UK festivals cancelled in 2024

9 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

If it goes to another asset management company it will be about money / future potential. Look at how acquisitive they've been with Providence alongside. Gone from a standing start in 2017 to £1.5bn valuation, growing by buying up festivals all over the world. It might be a different story with a publishing/comms company in charge. Apparently the sale is by auction, so highest bidder.

supersruct was always obviously a sell-on set-up.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

supersruct was always obviously a sell-on set-up.

Yeah, that ex-Live Nation guy is presumably going to make a killing on the sale. And Providence - they don't do this for nothing. I'd love to know how they're positioning the opportunity/potential to prospective buyers.

32 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Yeah, that ex-Live Nation guy is presumably going to make a killing on the sale. And Providence - they don't do this for nothing. I'd love to know how they're positioning the opportunity/potential to prospective buyers.

"Just think how colourful your balance sheet will be with all that red ink on it"

2 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

probably as another sell-on.

Just now, Neil said:

probably as another sell-on.

Ugh, that sounds so depressing. Like I get it, but it does make you realise how much everything you have a sniff of passion for nowadays always ends up being turned into a commodity to make someone else richer and buy a yacht.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

Ugh, that sounds so depressing. Like I get it, but it does make you realise how much everything you have a sniff of passion for nowadays always ends up being turned into a commodity to make someone else richer and buy a yacht.

It's like some hideous pyramid scheme isn't it. Take Tramlines... from council, to local business, to Superstruct/Providence, to next big asset management co... all the while getting more and more money-making, homogenised and expensive for the fans

23 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

can only succeed at that by having the passion to make it success.

3 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

It's like some hideous pyramid scheme isn't it. Take Tramlines... from council, to local business, to Superstruct/Providence, to next big asset management co... all the while getting more and more money-making, homogenised and expensive for the fans

you missed out a whole chapter of being bought by global(was it i forget?)

Edited by Neil

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

you missed out a whole chapter of being bought by global(was it i forget?)

Yeah, forgot that one. Adds to the point... layers of money - trickle up economics

Edited by sheffinghell

21 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Yeah, forgot that one. Adds to the point... layers of money - trickle up economics

I chat to people about this and one of the best examples of this is, most randomly, flowerbeds in towns and cities. Like when I was a kid there would be lovely, well-cared for flowerbeds in towns. Now, there are all these cutbacks, there's meant to be more money and industry than ever, but its all being spent by silicone billionaires playing Star Wars against each other. 

• Like 1

Just now, eatingglitter said:

I chat to people about this and one of the best examples of this is, most randomly, flowerbeds in towns and cities. Like when I was a kid there would be lovely, well-cared for flowerbeds in towns. Now, there are all these cutbacks, there's meant to be more money and industry than ever, but its all being spent by silicone billionaires playing Star Wars against each other. 

I guess what I'm trying to say in a super weird and convoluted way is that we don't get to enjoy the little pleasures anymore because the money is all funnelled away by the super rich. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eatingglitter said:

I guess what I'm trying to say in a super weird and convoluted way is that we don't get to enjoy the little pleasures anymore because the money is all funnelled away by the super rich. 

Yeah, feeling this more than ever these days. Think going forward I’m going to try to stick to events like Glastonbury and 2000 trees unless there’s a band I’ve never seen playing elsewhere. Go to independent venues etc. I feel like the festivals only end up going the way of R&L and the user/goer is getting less out of the experience and is constantly being sold something when I think a festival should be something to get away from your usual normal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Yeah, feeling this more than ever these days. Think going forward I’m going to try to stick to events like Glastonbury and 2000 trees unless there’s a band I’ve never seen playing elsewhere. Go to independent venues etc. I feel like the festivals only end up going the way of R&L and the user/goer is getting less out of the experience and is constantly being sold something when I think a festival should be something to get away from your usual normal. 

100% this. Like I’m bouji in that we have a campervan but whenever I go to a festival that has like a VIP upgrade or some sort of upgraded campsite which costs as much as a house deposit, I get the ick. 

4 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

it was broadwick live before global.

On 4/16/2024 at 7:09 PM, Rusty Spoon said:

2 Promoters, 1 Pod. It's an excellent podcast for any festival-goer. Would highly recommend. 

Thanks so much for this recommendation, I don't know many of the bands being mentioned but hearing these guys chat is fascinating and the topics are universal. 

• Upvote 1