Any ideas for off site camping at T 2016?

Copperface

Hi.

Am toying with the idea of TITP at Strathallan this year 2016, but would like any suggestions of any nearby offsite (read unofficial?) campsites that anyone could suggest.

Have regularly attended Glastonbury but always stayed offsite, normally at Ashcombe Park which has been great. Nearby with facilities and away from the madness of the central sites.

Can't do Glastonbury this year so have been persuaded by two late teen daughters to try TITP.

However, have read all sorts of negative stories about the main site itself and so looking for something similar that I could use where I could park the car, pitch a tent, and leave valuables locked up in the car during the times away from the tent.

Am fairly flexible but some of the stories about the T main sites have actually got me a bit apprehensive.

So, can anyone suggest anything that is close by, within a relatively easy walk, with car parking which would be a relative oasis of sanity to get away from the apparent mad max type atmosphere of the main T sites.

Looking to book tickets tomorrow but am not convinced about attending if we have to camp in amongst the madness.

Cheers.

The stock answer to this would be Lethangie. They used to run a campsite and shuttle close to the Balado site and did a similar thing for Strathallan this year. However, people walking back (because there was gridlock) were blamed for causing the gridlock and the roads aren't wide enough to support traffic and pedestrians. I would be very surprised if Lethangie are allowed to do the same this year. As for anywhere else unofficial close enough to walk in forget it. I would maybe look at a campsite near Gleneagles and use the shuttle bus from the station there. No wait, what am I talking about? I wouldn't go at all until they move from Strathallan. Don't let that influence your decision though. :)

Yep, saw Lethangie, but that's miles away and I presumed that that was what was being alluded to with the stories of people walking back and blocking roads. That looks very similar to Ashcombe Park at Glastonbury  and was what I was looking for.

Look llike I might have to persuade them to try another festival, may be Latitude a week later as from what I have read, T seems to be not only organisationally dysfunctional but not the sort of frestival I am 1) looking for and 2) used to..

I go to have a good time and let loose but not to have to put up with idiots all weekend. Is it really that bad??

Hi.

Am toying with the idea of TITP at Strathallan this year 2016, but would like any suggestions of any nearby offsite (read unofficial?) campsites that anyone could suggest.

Have regularly attended Glastonbury but always stayed offsite, normally at Ashcombe Park which has been great. Nearby with facilities and away from the madness of the central sites.

Can't do Glastonbury this year so have been persuaded by two late teen daughters to try TITP.

However, have read all sorts of negative stories about the main site itself and so looking for something similar that I could use where I could park the car, pitch a tent, and leave valuables locked up in the car during the times away from the tent.

Am fairly flexible but some of the stories about the T main sites have actually got me a bit apprehensive.

So, can anyone suggest anything that is close by, within a relatively easy walk, with car parking which would be a relative oasis of sanity to get away from the apparent mad max type atmosphere of the main T sites.

Looking to book tickets tomorrow but am not convinced about attending if we have to camp in amongst the madness.

Cheers.

If this had still been at the old site, I`m sure plenty on here would have tried to help you out mate but with the new site last year I`m not sure anyone will have much experience to share.

I didn`t go last year and if you have a look back at the threads on here, one of the biggest problems seemed to be getting in and out. I went a few times over the years and they had a great set up for that at the old site. You " could " assume they will have learned alot of lessons from last year around the travel logistics etc.

Went a couple of times in recent years on day tickets and travelled in and out. Many moons ago I even did the crash in the car ( i had a zafira then ) " unofficially ". In the past they had free shuttle buses into Kinross where I have stayed at a B&B and we once stayed offsite at a farm but I doubt they would do it now as the site is to far away.

I`m still thinking about trying for a Friday day ticket so was having a wee look at possible places to stay that you could maybe try. It all looks pretty remote but " Muthill " is only 4 miles away and has a wee pub. There is also a golf course that will have a car park but I`m getting way old for that and don`t have the Zafira anymore ! It could be an option though :ph34r: 

There is also an airfirld closer to the site but if they are using that then there could be a few stewards/police floating around that area.

In the past they had pretty decent happy bus type things that would take you in and out to Stirling or Perth or even Glasgow. You could stay in a cheap travelodge and do it that way.

In the arena the atmosphere has always been fine and friendly in my experience. You do hear some horror stories from the campsites though. Good luck :)

Cheers,

Really do not want to do the onsite camping due to what I have heard and the nedfest that it seems to have descended into.

Is it really that bad?

I would be looking to go early Friday morning for the weekend. Are there any quieter bits for us old farts that I would be able to get into around lunchtime on the Friday and not be displaced into a teeming mass of nitro'd up teens and neds?

Or should I just cut losses and simply not bother?

Come to think of it, how much are the preprepared sites run by the festival? If they are a bit more organised and safer etc they may be an option but really have no clue as to how much they are.

Current festival website gives no info whatsoever so can't really consider whether to book one of these.

Any ideas on a guide range of prices. Just looking for something basic but organised and relatively secure.

T has a quiet camp area called Citizen T. Its away from all the madness :)

Excellent.

Shall take a punt and go for that then.

Can you book that on buying tickets or is it first come, first served on arrival do you know?

Thanks for that, has set my mind at rest a bit.

You have to wait for them to announce when you can apply, and then you apply by email. Then you wait for months to find if you got in, which you might not. If you do it's ok but you are still miles from your car and if it's in the same place as they had it last year then you are miles from the arena too. When I say they had it last year, they didn't. They scrapped it and then after many protestations they marked off an area but didn't enforce it. It ended up being one of the worst places for ned battles.

Ellis has apologised and said it'll be back proper. If so, it's ok. It's the only way I'd camp at T these days. 

Sounds like the pinnacle of great organisation and communication.

Still very much in two minds but think I might risk it but make it clear to the young uns that if I think that the place is out of order we will be packing up and leaving no matter what day it is or how much we miss.

All the descriptions I have read of TITP make Glastonbury/Latitude etc seem like the Elysian Fields :)

Sounds like the pinnacle of great organisation and communication.

Still very much in two minds but think I might risk it but make it clear to the young uns that if I think that the place is out of order we will be packing up and leaving no matter what day it is or how much we miss.

All the descriptions I have read of TITP make Glastonbury/Latitude etc seem like the Elysian Fields :)

The campsites are honestly not that bad mate. Any horror stroies seem blown out of proportion, it is defo filled with morons though. I've been the last 3 years and never once seen trouble but that's just me. Citizen T probs a good shout if you're older.

The campsites are honestly not that bad mate. Any horror stroies seem blown out of proportion, it is defo filled with morons though. I've been the last 3 years and never once seen trouble but that's just me. Citizen T probs a good shout if you're older.

And I do definitely fit into that category!!

Just hope that I can buy tickets and then rely on getting into Citizen T at a later stage. If not then will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice.......

Better start dusting the tents off then.

I stayed in Tangerine Fields this year, we booked a 4 man tent. I think it was around £400 but that was Thursday till sunday, it may be cheaper for Friday to Sunday. That was well organised and friendly enough. It was still a trek between the arena and campsite but when walking through the campsite i thought the extra paid was worth it to stay at Tangerine Fields. There are showers provided which were good, phone charging which wasnt so good and toilets which were always ok. Oh and a place where the ladies could straighten hair etc.

The walk may not seem long to you though, i dont know how far it is at Glastonbury if leaving the event each night.

Edited by cobaltstargazer
spelling

The walk may not seem long to you though, i dont know how far it is at Glastonbury if leaving the event each night.

Was only about 15 minutes from the campsite to the gate then about another 10 to the Other Stage so manageable.

The £extra for a tent will all be down to me (as well as ticket costs) so will have a look.

The thought of a 50 minute trek with tents and gear and not being able to leave anything secure in a nearby car might just tempt me....

Thank you.

From the arena it was only a 10 or 15 minute walk to the car, so it was easy to nip to the car on the way to the arena or on the way back.  We left most of our stuff at the car, clothes (to keep them dry, just took in what was needed for the next day) and phone chargers etc, also we usually stopped at the car to make some bacon rolls on a gas stove, much better than buying the rubbish they sold this year for stupid prices.

Citizen T run properly is fantastic, but there is no guarantee you'll get in. I paid the extra for Tangerine Fields this year and wasn't disappointed (NB I'm "older" with a mid-teen daughter, and those camping options are the only ones I'd consider). No problems in the arena with people, for the most part everyone is friendly and sociable...the only thing was the bottleneck created by the layout, but surely they've learned from their mistakes???!  We'll most probably be back, anyway.

Well, they're really not making this very easy are they?

Can only try to buy a maximum of two tickets in one order. not four as previously thought/listed.

Seeing as there are three, maybe four of us trying to go but can't buy more than two, they seem to be trying to make this as difficult as possible, as well as not being able to guarantee any Citizen t spots.

Think I'll give this apparent organisational shambles a miss.

Thanks for help.

• 2 months later...

Having said that I would give this a miss, I crumbled and bought some tickets. Me and two other late 40 somethings taking our rite of passage 16 yr old daughters!! Roses and Courteeners appeal to me as well as them plus whatever else hops on the lineup. It's not all about the music after all.

Anyway, getting back to the camping aspect, I had sent an email to Lethangie to see if they were again running this year and had no reply.

The Lethangie campsite website is now deceased and no more and the Facebook page holds no info so not sure what is happening.

Any locals or anyone in the know able to get any response from Lethangie or have any hint what is happening with them??

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Lor1 said:
2 hours ago, Lor1 said:
2 hours ago, Lor1 said:

Leathangie isn't  doing anything for titp this year.

.llew hA

Any other similar options that anyone might know about?

(I have no idea what made the quote function go into overdrive)

Edited by Copperface
weird layout

27 minutes ago, Lor1 said:

Been trying to book hotels or B@Bs in and around strathallan,nothing.

If you don't fancy titp campsite best shout is hotels in Perth.

Nah, just gonna rough it I think. The Pink Moon thing doesn't offer more than I've already got but definitely want to be camping rather than in a hotel.

Website now says they've enlarged the campsite by nearly 30% and have added security so will take a chance. I'm sure than my friend G&T will make things appear a lot rosier...

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Lor1 said:

Been trying to book hotels or B@Bs in and around strathallan,nothing.

If you don't fancy titp campsite best shout is hotels in Perth.

Does the new site still have the shuttle buses to Glasgow,  Perth etc. 

Used to be pretty well organised but I realise not so much last year. Were looking to come off site on Friday night / Saturday morning but have no plan at the moment on how or where to go. 

19 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Does the new site still have the shuttle buses to Glasgow,  Perth etc. 

Used to be pretty well organised but I realise not so much last year. Were looking to come off site on Friday night / Saturday morning but have no plan at the moment on how or where to go. 

Was going to book a hotel in Perth but the last bus back there is half 12 on the sat morning.

And 1 am Sunday and Monday morning.

Not for me that's the start of the night ;)