Versus Cancer in manchester

Guest moz4pm

To be fair you're clearly not a fan of a lot of them bands, but people who are fans will obviously have enjoyed the night more. Unfortunately I didnt go this year but would have enjoyed most of the line up.

The main problem is that everyone was bound to have higher expectations after the fantastic line up last year, and they didn't get close to the level of Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller, etc.. A lot of people were expecting The Verve, or Oasis, or someone of that level, and the enemy are nowhere near that size. On it's own though i'm sure seeing a good selection of bands would have been a decent night.

I can see your point, I just thought that they should have stayed true to the spirit of the previous years and it just feels like they totally discarded it and went for something that would appeal to a younger, less informed audience, no offence

The full running order and my rating/review:

The Sticks - Won an XFM competition and played 4 songs. Sounded like a cross between the Kooks, View, Pigoen Detectives and Razorlight, with a brother and sister as lead singers. Planned to play a 5th song but got booted off for time constraints. Coped well as noone knew their stuff and played confidently, much better than last years 'The Scratch'. 4/5

The Farm - Played 3 songs, including 'All Together Now' which was the first singalong of the night. Played well but didn't move much and just looked like an old mans band. Energetic sound though. 4/5

Inspiral Carpets - First off the singer was moving about like there was no tommorrow! Really energetic from Clint and the gang, got people going with some Manc classics. Should've been on later according to many. 4/5

The View - Again, another singalong song with 'Same Jeans', but failed to interact with the crowd. Sounded good though, and could soon be filling the MEN themselves. 4/5

Athlete - An odd band for the lineup. Played well, sounded good, added some variation to their songs. It seemed many got bored with the songs that they didnt know, but Half Light and Wires went down well. 4/5

Fun Lovin' Criminals - Again, an odd choice, but they're one of those bands you cannot help but enjoy. Got everyone moving to their steady funk grooves and rocking to 'Scooby Snacks'. 5/5

The Happy Mondays - Another one of those bands that you just cant help yourself but enjoy. Bez and Ryder participated in some play fighting, wrestling to the floor and even breaking Shaun's glasses. Probably the first band that all the seated actually stood for. 'Kinky Afro' arguably the highlight of their set, and, whether you see them as shambolic, stupid, annoying or anything in between, the performance was a true reminder of classic Madchester. Could've been on last. 5/5

The Fratellis - Strangely on before The Enemy...though that can be said for The Mondays and Inspirals too. Started on a relatively unknown song, but redeemed with 'Baby Fratteli' and 'Henrieta'. Played a new song, which was actually quite good. Then onto 'Flathead' and 'Old Black and Blue Eyes', a few others and then satisfying the crowd who had been singing the chorus of 'Chelsea Dagger' all through their set by playing a rousing rendition of the now classic stadium anthem. A great performance, commanding such stage presence. 5/5

The Enemy - On last, they came on to a mindblowing welcome from the crowd, singer Tom immediately shouting down the mic 'IM SO SICK SICK SICK IM TIRED!' and launching into 'Away From Here'. More songs followed in the form of 'Aggro', 'Pressure', 'Had Enough', 'Its Not Ok' (Which was dedicated to Oasis) and '40 Days and 40 Nights', all nearly causing the PAs to explode due to volume. The mics actually at one point started causing some vibrato, like some sort of interference. Next was favourite 'We'll Live & Die In These Towns' which odlly missed out most of the intro(but what it did have was just extended), and had a guy on keyboards yet he didnt bother to play that spooky sounding high-pitched riff, just the chords, causing the song to lose a bit of effect and oomph. They finished with 'Youre Not Alone' in an awe-inspiring way. Not surprised that theyve sold out most of their tour, they'll go far. 5/5

Finale - Rourke, Hook, White, Johnson, Potts, Gough and another bloke - Well this was a let down. Playing 'Please Please Please', 'Instant Karma', 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and BDB song, they droned on, and wouldve been better suited to something like 'How Soon Is Now', 'Live Forever' or 'Sally Cinammon'. LWTUA was the only highlight, and an 'Instant Karma' singalong was pretty bland, but did eventually pick up. 3/5.

Overall, this years lineup was stronger, but last years headliners were better. I'll need some time to determine which year was better, but I can say that this year was much better than I originally expected.

There is no way that this years lineup was better than last years, it was so bad i sold my ticket for less than face value.

Heres my ratings and i didn't go

Stix, unknown so wont rate them

The Farm 1/5

Inspirals 2/5

The View 1/5 shite band

FLC 2.5/5 novelty band

Happy mondays 5/5

Fratellis 3/5

The Enemy 1/5 hugely overrated band don't see what the fuss is all about

Collaboration 1/5 shoouldn't have bothered, compared to 2006 and 2007 this collaboration can't even be mentioned in the same breath

Overall 2.5/5, a huge disappointment, andy rourke was right this night will be talked about for years, for being the worst versus cancer lineup ever, complete shite

Are you Andy Rourke in disguise?

The Fratellis can never score above 1/5 because every tune sounds the same. Ditto The View. And the finale? I have had 11 reports and 11 opinions that LWTUA was crucified.

How this line up was, by any definition other than 'most favourite Xfm/NME bands' stronger than last years defies understanding.

I seem to remember them saying last year about expanding the versus cancer shows into events such as a big stadium show in the summer? If they are still doing that then maybe that's partly why they didn't have any megastars at the arena show.

• 1 year later...

Looks like they're continuing to murder the versus cancer franchise. Snow patrol have been announced for this years gig. Fortunately on that night I'll be at Leeds Uni watching the Mars Volta, a proper band.

• 2 weeks later...