Queuing for the best pitch

Bigfishlittlefish

1 hour ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Would you recommend gate a coach que for aiming for pennards/park home then?

The trek from the coach drop-off/bus station to Gate D is  considerable and could even entail a detour back out onto the road to get round Steanbow Farm and the general admission queue at Gate A. (perhaps others with better memory can assist here). Add to this are the queues at Gate D on Wednesday morning. These are normally very long and slow as it's an extremely popular entry point. Personally I'd enter from the bus station channel at Gate A as the queues are likely to be much shorter and then make tracks across the site once inside.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 1:56 PM, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Ok I'm gonna be as specific as possible and hope someone replies 🙂

First time at Glastonbury for the 6 of us, we are traveling from Liverpool by coach and will be arriving 5am. Our concern is we have an XL (Berghaus air 6XL) tent, want to camp somewhere lively and aren't sure how possible it will be.

pennard hill, park home, oxylers sound great but the walk from the coach drop off to gate D seems huge (anyone know how long?) So we won't be in the que until maybe just before 6am and it sounds like people que from Tuesday afternoon. Is it a lost cause aiming for a lively place with a large tent (we have a porch add-on for the tent and shower tent too)? and is it that much of a purge that people will rip up our shower tent etc so they can get a pitch?

If it's within reason to aim for these places given our tent size and que time I would like to have a prioritised hit list of where we should try first based on likelihood of enough space. I.e. 1. Pennard hill 2. Park home 3. oxylers etc.

Thanks in advance this won't be my last question as I'm sooooo excited 🙂

Your main obstacle to getting a decent pitch on Pennards, Park & Oxylers may be the shear size of your tent. Not only is it very long but its also very wide, especially when the space need for the guide ropes is added. This makes it less adaptable to the space camping space which may be  available. Tents in popular areas are often less than 30cm apart.

Edited by Lycra

On 2/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Unfortunately showers are a must for me and we figured it beats £100 shower pass x 6 people and the long ques 😬

You make a very good point though and we will be considerate and get something we can stand in to catch the falling water 😁

Just curious what are these £100 shower passes you talk about, not heard about them before, i normally take a shower, when the stages are busy and make a charitable donation

On 2/18/2022 at 12:56 AM, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Ok I'm gonna be as specific as possible and hope someone replies 🙂

First time at Glastonbury for the 6 of us, we are traveling from Liverpool by coach and will be arriving 5am. Our concern is we have an XL (Berghaus air 6XL) tent, want to camp somewhere lively and aren't sure how possible it will be.

pennard hill, park home, oxylers sound great but the walk from the coach drop off to gate D seems huge (anyone know how long?) So we won't be in the que until maybe just before 6am and it sounds like people que from Tuesday afternoon. Is it a lost cause aiming for a lively place with a large tent (we have a porch add-on for the tent and shower tent too)? and is it that much of a purge that people will rip up our shower tent etc so they can get a pitch?

If it's within reason to aim for these places given our tent size and que time I would like to have a prioritised hit list of where we should try first based on likelihood of enough space. I.e. 1. Pennard hill 2. Park home 3. oxylers etc.

Thanks in advance this won't be my last question as I'm sooooo excited 🙂

Hi, are you on a seetickets coach? If so, how do you know you’ll be arriving at 5am?

On 2/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, Lycra said:

Your main obstacle to getting a decent pitch on Pennards, Park & Oxylers may be the shear size of your tent. Not only is it very long but its also very wide, especially when the space need for the guide ropes is added. This makes it less adaptable to the space camping space which may be  available. Tents in popular areas are often less than 30cm apart.

We went with the air 8 tent in the end which is about half the width I think so shouldn't be as bad, thanks for the advice!

On 2/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, waynewdk said:

Just curious what are these £100 shower passes you talk about, not heard about them before, i normally take a shower, when the stages are busy and make a charitable donation

Zooloos I think they're called 🙂 Apparently it's actually a small walk outside of the festival site too which doesn't sound great.

24 minutes ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Zooloos I think they're called 🙂 Apparently it's actually a small walk outside of the festival site too which doesn't sound great.

Quite a substantial walk outside, unless they've moved this year.

Just use the Festival or Greenpeace showers, and time it so you avoid the morning/lunchtime rush. It's free, and because both are reasonably centrally located you can stop in between acts.

Hijacking this thread a bit, we’ve also got a huge tent (3mx7m) for our group, two of us are now going to go early on Wednesday morning to set it up and the rest join us over Wednesday/Thursday.

Its not feasible for us to queue overnight but we can basically get there any time on Wednesday morning now, we’re thinking about getting there for about 8am/9am.

Our preference would be the areas around the pyramid, but that is much smaller and seems like a bit of a gamble with such a big tent? Basically if there is no space there isn’t really anywhere else in the vicinity that will be empty, so it seems like we’d be looking at a long walk to find alternative space. What is the likelihood of space for a large tent still being there if we rock up about 8/9am?

The alternative seems a lot less risky which is to come through Gate D and see what space is available as far as we can walk from there, but if there isn’t any in some of the prime spots, there will be plenty close-ish by.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hijacking this thread a bit, we’ve also got a huge tent (3mx7m) for our group, two of us are now going to go early on Wednesday morning to set it up and the rest join us over Wednesday/Thursday.

Its not feasible for us to queue overnight but we can basically get there any time on Wednesday morning now, we’re thinking about getting there for about 8am/9am.

Our preference would be the areas around the pyramid, but that is much smaller and seems like a bit of a gamble with such a big tent? Basically if there is no space there isn’t really anywhere else in the vicinity that will be empty, so it seems like we’d be looking at a long walk to find alternative space. What is the likelihood of space for a large tent still being there if we rock up about 8/9am?

The alternative seems a lot less risky which is to come through Gate D and see what space is available as far as we can walk from there, but if there isn’t any in some of the prime spots, there will be plenty close-ish by.

Getting there 8/9 means you could be queuing for up to 2hrs and so not get in until 10/11.....assuming arrival by car. By this time I'd expect a very little chance of being able to set up a tent with such a large footprint near the Pyramid area. The last time I entered by Gate B the area practically full by 10 with peeps squeezing small tents into ever smaller spaces.

Entering by Gate A or D is a sensible suggestion for "later" arrivals as most of the camping is on the west side of the site and here areas other than Oxylers, Pennard and Park are slower to fill. Hauling a large and probably heavy across the site looking for space is not a pleasant task. 

30 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Getting there 8/9 means you could be queuing for up to 2hrs and so not get in until 10/11.....assuming arrival by car. By this time I'd expect a very little chance of being able to set up a tent with such a large footprint near the Pyramid area. The last time I entered by Gate B the area practically full by 10 with peeps squeezing small tents into ever smaller spaces.

Entering by Gate A or D is a sensible suggestion for "later" arrivals as most of the camping is on the west side of the site and here areas other than Oxylers, Pennard and Park are slower to fill. Hauling a large and probably heavy across the site looking for space is not a pleasant task. 

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, best to probably go through gate D as it’s not worth the risk otherwise.

Although it’s a big tent it’s actually not that heavy between two of us, plus we’re bringing minimal stuff as the others will bring some of it for us later. The main thing for us is to set the tent up and try and get the best pitch we can at that time. Even so, I wouldn’t fancy walking across from the east of the site to the west with it if we couldn’t get a spot there.

30 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, best to probably go through gate D as it’s not worth the risk otherwise.

Although it’s a big tent it’s actually not that heavy between two of us, plus we’re bringing minimal stuff as the others will bring some of it for us later. The main thing for us is to set the tent up and try and get the best pitch we can at that time. Even so, I wouldn’t fancy walking across from the east of the site to the west with it if we couldn’t get a spot there.

Done arrive east camp west once......never again!

• Upvote 1