À la recherche du temps perdu

clarkete

(can't pretend I know much about Proust, but grew up listening to quite a bit of Python, which is indeed amongst the stuff I found in the loft, sample of which is below - tried to photo so you can see what they are - although the Wedding Present Ukrainski Vistupi ten inch vinyl from 35 years ago perhaps not obvious (sadly not as valuable as one may imagine). 

Tbh having given away old Beatles, Stevie etc didn't think I had much vinyl but got a whole other box of it.  Maybe I should buy a hi fi?  😉

What have you got hidden in boxes? 

20240217_133306.jpg

20240217_133619.jpg

20240217_133914.jpg

On 2/17/2024 at 4:25 PM, clarkete said:

(can't pretend I know much about Proust, but grew up listening to quite a bit of Python, which is indeed amongst the stuff I found in the loft, sample of which is below - tried to photo so you can see what they are - although the Wedding Present Ukrainski Vistupi ten inch vinyl from 35 years ago perhaps not obvious (sadly not as valuable as one may imagine). 

Tbh having given away old Beatles, Stevie etc didn't think I had much vinyl but got a whole other box of it.  Maybe I should buy a hi fi?  😉

What have you got hidden in boxes? 

20240217_133306.jpg

20240217_133619.jpg

20240217_133914.jpg

Hello clarkete,

Just seen this post, With me, it's not so much boxes, but bags. I have oceans of stuff stuffed into strong supermarket bags. It all started off when i had to go look after my mom for 4 days of the week. This took me away from home. So, I started putting my creative tools and material type stuff into these bags, to take to my mom's house, every week. My car was full of these bags (there were easily 20+ bags. I would cart these to Birmingham from Bridgnorth, and visa versa every week, for about 18 months. It was an arduous task, loading and unloading repeatedly./

These bags are still around now - some in the house and some in the garage. Whenever I look into them my eyes gleam with delight at the contents. It's like looking into Aladdins cave. There are times when I do that, and almost drool. 

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello clarkete,

Just seen this post, With me, it's not so much boxes, but bags. I have oceans of stuff stuffed into strong supermarket bags. It all started off when i had to go look after my mom for 4 days of the week. This took me away from home. So, I started putting my creative tools and material type stuff into these bags, to take to my mom's house, every week. My car was full of these bags (there were easily 20+ bags. I would cart these to Birmingham from Bridgnorth, and visa versa every week, for about 18 months. It was an arduous task, loading and unloading repeatedly./

These bags are still around now - some in the house and some in the garage. Whenever I look into them my eyes gleam with delight at the contents. It's like looking into Aladdins cave. There are times when I do that, and almost drool. 

He he excellent. 

Tbh in my case it's a good job that something pretty dust and damp resistant has been protecting them over decades in my loft. 

Where do you keep the bags @Yoghurt on a Stick

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

He he excellent. 

Tbh in my case it's a good job that something pretty dust and damp resistant has been protecting them over decades in my loft. 

Where do you keep the bags @Yoghurt on a Stick

The bags are currently in the lounge, two spare bedrooms and the garage. I really need to throw a lot of stuff away - from the house and the garage. Unfortunately I suffer from being a hoarder. I have clean out purges every now and again. However, they are less frequent than me bringing new stuff in, so the overall balance errs towards accumulating, 

I look on Facebook Marketplace a lot. You'd be surprised at what people are giving away for free on there. I see these things and think to myself 'Oh, that's a useful item, or I could do some art with that, or whatever reason comes into my head, and then go get those things. Only yesterday I picked up a heavy duty metal and wood garden table - in very good condition. Now, we already have 5 garden tables (it's a big garden), and certainly didn't need another. However, in my minds eye, I can use the metal legs off this newly acquired table to make a much better table, which(in my mind) I could then sell again at a profit. 

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

43 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The bags are currently in the lounge, two spare bedrooms and the garage. I really need to throw a lot of stuff away - from the house and the garage. Unfortunately I suffer from being a hoarder. I have clean out purges every now and again. However, they are less frequent than me bringing new stuff in, so the overall balance errs towards accumulating, 

I look on Facebook Marketplace a lot. You'd be surprised at what people are giving away for free on there. I see these things and think to myself 'Oh, that's a useful item, or I could do some art with that, or whatever reason comes into my head, and then go get those things. Only yesterday I picked up a heavy duty metal and wood garden table - in very good condition. Now, we already have 5 garden tables (it's a big garden), and certainly didn't need another. However, in my minds eye, I can use the metal legs off this newly acquired table to make a much better table, which(in my mind) I could then sell again at a profit. 

Yeah, maybe start by snoozing FB marketplace.  I dunno about you, but the accumulation doesn't help my mental health. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, maybe start by snoozing FB marketplace.  I dunno about you, but the accumulation doesn't help my mental health. 

Unfortunately my mental health is probably the cause of me accumulating 'things'. I don't need more 'things'. I need less 'things', if anything. It's not a major issue (unless you talk to my wife!), but is an 'issue'. At one point my garage was so full of 'stuff' that I had to climb over about a  6 foot wall of stuff (at the entry to the garage), gently crawl my way over the stuff all the way back through the garage, to get to the back where my tools were, in order to get to use them. And then i had to crawl all the way back to get out again. this crawling wasn't exactly non perilous, because everything that supported me wasn't firmly in place. at any moment I could fall through, if it all collapsed. Mad, eh!?         

I'm currently decluttering my 'posh shed' (home office) getting rid of teaching materials and handouts going back fifteen years.  It's hard as a lot of work went into putting them together and some were pretty good.  But time has finally come for a clearance.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Unfortunately my mental health is probably the cause of me accumulating 'things'. I don't need more 'things'. I need less 'things', if anything. It's not a major issue (unless you talk to my wife!), but is an 'issue'. At one point my garage was so full of 'stuff' that I had to climb over about a  6 foot wall of stuff (at the entry to the garage), gently crawl my way over the stuff all the way back through the garage, to get to the back where my tools were, in order to get to use them. And then i had to crawl all the way back to get out again. this crawling wasn't exactly non perilous, because everything that supported me wasn't firmly in place. at any moment I could fall through, if it all collapsed. Mad, eh!?         

That doesn't sound like fun - how is it now?   I'm terrible at getting rid of some stuff - pc bits, electronics.  I did find that fb marketplace was great for getting rid of low value but usable items - just put it up for nowt but insist they collect and was always plenty of demand. 

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I'm currently decluttering my 'posh shed' (home office) getting rid of teaching materials and handouts going back fifteen years.  It's hard as a lot of work went into putting them together and some were pretty good.  But time has finally come for a clearance.

Ouch that does sound like an emotional pull.  I do have some bits and pieces from work over a couple of decades ago, but thankfully nothing that has a residual value still - IT so most things become valueless in a few years, which is good and also bloody tiresome. 

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

That doesn't sound like fun - how is it now?   I'm terrible at getting rid of some stuff - pc bits, electronics.  I did find that fb marketplace was great for getting rid of low value but usable items - just put it up for nowt but insist they collect and was always plenty of demand. 

Yes, my wife keeps telling me that I need to sell stuff on FB Marketplace, And the thing is I do. It's just that I am inherently lazy, and can procrastinate for my country. It's a problem that I must resolve. I would like to get my garage into the position whereby I could use it as a workshop, and be creative. However, my heart drops just when I think of the challenge. The whole foot print of the garage is currently about one quarter of the way up to the ceiling full. As I indicated previously, this is still a lot better than when there was only room for my body to crawl through.

This thread has been useful though, as it has refocused my need to get this thing done. So, thanks for that.

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, my wife keeps telling me that I need to sell stuff on FB Marketplace, And the thing is I do. It's just that I am inherently lazy, and can procrastinate for my country. It's a problem that I must resolve. I would like to get my garage into the position whereby I could use it as a workshop, and be creative. However, my heart drops just when I think of the challenge. The whole foot print of the garage is currently about one quarter of the way up to the ceiling full. As I indicated previously, this is still a lot better than when there was only room for my body to crawl through.

This thread has been useful though, as it has refocused my need to get this thing done. So, thanks for that.

Well that's positive at least, makes me relieved I don't have a garage 😉

But do put a stop to scanning marketplace for extra stuff - that's a small step and will ensure it doesn't get worse again 👍

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

But do put a stop to scanning marketplace for extra stuff - that's a small step and will ensure it doesn't get worse again 👍

Yes, that's something that has occured to me to do, to ensure that there is a net loss of stuff, rather than gain. My problem recently has been that I am actually after some cheap insulation board. I go on the site (it's the only thing that I have a FB account for) to look to see if there is any boards going cheap, and then I just automatically go onto the free stuff section. It is that 'automatic' element that I need to address. 

11 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, that's something that has occured to me to do, to ensure that there is a net loss of stuff, rather than gain. My problem recently has been that I am actually after some cheap insulation board. I go on the site (it's the only thing that I have a FB account for) to look to see if there is any boards going cheap, and then I just automatically go onto the free stuff section. It is that 'automatic' element that I need to address. 

I'm crap at DIY so I don't even know what that is 😉

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm crap at DIY so I don't even know what that is 😉

I'm crap at DIY, but do know what it is. I used to be good at DIY type things. It's just that those days have gone. 

I need to insulate the sub floor of a cabin that we have at the rear of our garden. We have, up until now, rented it out on Airbnb. We had some major works done to the cabin, but it wasn't properly insulated in that area. So, I need to make amends on that front. i have 90% of the boards already. Kind of waiting for a dry spell, as it'll mean me working on my back in a confined non lit space. 20 square metres of it. Well, let's face it, I was able to get through the garage hen there was little space, so this should be a doddle. that's the way my mind works, you see. When i go to do the job nowadays, it nearly always ends up in a calamity. I used to work fluently on my dad's building sites, and now I'm a threat to myself, and others! It was not too long ago when, in trying to fix the internal mechanism within a toilet, that I managed to smash the whole toilet cistern with a lump hammer. It smashed to pieces, water went everywhere, and continued to do so - until the stop c*ck was turned off. i was screaming blue murder at the time, and totally lost it. My neighbour ( a builder) came bounding in, and sorted it all out. This sorting out included fitting a new (plastic) cistern and reconnecting etc. It was a good job, because about 10 minutes after renewing it we had Airbnb cabin guests arrive. This is probably why I am apprehensive about doing any jobs. lol

47 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm crap at DIY, but do know what it is. I used to be good at DIY type things. It's just that those days have gone. 

I need to insulate the sub floor of a cabin that we have at the rear of our garden. We have, up until now, rented it out on Airbnb. We had some major works done to the cabin, but it wasn't properly insulated in that area. So, I need to make amends on that front. i have 90% of the boards already. Kind of waiting for a dry spell, as it'll mean me working on my back in a confined non lit space. 20 square metres of it. Well, let's face it, I was able to get through the garage hen there was little space, so this should be a doddle. that's the way my mind works, you see. When i go to do the job nowadays, it nearly always ends up in a calamity. I used to work fluently on my dad's building sites, and now I'm a threat to myself, and others! It was not too long ago when, in trying to fix the internal mechanism within a toilet, that I managed to smash the whole toilet cistern with a lump hammer. It smashed to pieces, water went everywhere, and continued to do so - until the stop c*ck was turned off. i was screaming blue murder at the time, and totally lost it. My neighbour ( a builder) came bounding in, and sorted it all out. This sorting out included fitting a new (plastic) cistern and reconnecting etc. It was a good job, because about 10 minutes after renewing it we had Airbnb cabin guests arrive. This is probably why I am apprehensive about doing any jobs. lol

Bless, I've never done anything remotely skilled. Tried paint stripping after the pub when I still lived with my parents and blowtorches were still gas - went as well as you'd expect, so thankfully they were forgiving of the occasional scorch mark 😉

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Bless, I've never done anything remotely skilled. Tried paint stripping after the pub when I still lived with my parents and blowtorches were still gas - went as well as you'd expect, so thankfully they were forgiving of the occasional scorch mark 😉

That differs from my experience. My father wasn't well known for his forgiveness - and not just on DIY . building related matters! 

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks clarkete.

It's something that I struggle with. However, I do recognise that I was a handful to deal with , vis-à-vis from his perspective - and that, for some odd reason, gives me some peace. 

It's good that you've been able to find a way of putting it in some perspective, although I'm sure it wasn't your fault 😊

I was lucky at several points in my life that I did things stupid or naughty that thankfully didn't hurt others or get me into bigger trouble...but not down to my judgement. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I was lucky at several points in my life that I did things stupid or naughty that thankfully didn't hurt others or get me into bigger trouble...but not down to my judgement. 

You are preaching to the converted on the stupid / naughty things done side of things. All part of life's rich tapestry, as far as I view it. Not to be gone back to though. A lot of my 'activities' occurred when I was going through a heavy drinking period. I still drink heavily / heartilly, but not to that level of incoherence. I'm glad of that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You are preaching to the converted on the stupid / naughty things done side of things. All part of life's rich tapestry, as far as I view it. Not to be gone back to though. A lot of my 'activities' occurred when I was going through a heavy drinking period. I still drink heavily / heartilly, but not to that level of incoherence. I'm glad of that.  

Yes, I'm sure many of us are a bit broken from what we've done to ourselves over the years. 

I think I've occasionally learnt from it 😉