Newbie needs fest advice

Mmickey_w

This year is my first ever going to any camping festival, so i have a couple of questions.

1. Where to camp? Ive heard orange is good. We want a lively party vibe but no dickheads looking to start trouble! Dont really care if its noisy etc as we will want to mostly party anyway.

2. How easy is it to make new friends? Its only me and my mate going, so ideally we want to meet others to drink with etc. Is this easy to come by or do large groups mostly keep to themselves?

3. How much money to bring? Not including the necessities like wellies etc which we'll buy before entry. There is obviously only so much you can carry in drinks-wise, so we will probably have to spend some money. So basically how much money to bring for food, alcohol and maybe some stronger stuff?

4. Food. Expensive? Better to bring in or buy? What sort of food?

We are 17&18.

Thanks in advance for any replies

1. I'd say red for you but orange is fine

2. I'd say it is relatively easy. Your probably find some smaller groups around you so just go and say hi and last year I meet two different groups of people on two different nights. Can't remember who they were but I had a good time regardless.

3. Depends really. If you bring a lot of food and alcohol you don't have to spend a penny but if you're not you're going to have to spend quite a bit of cash. You don't always have to buy on site. Get the bus to Tesco and buy some stuff there if you want to save some cash.

4. It is quite expensive, so just bring some in with you. Chances are you'll probably bring too much the first year but eventually you'll get it too what you need to get through the weekend as you go to festivals.

If I haven't answered your questions or want more info just let me know, I'll be happy to help :)

Thanks for the info!

What sort of food would you recommend to bring in?

And how does red differ from orange since you suggested it might be better?

Do you reckon its possible to bring in a full supply of alcohol for the whole festival? Wont someone possibly steal the stash? I think id have to buy a pretty big rucsac for all the stuff lol.

Depends on how well you're willing to come prepared. Some people bring in camping stoves (I'm not sure to which ones you can bring so you'll have to check on the website) and just bring in food you just need to add hot water too like noodles. I just bring in dry food like crisps and cereal bars and I make do that way. I do tend to order a pizza from a takeaway the night before, wrap it in tinfoil and eat that the next day. I actually managed to make 1 and half 11 inch pizzas and around 9 cereal bars keep me nourished for 3 days at 2000trees this year (I only bought one food item on site and ate the rest of the cereal bars on the day I had to leave) so it is up to you.

Well they're both the same really, red is a bit more lively but I never had any problems whatsoever, it is also closer to the arena but orange is closer to the campsite entrance. Either way it'll be fine but with this year yellow being gone a few dickheads may turn up in red and blue but every time I met people from yellow they've been fine. Most people are just looking for a good time.

Yeah, I've done the past two years as I couldn't buy anything at Tesco because I wasn't 18 then. Both years I managed to bring in over 20 cars of larger and around 1.5 litres of spirits and I had stuff left over at the end and never once was it is stolen. If you're a bit concerned about it being stolen just try your best to hid it. Most people are looking to steal more than just your alcohol. Also bare in mind I did take two trips to the campsite to get it all from the car but if you're packing light spirits are a lot better to take but you do have to take them in a plastic bottle or they'll be confiscated off you.

Me and my friend are in the exact same dilemma as you are! Originally we were a big group going together but now there's just two of us - both who have never been before. Reading this was good help for me also, if you're looking for friends so are we if you'd like to buddy up haha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me and my friend are going for the first time and there is only the two of us... (20 & 21)

We are in the same situation and have no idea where to camp...

Looking at the location we are thinking Blue D or anywhere in red apart from D

I have spoken to a few people which have said Orange is wild, we want to party but not too much i.e having to deal with a bunch of tools that are rowdy all night with no respect...

We're also really worried about the theft part too with there only being the two of us.

Any ideas on where will be best..... Thank you in advance! :)

I'm going for the first time this year too! I was wondering if anyone knew about on the festival website, where it says plastic sealed bottles under 500ml are allowed in the campsite... does this mean no bottles over 500ml then?

I've never heard of that rule before and I've always used 750ml bottles for my alcohol. Anyway I doubt they'll stop you if you get searched on the way in. The only seem to confiscate items that are illegal or would potential cause harm and I don't think anyone is going to get high or seriously injured over a plastic bottle that is over 500ml :P

But in theory they could confiscate but I highly doubt it

Edited by justanothername

There are never any restrictions on plastic bottle size for the campsite - would be pretty stupid as everyone pours their spirits in to 1 or 2 litre bottles.

It's the arena that they confiscate open bottles or anything sealed but over 500ml.

I remember my first ever festival was glasto when i was 19 ish. and how ludicrously under prepared i was.I am now 40 - going to a festival is a very professional affair, full on equipment for cooking , weather, comfort etc. I wish i knew then what i know now as they say - the glasto experience would have been a whole lot better! Even with youth on my side - running out of dry clothes and footwear, food and money spoils the experience i feel.  Take more money than you think you will need - hide it in random places, keep your tent messy ish - if all your valuable/necessetities are in one bag - then a chance thief has an easy job of stealing that bag - gone in a flash. if you have cereal bars in socks and paracetamol in bottom of your sleeping bag - harder for thieves to have a good old rake around. you get the picture..........remember - if its bad weather people will steal anything to make their festival better - especially wellies and boots!!!! without them you are stuffed.