4g or Home broadband for T day

iloveglasto

Morning, I'm getting myself in a pickle and would love some advice. I've been lucky enough to be successful every year since 2010 and generally go into my work to try whilst it is closed and use their super quick broadband. This year I have stupidly agreed to go fishing for the weekend (Best mates Birthday and booked by him 6 months ago so can't let him down). Where my indecision is bothering me is I can try from the bank on Sunday with two laptops tethered to two phones via 4g (providing I can get it!), or I can get up early, drive home (1 hour) try from home with my 200mbps virgin connection then drive back to my mate (another hour). Would being at home with a faster connection give me any advantage?

8 minutes ago, iloveglasto said:

Morning, I'm getting myself in a pickle and would love some advice. I've been lucky enough to be successful every year since 2010 and generally go into my work to try whilst it is closed and use their super quick broadband. This year I have stupidly agreed to go fishing for the weekend (Best mates Birthday and booked by him 6 months ago so can't let him down). Where my indecision is bothering me is I can try from the bank on Sunday with two laptops tethered to two phones via 4g (providing I can get it!), or I can get up early, drive home (1 hour) try from home with my 200mbps virgin connection then drive back to my mate (another hour). Would being at home with a faster connection give me any advantage?

Cant you take a laptop and remotely login into your work PC? That's what I'm doing.... plus using 1 computer on home wifi... and 1 computer tethered to 4G on Thursday.

On Sunday I'll be going into work.

If the signal is good (3G/4G) then I think you have as good a chance as any. Year before last I didn't get a sniff on my hard wire connection and got through on my phone. Pain in the arse mind trying to type all the info in using a phone but it worked for us that year. IMO though I always feel you have more of a chance using a computer/laptop with hardwired connection even though that probably isn't true

I have got tickets before on a ropey signal on my phone in the middle of the New Forest, on a good signal by Hadrian's Wall, an internet cafe in Hiroshima as well as countless times from home. Am not convinced it makes much difference whether it's mobile or hardwired. Am no computer expert, just going on my personal history ?

Edited by IamChappu
grammar

If you have a good 4G signal then you have just as much chance as anyone else. 

I'll be on 100Mb Virgin BB but I'll also have one of those "EE hotspots" so might swap my phone simm into that  for a 4G wifi route into the sale too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what to do as if I stay and try on my mobile and don't get tickets then I'd regret not driving home, blaming that rather than accepting it was the ticket gods. I'm not that tech savvy and just thought that the quicker the connection the better the chance but reading other threads this doesn't seem to be the case?

I will be taking my work laptop but don't have access to work through a VPN. I might have a word with IT to see if the can give me access. Would that be quicker that just using the 4g signal on my mobile?

Sorry this is in reply to CeriG as cant work out how to reply directly to their post. (Told you I was useless with computers!)

Edited by iloveglasto
add text