Boomtown 2019 help

Gregwards

I went to my first festival last year (Boomtown 2018) and had a wonderful time, ended up going solo (not out of choice), but met some amazing people, 2 of which are members and told me of this forum so firstly I would just like to say thank you to those two (not going to mention names because I am new to the forum, don't know their usernames and not my place to give out their real names) and the friends that are not on this forum. 

Now on to my problem, already got a ticket for 2019 and a friend whose coming with me, but we are thinking of costumes, food, tents etc and not knowing enough about boomtown or festivals in general wondering if here can give any advice if I have any questions? 

So far we have had quite a few ideas and most we have figured out no problem, but there are a few I would like some advice on. Thinking of putting lights on an old work uniform (no longer work there so doesn't matter if gets damaged) but want something easy to do and looks good. (UPS uniform, shirt, tie, hat, belt, trousers, jacket and a parcel). Another idea is steampunk hobo theme, (not lit up), and a few others we are thinking about we may need help on.  Any help with ideas would be appreciated. 

Plus while I'm here would like to say hello to everyone, new here but hope to pop on regularly. Only have plans for boomtown again this year but hope to try a few more over the next few years. Not really good at introductions but hope to chat and get to know people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Greg!

If you're looking for fancy dress ideas, a really great place to go is the Glastonbury Fancy Dress thread. I know it's a different festival, but some of those guys have some really great ideas and I know they won't mind giving you some advice. Not sure if the regulars on the Boomtown thread are quite as crafty, but maybe they can prove me wrong :)

As for the two efestival folk you met last year...judging by your username, I think I may have been one of them! Assuming two of the people you are referring to were girls volunteering with Oxfam....

Edited by Sasperella
Ooops...forgot to post the link!

13 hours ago, Gregwards said:

I went to my first festival last year (Boomtown 2018) and had a wonderful time, ended up going solo (not out of choice), but met some amazing people, 2 of which are members and told me of this forum so firstly I would just like to say thank you to those two (not going to mention names because I am new to the forum, don't know their usernames and not my place to give out their real names) and the friends that are not on this forum. 

Now on to my problem, already got a ticket for 2019 and a friend whose coming with me, but we are thinking of costumes, food, tents etc and not knowing enough about boomtown or festivals in general wondering if here can give any advice if I have any questions? 

So far we have had quite a few ideas and most we have figured out no problem, but there are a few I would like some advice on. Thinking of putting lights on an old work uniform (no longer work there so doesn't matter if gets damaged) but want something easy to do and looks good. (UPS uniform, shirt, tie, hat, belt, trousers, jacket and a parcel). Another idea is steampunk hobo theme, (not lit up), and a few others we are thinking about we may need help on.  Any help with ideas would be appreciated. 

Plus while I'm here would like to say hello to everyone, new here but hope to pop on regularly. Only have plans for boomtown again this year but hope to try a few more over the next few years. Not really good at introductions but hope to chat and get to know people. 

Any questions ... dont hesitate to ask ... i do quite a bit of work with costumes and hats and they are usually lit in some way :) pm me or reply on here ... ive just been offering my help to someone from glasto chat yesterday and quite happy to help out :) 

@Tommy101 @Sasperella Hello again, 

Once again thank you for making my first festival such a great experience. I've never used the words life changing after a night/weekend out and usually a week later amazing turns into wasn't bad but boomtown I still consider life changing. 

@crazyfool1 On to costumes now, we have an idea for a different costume for Friday, Saturday and Sunday but they are still up for debate and changing but the main thing that stays constant are things like neon/glow in the dark paint, how to light them up and the types of lights to use. The ideas I have are, hobo with top hat, lights that look cheap (maybe glow sticks on the hat) torn blazer and trousers, cheap torn boots (thinking of making them something I can slip over my trainers so they are still comfortable just big feet), maybe a disorder alley kind of vibe to them. 

Second on the list is a beer builder theme. Seen fake hard hats with 2 beer holders and speaker/microphone on top. Want to paint the hat to glow so was wondering which would be better, glow in the dark paint or neon with that wire lighting (not sure what it's called), with overalls, boots and beer belt. Again going to see about lighting the belt up. 

And thirdly, I have an old UPS uniform and no longer work there. Mate came up with the idea last year for a party but had no idea where to start on that one. Mate had quite a few ideas but any would be good for that one. 

Cheers for the help, I will try to post photos as I go. Not started yet but gives the bonus of if anyone has any ideas, nothing needs to be altered still everything to do.

ok 

1 hour ago, Gregwards said:

@Tommy101 @Sasperella Hello again, 

Once again thank you for making my first festival such a great experience. I've never used the words life changing after a night/weekend out and usually a week later amazing turns into wasn't bad but boomtown I still consider life changing. 

@crazyfool1 On to costumes now, we have an idea for a different costume for Friday, Saturday and Sunday but they are still up for debate and changing but the main thing that stays constant are things like neon/glow in the dark paint, how to light them up and the types of lights to use. The ideas I have are, hobo with top hat, lights that look cheap (maybe glow sticks on the hat) torn blazer and trousers, cheap torn boots (thinking of making them something I can slip over my trainers so they are still comfortable just big feet), maybe a disorder alley kind of vibe to them. 

Second on the list is a beer builder theme. Seen fake hard hats with 2 beer holders and speaker/microphone on top. Want to paint the hat to glow so was wondering which would be better, glow in the dark paint or neon with that wire lighting (not sure what it's called), with overalls, boots and beer belt. Again going to see about lighting the belt up. 

And thirdly, I have an old UPS uniform and no longer work there. Mate came up with the idea last year for a party but had no idea where to start on that one. Mate had quite a few ideas but any would be good for that one. 

Cheers for the help, I will try to post photos as I go. Not started yet but gives the bonus of if anyone has any ideas, nothing needs to be altered still everything to do.

ok so some of the types of lights are el wire ... which is a glowing wire which is fairly bendable and can be sewn or glue gunned onto clothes .. I use fishing wire ... best site for this https://elwirecraft.co.uk very good in terms of customer service ...also available on amazon ... the lights im using at the moment are these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-2m-USB-LED-Strip-Lights-IP65-5050-RGB-TV-LED-Strip-With-Remote-Controller/253607752506?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552829273043&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 available on eBay and they have the advantage of a remote control and being able to change the colour .. these are powered by small mobile phone charging batteries .... as for glow in the dark the best option would be to paint something with uv paint and buy a uv torch with a flashing mode ... so u could shine it constantly for a constant glow or have the item flashing but you would have to have the torch in your hand ...I try and go for a theme that is relevant to the festival ... so for glastonbury my hats are the pyramid and ribbon tower .. not been to boomtown so cant talk for that one too much but im sure they have a theme ?.. 

@crazyfool1 Thank you. As someone who has never done this, that has been very helpful. Got a few ideas of what to do/try. As stated above, the costume ideas are constantly changing, already decided against the UPS uniform idea (may change mind again but at the moment, thinking of other ideas). The main factors I am thinking of are cost, comfort, easiness and practically. Also changing steampunk hobo to just steampunk vibe. At the moment, I am liking the beer builder idea because it covers all these factors and can be used again for other festivals/parties etc. Not sure if it has a boomtown vibe and this is where I need the most help. I have only been once and there was so much to see/do, I can't say I completely get/understand the boomtown theme. I know each sector has its own style and some are more obvious/memorable than others. Can someone list the different sectors and their associated themes? I know disorder alley has a steampunk kind of theme, paradise heights more of a post apocalyptic upper class vibe (not sure if that is accurate), but there are a few I just can't remember and spent so much time lost there, it would be nice if someone with more knowledge/experience could A. Correct me if I am wrong and B. Let me know the themes for the other areas, it would be greatly appreciated. I think with the lineups on the website, I will try to theme them on the sectors I will be in more (minus the beer builder because that fits in anywhere lol). 

Also quickly, with the el wire, which would be best to use? I was thinking of using the 2.3mm for things like hats and 3.2mm for clothes. Having no experience in this though, what would you recommend? Going to try to keep the design simple and will draw up designs etc before finally making a decision and can post on here if people are willing to advise and help. Thank you again for all your help.