Bob Dylan thread

sifi

there's no way that the roundhouse could get 4,800 punters in... unles they got rid of the stage :blink:

even then it would be a squash

it used to be about 2,000 back in the old days. The 'balcony' might be a bit bigger, but the auditorium, if anything is smaller, because the stage is enormous now

<edited to say>.... just looked it up on the Roundhouse website, and 4,800 is what they claim..... which makes it nearly as big a capacity as the Brixton Academy, which sounds highly unlikely to me... oh well

sifi's quiet.. he must be in shock (in a good way I hope) :(

Was just thinking there is now way the Roundhouse holds 4,800!!!

I read on a Bob site that the capacity for his show was 1,800 and that only 800 tickets went on sale to the public...

edit: Thought O2 was great, he took a few songs to get into his stride, (The Times They Are A Changin' was pretty awful imho), and he didn't play guitar once.

Edited by LevellerRich

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sifi's quiet.. he must be in shock (in a good way I hope) :D

We stopped up in London, and only got home last night.

Oh, and I had a wonderful time :)

I'm not sure about the capacity of the venue. It didn't feel as big as Brixton or Hammersmith Odeon, more the size of Shepherds Bush Empire kinda size venue. But I was too busy shuffling around and enjoying the show to do a impromptu headcount.

I'm loving the new album, what with that accordian sound going off here there and everywhere. Adds an interesting dimension to it all.

Think It's All Good is probably the standout at the moment for me.

How was the gig?

I loved it. I believe the rumours of his live performance demise is greatly exaggerated. Thought Ain't Talkin and Don't Think Twice, It's All Right were particul tooarly good. Nice sing along on Rolling Stone. Good view and good sound too.

• 3 months later...

Lots of exciting Bob news of late.

Firstly he's got another new album on the way. And it's a Christmas album!

Christmas In The Heart will be the 47th album from Bob Dylan, and follows his worldwide chart-topping Together Through Life, released earlier this year. Songs performed by Dylan on this new album include, “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “Winter Wonderland,” “Little Drummer Boy” and “Must Be Santa.”

I think he's going for fifty albums in fifty years.

And secondly - he's going to be doing a voice recording for SatNav systems.

"I think it would be good," Dylan said, "if you are looking for directions and hear my voice saying something like 'left at the next street, no a right – y'know what? Just go straight.'"

linky

And finally - and possibly my favourite - he's going a bit loopy.

Sergeant Craig Spencer from Long Branch police station said: "Residents called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously.

"It was an odd request because it was mid-afternoon, but it’s an ethnic Latin area and the residents felt the man didn’t fit in. Lets just say he looked eccentric.

linky

Edited by sifimaster

nothing like a dreary old man to get you into the festive mood :rolleyes:

Dreary? I thought his last album was very upbeat. A couple of slowies, but some nice mid-tempo sounds, what that cajun type twist on it.

I'd like to see what he does with some of the standards. It's all the fun of being a Bob fan.

He got sent back to the hotel because he was going to see Bruce Springsteens old house. Dylan did the Beatles tour in Liverpool a few months back. Paid the 16 quid and rode the bus round Liverpool with the rest of the tour party! :rolleyes:

Apparently he turned up at the house in which Neil Young grew up in, and the new owners invited him in for a cup of tea.

Edited by sifimaster

• 1 month later...

So the new album is out, his second this year, and it's a Christmas album. Apparently the same man who once intoned "How does it feel?" now asks "Who has a big red nose? Santa has a big red nose".

The sales of the album will provide at least four million hot dinners to poor and homelss people on Christmas day.

47 albums?

Is that man made of lyrics?

That is over a period of fifty years, mind. Christ knows how many didn't make it onto record, or onto releases. Some of his best stuff is to be found on the bootleg series.

I reckon he's going for the fifty and then retire.

I'm still yet to listen to the bootleg series. None of them at all. Which one is the best?

1 - 3, I'd say. Covers pretty mucht he first twenty five years of his career. Essential purchase, some of the tracks - especially on disc two - are up there with some of his best works.

The Royal Albert Hall ones are pretty essential too. Brilliant recording of one of the most significant tours of, well, ever.

edit : If you are liking Time out of Mind, then you'd probably enjoy Volume 8 of the bootleg series, lots of outtakes and reworking of Time out of Mind on there. Plus 3 - count 'em - 3 versions of Mississippi (sp?).

Edited by sifimaster

So the new album is out, his second this year, and it's a Christmas album. Apparently the same man who once intoned "How does it feel?" now asks "Who has a big red nose? Santa has a big red nose".

The sales of the album will provide at least four million hot dinners to poor and homelss people on Christmas day.

The Metro review yesterday (not favourable) said Bob's voice brings menace to the festive season! I don't think that's a bad thing at all, gonna go out and buy it next couple of days.

The Metro review yesterday (not favourable) said Bob's voice brings menace to the festive season! I don't think that's a bad thing at all, gonna go out and buy it next couple of days.

The Times said the same thing (it was favourable review).

On the demonically jaunty Here Comes Santa Claus, the lines “Hang your stockings/ Say your prayers” are intoned with a grizzled finality that would hasten even the most overexcited child to bed on Christmas Eve.

What was the gist of the Metro's grousing?

Edited by sifimaster

The Times said the same thing (it was favourable review).

What was the gist of the Metro's grousing?

Well hardly anything new, apart from the comment about bringing menace to the festive season they also said that he sounds like a swaggering Xmas party drunkard, tired of ideas, all the usual...

• 1 month later...

Bob Dylan. Only artists to have a Top 100 of his own songs in Mojo?

1. Like A Rolling Stone

2. Positively 4th Street

3. Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands

4. Desolation Row

5. Blind Willie Mctell

6. It Aint Me, Babe

7. It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue

8. It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)

9. Mississippi

10. Just Like A Woman

11. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carrol

12. Love Sick

13. Highway 61 Revisited

14. Mr Tambourine Man

15. Tangled Up In Blue

16. Masters Of War

17. Every Grain Of Sand

18. Subterranean Homesick Blues

19. Idiot Wind

20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

21. Visions Of Johanna

22. The Times They Are A-Changin’

23. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall

24. I Shall Be Released

25. Hurricane

26. Shelter From The Storm

27. All Along The Watchtower

28. I Want You

29. Girl From The North Country

30. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight

31. Man In The Long Black Coat

32. Love Minus Zero/No Limit

33. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

34. Blowin’ In The Wind

35. Isis

36. Brownsville Girl

37. Gotta Serve Somebody

38. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

39. Dear Landlord

40. I’ll Keep It With Mine

41. Not Dark Yet

42. All I Really Want To Do

43. Million Dollar Bash

44. Forever Young

45. Lay Down Your Weary Tune

46. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right

47. Jokerman

48. If You See Her, Say Hello

49. Only A Pawn In Their Game

50. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

51. I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)

52. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere

53. She Belongs To Me

54. To Romana

55. I Threw It All Away

56. Tears Of Rage

57. One More Cup Of Coffee

58. Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35

59. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

60. Romance In Durango

61. Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

62. Most Of The Time

63. If Not For You

64. Song To Woody

65. Lay Lady Lay

66. Drifter’s Escape

67. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)

68. Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream

69. Ghost Of Eden

70. Queen Jane Approximately

71. Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You

72. Oxford Town

73. Simple Twist Of Fate

74. Things Have Changed

75. Talkin’ World War III Blues

76. I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine

77. You’re A Big Girl Now

78. With God On Our Side

79. Po’ Boy

80. Changin’ Of The Guards

81. Standing In The Doorway

82. I Believe In You

83. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

84. The Man In Me

85. Corrina, Corrina

86. Fourth Time Around

87. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry

88. Lonesome Day Blues

89. Talkin’bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

90. Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power)

91. Spanish Harlem Incident

92. The Ballad Of Hollis Brown

93. Chimes Of Freedom

94. Tombstone Blues

95. Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts

96. Goin’ To Acapulco

97. Sign On The Window

98. My Back Pages

99. This Wheel’s On Fire

100. Oh , Sister

how old are you? i keep picturing you as an old fuddy duddy.

I don't see the relevance. At the Dylan I went to, there were people there from 16 - 60. And 68 if you count the singer.

Look at that top 10 - music in there from the early sixties folk period, the thin mercury rock sound of the mid sixties, pure blues from the 80's, and what I think is one of the greatest songs I've heard released in the current decade.

Lay Lady Lay - 65th! Forever Young - 44th! Knockin' on Heaven's Door - 38th! Any other artist would be proud to have that lot in their top 10! :P