Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Queenstown International Film Festival starts tonight. I say Queenstown International Film Festival, its actually just the local three screen cinema giving over their smallest screen for a couple of weeks to show some different films. But good on em cos hardly anyone goes to watch them, but I get chance to watch some films I wouldn't normally see. What I'm after is people's advice on any of them you might have seen.

Films I def wanna see

Man on Wire - Doco on the French Guy who tightrope walked between the Twin Towers in the 70s

The Wave - Film about an experimant about Facism

Empties - Excellent Czech film highly recomended by my Czech flatmate

The Orphange - Spanish Horror. I know a few on here have seen and recomended it

Gonzo:The life and works of Hunter S. Thompson - What it says

Bigger,Stornger,Faster - Doco about Steroid use "Super Size Me on steroids"

Young@Heart - doco about an american choir, average age 80, who do covers of Sonic Youth and James Brown

Elite Squad - biggest Brazilian film since City of God about the dodgy as f**k Rio police

Films I'm a bit interested in

The Counterfeiters - Best Foreign Film Oscar, set in a concentration camp

Welcome to the Sticks - French film about Yokels

The Escapist - Irish prison break film

The Visitor - Same guy who made the Station Agent

A Complete history of my sexual failures - dunno, but might be funny?

The Band's Visit - Egyptian police band end up in arse end of nowhere Israeli town

Films I know nothing about, but might try some of em anyway

ANd when did you las see your father?

Apron Strings

Persepolis

Pete Seegar:The power of song

Up the Yangtze

Anybody seen any? Recomendations?

Edited by philipsteak

went to see tropic thunder and igor last week and i can quite safely say igor was 10 times funnier than tropic thunder...wot alot of pish if you ask me

One of the best comic books of recent years, a comic called Kick-Ass, I see is now getting the Hollywood treatment.

*sigh* A part of me is excited but another part of me dreads it mainly due to it starring Nicholas f*cking Cage. God dammit.

If you haven't checked out Kick-Ass I suggest you do. It's about a comic book fan who dons a costume (mask and diving suit bought from a shop) and goes out "saving the day". Except he usually ends up getting stabbed or run over and put in hospital for weeks, and the school spreads a rumour that his bruises and injuries are because he's a gay prostitute. He ends up on youtube and becomes known as "kickass". It's really good, very funny but dark, like Robocop or something.

No powers either, it's very much set in the real world, the characters have conversations like real people too.

I bet they make the film PG-13. It needs an 18 cert.

Edited by Purple Monkey

just watched "london to brighton" and "miami vice"..

...london to brighton was alright & worth a watch. 7/10

...although it had it's detractors I quite enjoyed miami vice. I've never actually watched an episode of the tv series so the fact it doesn't follow much resemblance to the that didn't really bother me. It wasn't perfect, crockett and tubbs don't really get much screentime together, so there's not a complete sense of screen chemistry between farrell and foxx, but I liked it's darkness, style, soundtrack, realism, the fact there wasn't any dodgy twists just for the sake of them, pacing. It's no heat but a good film all the same in my opinion, although I could understand it might not be to everyone's tastes. 7.5/10.

One of the best comic books of recent years, a comic called Kick-Ass, I see is now getting the Hollywood treatment.

*sigh* A part of me is excited but another part of me dreads it mainly due to it starring Nicholas f*cking Cage. God dammit.

If you haven't checked out Kick-Ass I suggest you do. It's about a comic book fan who dons a costume (mask and diving suit bought from a shop) and goes out "saving the day". Except he usually ends up getting stabbed or run over and put in hospital for weeks, and the school spreads a rumour that his bruises and injuries are because he's a gay prostitute. He ends up on youtube and becomes known as "kickass". It's really good, very funny but dark, like Robocop or something.

No powers either, it's very much set in the real world, the characters have conversations like real people too.

I bet they make the film PG-13. It needs an 18 cert.

On Mark Kermode's recommendation I started watching "Young At Heart" last night. didnt finish it, cos me and the missus were seriously nodding by 10:30 - but I have to say - what an awesome film.

for those not in the know, its about a musical troupe who's average age is about 86 by the look of them, and their energy, commitment and general joie de vivre is absolutely inspiring. they sing modern music including the clash/sonic youth/hendrix/the stones and a version of "Fix You" that pisses all over the original. Its quite funny in places, but never once in a disrespectful way. there is joy, tragedy, humour and genuinely interesting background peppered all the way through it.

I really can't recommend it enough.

On Mark Kermode's recommendation I started watching "Young At Heart" last night. didnt finish it, cos me and the missus were seriously nodding by 10:30 - but I have to say - what an awesome film.

for those not in the know, its about a musical troupe who's average age is about 86 by the look of them, and their energy, commitment and general joie de vivre is absolutely inspiring. they sing modern music including the clash/sonic youth/hendrix/the stones and a version of "Fix You" that pisses all over the original. Its quite funny in places, but never once in a disrespectful way. there is joy, tragedy, humour and genuinely interesting background peppered all the way through it.

Another good documentry is "Man on Wire" about Philippe Petit, the guy who tightrope walked between the WTC towers in 1974. Its a great story, presented almost like a thriller, and Petit himself is a fascinating character. I dont think I've ever seen someone so "French". Cant think of a better way of putting it.