am i the only one who hopes

Guest greeneyes1980

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're patriotic about our system of governance... wow. What, because this is the ideal, nay the only right way. I expect you think we should impose it everywhere as well?

Yes it is a bleak outlook. We simply disagree - I believe (as Take That unfortunately sang) you should never forget where you're coming from. Your roots matter - you cannot divorce yourself or your family from their roots. If you know who you are, you know that the places you and they came from and the experiences which you and they have had will inevitably but happily shape and characterise the person that you are.

It's not "a last resort" as you patronisingly imply. I think as an Englishman you are probably right not to be patriotic - we all know what godawful people English patriots tend to be. Perhaps this is why you cannot understand that it is different for our respective Celtic nations. It is not about chest thumping and racist chants, lager and football hooliganism. Incidentally I don't deny you have a perfect right not to care about football. Though this isn't about sport either anymore, I think we've moved away from that.

Yes, and within Italy there are notable differences. You can extend this as far reaching as you like until you come to what we call global culture, or retract this until you come to one individual. The national boundary and national identity is completely fabricated in terms of culture and cultural identity.

What you mainly see about Italian culture is a stereotype or a foil. This is how nationalism and national identity works.

I know my roots matter. But having spent time in other countries that have helped shape me,should I be proud of those nations as well?I'd rather pick and choose aspects of life from cultures to form my own philosophies. My roots have allowed me to move past single minded patriotism,which I guess is something to be proud of in its own right. Maybe the one thing I'm proud about in being English is its ability to allow me not to be proud.If that makes sense.

I think not! And mind your damn tongue, you know that the fascism in the UK is almost entirely an English phenomenon, maybe you should ask why that is?

There is no reason to call that delusional. The fact of the matter is, we will never know, and all we can attack is what we see to be wrong.

I am a mackem geordie hybrid in terms of heritage; for instance, identifying with the underdog and despising sanctimony, pretentiousness and all things southern and soft. I am germanic in my individualistic philosophies, always beginning with the self and subjectivity. I am Indo-centric in my spiritual philosophies, favouring nirvana over heaven in my pursuit of goals. I am diasporic in my sense of home, region and culture. I could go on about the I identify with the ideals and principles of contemporary Holland and how archaic Amerindia has influenced me, but I'd be on for days.

Andy Murray pisses me off. Not as much as Henman did though!

I quite like my tennis, but I rarely want the British bloke to win, because they always annoy me in one way.

With Murray it's the fact he seems to have no personality.

Dude... you're quite interesting, but really, and I apologise in advance for being offensive, but what WILL you do when your pretensions become flesh and swallow you whole?! ??? :(:D

Indeed. But I would contest we DO know. I woudl say it's pretty blimmin' obvious.

After all the Welsh, Scots and Irish who all emigrated to The US all made a land full of pixies, fluffy bunnies and love and didn't destroy anyone's culture at all didn't they. :D I know the English were there too, but of course we are expected to behave like this because we were born south of an artifical border. :P

Just SO annoying those dammned Indians and Black people kept throwing themselves in the way of their bullets! Rather selfish of them, as this caused much emotional upset.

:(

Are you going to talk about human nature in your explanation of the "obvious" ??? :(

I don't believe I know who was responsible for the cultural destruction in what became the US, but I gather the English (oh sorry, the "British") were among the first who cleared and colonised the country, so what the hell are you on about?!

Yes, very good, but utter Bollox... incidentally if you want to look at a proper example of Welsh settlement overseas, you should be talking about Patagonia, where Welsh settlers went and lived happily alongside native Argentines and Spanish. Or maybe Hughesovska (sp?) in Russia, where Welsh miners went to set up a mining colony WITH the Russians contributing knowledge and expertise.

F**k this, I'm getting lunch. If you want to come back with some facts, evidence, or reasonable argument feel free, I'll be waiting...!