Gay at Glastonbury?

Guest Tabitharocks

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mates went last year and had a fab time, however they were not impressed by the loos and the mud, this has probebly put them off this year.

No issues other that.

Why should there be???????

Me thinks not/Hopes not

Struds

Ok despite the fact that for god knows how many years ive been on this site with the name discodolly, many of my forum friends have always assumed that because of being called this i was probably a woman and a lover of disco....WRONG!

I am in fact a 40 something gay fella, with a shaved head and shed loada tattoos and piercings...in fact yer almost stereotypical gay bloke..altho i have never had a moustache!!

Ive been going to glasto for years and bloody years, altho not this one, and to be perfecty honest i dont see the point of "gay" bars or anything specifically aimed at the gay festival goer..whats the point of it? i have met some amazing folk and made many friends but my sexuality really is of no importance, and if it has ever been mentioned (usually because ive been sitting with my partner and something was said that made others aware that we were more than mates) it was only in passing and not mentioned again.....glastonbury goers couldnt give a flying f**k what yer sexuality is, its just not important enough to bother with......be nice to everyone and everyone will be nice back, thats all there is to it. if its your first time you will have the most amazing expierience and who you are becomes part of the whole melting pot that is Glastonbury festival.

<_<-_-

Edited by DiscoDolly

Without putting words into the original posters mouth (or words from his/her fingers?) I think the gist is - is there a gay bar - i.e. somewhere where gay people can go to meet other gay people potentially to hook up with someone - or if you have already met someone, someone to take things further without the fear of mockery and/ or abuse - yes, even at the utopia of liberalism which is glastonbury

Its not simply about fear of discrimination when walking around the site, but just nice to be able to go into a bar and know you have a chance of pulling!

Without putting words into the original posters mouth (or words from his/her fingers?) I think the gist is - is there a gay bar - i.e. somewhere where gay people can go to meet other gay people potentially to hook up with someone - or if you have already met someone, someone to take things further without the fear of mockery and/ or abuse - yes, even at the utopia of liberalism which is glastonbury

Its not simply about fear of discrimination when walking around the site, but just nice to be able to go into a bar and know you have a chance of pulling!

Well said Disco dolly, last year (my first time at Glasto) work sent a couple of us along armed with condoms, lube, info etc to see what the vibe was. I work for an LGBT organisation and having not done Glasto before thought it would be fun to meet a few people and see how the whole "gay health promotion" thing went down with festival folk. As I suspected with Glasto being so inclusive we had heaps of interest and managed to shift 1000's of condoms and the response to us being there was really good (I think the fact that the protection tents only offered regular condoms and we were giving out flavoured, ribbed, female etc made us a popular choice!) and I think if we went again it would be in more of a generic sexual health capacity really as segregation as others have said really isn't needed at the festival.

This year I'm going as a punter with some mates and looking forward to hitting Trash city again and avoiding anything remotely work like. That said If anyone wants to meet up to discuss George Michael's latest haircut or wants me to bring along some flavoured condoms let me know!!

(you know chocolate and mint condoms bear a striking resemblance to after eights when used one after the other!)

Edited by keither

As long as your not a 35+ year old Oasis loving chav who likes a pint or two you'll be catered for. We are all coming in disguise as pirate hippies this year

I think most people go to glasto for a gay old time.. and end up leaving feeling a little queer* :unsure:

hehe.. the group of freinds i go with are a mixture of gay.. straight and australian, ok i went too far with the australian lol.. we have a fab time and there is something at glasto for everyone.

:(

* edit - disclaimer- no gay midgets were harmed in the exiting of glasto

Edited by -MaDMAn-

• 9 months later...

Found the following in an edition of Metro - have no idea if this tent will be there this year though.

"No-one admitted without a moustache" :lol:

Gays pitch their tent at Glastonbury

By Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk • June 22, 2007 - 16:50

This is the first time a gay tent has been erected at the Glastonbury festival.

NYC Downlow makes its debut at the one of the UK's largest music festival today, bringing some gay sensibility to the muddy fields of Somerset.

The gay-subculture tent will be a haven in a sea of heteros over the weekend, and organisers say they want to recreate the look and feel of a 1970s Manhattan gay bar.

No-one will be admitted without a moustache, though fake ones can be purchased at the door.

There will be a re-enactment of the famous Stonewall riot, a tranny Olympics and, according to The Times,

"Steaming drains, flashing "don't walk" signs and trannies with 'taches; an homage to New York before it was Disneyfied, when it was still dangerous (and fun).

"Don't miss the "vogue off", with trannies trying to out-vogue one another. A "vogue ball" will feature winners in difererent categories including "butch queen at a festival.""

This is the first time a gay tent has been erected at the Glastonbury festival.