the large hadron collidor particle accelerator

Guest rhysieg

(i expected there to already be a thread on this, i couldent see one, but if there is already one could somebody link me)

so the particle accelerator is nearly ready to go (will be turned on in 8 days)

but now there are a group of people going to court claiming this device could destoy our planet.

they claim that the accelerator (dubbed by some "the doomsday device") could create and sustain black holes and could ultimatly eat the whole planet.

however the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) claim that the black holes will be gone as soon as they are created, and that their os no possible threat.

(find out more about the accelerator here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

so this isnt the first time ive heard the end of the world could be near and i really cant see the end of the world happening just yet.

but what do other efesters think about this?

could this mean the end of the world?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i dont really mind if its the end of the world. Its not like we'll be on efestivals afterwards to moan about it. We had a good run; something like this was always going to kill us in the end. Would be nice to know if there is anything afterwards though, or at least who was right (im thinking morman! *crosses fingers*)

Well i dont really mind if its the end of the world. Its not like we'll be on efestivals afterwards to moan about it. We had a good run; something like this was always going to kill us in the end. Would be nice to know if there is anything afterwards though, or at least who was right (im thinking morman! *crosses fingers*)

Doubt it.

An independent report has said its fine. It was on the news a months ago (possibly years in fact) saying how therew was a 1 in 500000 chance it could end the world. Although i think the scientific consensus is that if a blackhole is created, it would also disappear straight away.

The thing is already active, i think it goes full pelt on 10th September.

Has to be said though. Collosal waste of money.

Anyone fancy flicking throught the instructions manuals for this thing.. Just to make sure it's safe?

Links here

Not had chance to view them myself as they're too big to download but looks like it contains some sort of manual and details of the detectors.

I really can't get my head round how they manage to fire a couple of particles/electrons/baked beans at high speed round this thing and then manage to make them collide, somebody must be a very good aim.

Damn, I thought it had already been and gone and therefore the fact I am still here is a good sign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/asktheexpert.shtml

Answered all my questions and helped me worry a lot less.

My main issue is with placing the fate of mankind in the hands of someone who can't even take a shit by himself.But there you go.

Makes me wish I got science though.Try as I might,I'm utter tripe at it. Seems like whatever we discover as a result of the experiment will be the biggest moment in modern physics,which is quite exciting.What that could lead to,they don't even know.

Edited by King Blue

Didn't people think that splitting the atom would destroy the world?

The dude in the posted interview is right,a lot of the scaremongering stems from a distrust of science.It gets headlines,'END OF THE WORLD?',but I trust scientists ,who know a fair bit more about this than any of us,to know what their doing.

But,just to spread some fear,Nostruadamus (Spl?) gave this prediction:

"Leave, leave Geneva every last one of you,

Saturn will be converted from gold to iron,

RAYPOZ will exterminate all who oppose him,

Before the coming the sky will show signs. "

:lol:

They said that about the wheel, the ship, the telescope, the plane, the computer, virtual reality and the Sony Playstation. As yet, there has been little impact. I'm thinking of getting an early bid in for one of these babies on Japanese import. Reckon I'll get all the best lasses and be the envy of the street.

i would like to know for defo if it is gonna cause the end of the world cos there are some things i would still like to do before then.... however these things would cost money so i can't really risk spending all my wages and then havin to scrounge for the rest of the month if it doesnt happen!!!

Dilema indeed! :lol:

A couple of mates are doing PhDs in Astro Physics and say they only have the energy to generate a black hole so small it's not visable to the human eye and even then it lasts the tiniest part of a second.

I keep having apolocypse dreams at the moment though.