Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

As I've never had a flag/windsock at a festie before, can someone help me? We want to get this http://www.skyblueleisure.co.uk/acatalog/Gnome_Windsock.html (I hope that works as a link!)

What height pole would you recommend, and what would I need to secure it with? Would just the spikes be ok? As I've said, I've never had a flag before, so excuse the daft questions!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive gone with four metres, some have gone for five, above that it becomes a bit more high maintenance I reckon! The spikes are fine, just hammer it into the ground 30cm then put the pole over the spike. You can use guy ropes, from a third or halfway up, in different directions, just pegged down using a tent peg for extra strength. Hope that helps.

paint sticks fine. its just a pain to do it, cos you have to pin it to the wall and hold the bottom of the flag as to not paint on the wall.

i used brush strokes all purpose acrylic paint from b and q i think. sadly its no been tested on the elements but it has had some dew on it and twas fine.

im sure you can get a paint brush thats like a sponge tip or something. if they dont then someone should invent one.

and with regards to south park, i was gonna go for a randy marsh head but i tried to draw him it on paper and he looked retarded so i think ill give it a miss. unless i think of something else that im able to do.

i ordered a long banner like flag to keep me inflatable man company (refer to earlier post!) and one of those cover thingies with which you can attach multiple flags. however its all gone sadly wrong, it is too heavy and has all gone droopy :lol:

so am sacking the cover and have to decide what to keep on me pole....couldnt work out the flag bungies to save me life..

but did have brain wave for car, and bought 2 of them awful england car flags, am in the midst of painting them as i type, and have purr chased sparkly windmills to sit at the top of them. wonder how long they will stay on? :D

paint sticks fine. its just a pain to do it, cos you have to pin it to the wall and hold the bottom of the flag as to not paint on the wall.

i used brush strokes all purpose acrylic paint from b and q i think. sadly its no been tested on the elements but it has had some dew on it and twas fine.

im sure you can get a paint brush thats like a sponge tip or something. if they dont then someone should invent one.

and with regards to south park, i was gonna go for a randy marsh head but i tried to draw him it on paper and he looked retarded so i think ill give it a miss. unless i think of something else that im able to do.

yeah i tried that with paper, but then theres the hassle of when the paint hits the paper, it gets absorbed and thus absorbs into a blob onto the flag too. holding it so it touches nothing is the best way.

Post a pic of yours cosmia again

My project has briefly stalled at the printing phase. Have the four metre pole, have the design, can easily get hold of the material. However, don't have a printer at home. Have unlimited printers at work, but the computers dont have photoshop to enlarge the image and print it on multiple sheets.

My project has briefly stalled at the printing phase. Have the four metre pole, have the design, can easily get hold of the material. However, don't have a printer at home. Have unlimited printers at work, but the computers dont have photoshop to enlarge the image and print it on multiple sheets.

dunno what the red was called, but i think the green was flourescent. so get something alternative :D

need to get me some more for my new flag anyway. efest flag is stayin stuck to my tent now seen as yours will should be better