors of the festival for many years.

They are not claiming absolutely without dispute that it will be Bruce / Neil / Blur but it is VERY PROMINENT.

The article is there on page 7 but I can't find a 23 Dec link to the story on the Guardian web site.

I don't understand what the whole obsession with "aiming it at the kids" is.

Firstly, I like to consider myself young (22, so just about!). I am absolutely stoked for seeing Springsteen, excited about Blur (who were one of the biggest around when I first started getting into music), and interested to see NY.

Secondly, I am certain that the Other Stage will have Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight and the like if people really want to pass up the opportunity to see the Pyramid performers.

Thirdly, the whole reason that Glastonbury is a cut above other festivals is that it is different. V, Reading (to a lesser degree) and a whole host of other newly sprung up festivals cater for the young, indie loving niche. I tend to ignore these, as bands that I see there I would usually go and see their own live show anyway. The whole point of the music at Glastonbury is to see stuff you wouldn't usually see, to experience new stuff, and to see the stuff you would normally pay to see in a completely different environment.

Rant over.

I'm 99% sure the reason Jay-Z booked was not to attract young people. Michael Eavis may have thought thats what it would do but that's probably because he is a bit out of touch with young people's music tastes (maybe he thought he was like Kanye West?). It was Emily's idea to get Jay-Z and I'm pretty sure it was to be different and diverse, she would surely know that Jay-Z isn't especially popular with young people in this country, especially festival-goers.

Glastonbury does need to attract a younger audience I agree but can only book younger 'current' bands if they are big enough to step up. Recently Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers have all played so its not exactly like Glastonbury is always choosing older acts. The only bands this year that might possibly have made the step up are Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand and they are going to play lower slots at Glastonbury anyway. Glastonbury would be criticised if it booked headliners which weren't ready. The obvious choice of headliners this year would be Radiohead, Coldplay etc which have played before and would be a bit predictable. By booking these acts it makes Glastonbury stand out from the other festivals. And besides controversy was good for Glastonbury last year so might be good again.

Hmm I don't think that is snobbery, anyone who reads The Sun as their daily paper should be looked down upon. The Sun is a national f**king embarrasment, everything that is wrong with this country can be more or less summed up in that one paper......well split between the Sun and the Mail.