ilbeyene

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can tell you that in the Alternativa camping there are a lot of Italians but a lot of Dutch people too. It's managed by the Italian Sziget Management but it's an international campsite just like Siesta Camping.

Usually it's the first upgrade campsite that goes sold out (with the exception of VIP camping) so if you wanna take that ticket you better not wait too long. :)

Edited by ilbeyene

im pretty sure you can get into one of the camping upgrade sites earlier than monday. im sure the "moving in" ticket is valid for them. at work at the mo and a lot of sites are blocked so cant find where i read it. (the sziget site uses Flash and crashes my browser at work as its not an to update browser & flash)

I want to camp in one of the 3 upgrade sites (not really interested in VIP) but i dont want to be surronded by manly one nationality, as it may be hadrer for me to meet people (dutch always have amazing english though!). my French is ok...not great conversation though!

Any ideas on what people think is the best for a lone english travler - seista, Alternativa or Apero? i like shade, and at camp i like to chill. (seista mentions shade, hence my intial interest)

Im planing on landing Thur. Get a hotel Thur, Fri and move in on site Sat...or maybe Sun? want to explore the city.

Edited by doobie ninja

Sorry if these questions have been asked before have been going through the threads.

Thinking about going sziget this year for the first time, as regards to camping; is it work paying the extra for camping Alternatvia / Apero (which seems to have a restaurant?) just be able to use nicer toilets/showers and for phone charging / lockers etc? which i presume will have shorter queues seeing as its only for those camping there? Would it be possible to camp else where and just buy a ticket to use their services?

Also is it possible to bring gazebos / canapés or something for extra shade or are the trees enough?

Alcohol wise - do they only sell beer at the bars or do they sell cider too?? i presume they sell spirits and cocktails aswell?

Is there any electricity points available in the festival for festival goers use?

Thanks

Edited by Mary Or

I'm dutch, and indeed most dutch people speak english quite good.

I also speak English, but French and Italian are a no-go :-)

Speak a litle french, but not good enough for conversation.

I mainly like to stay at one of the campsites to be able to get away from the busy festival a litle. So the Alternativa sounds bests to me.

So, doobie ninja, if you stay at Alternativa you have at least one person to talk to ;-)

And "Mary Or" brings something up, i was also wondering about.
A litle while ago I saw you could buy a XL-locker with power outlet, but they are already sold out.

So what are the possebilities for charging phones etc at Sziget?

And to answer "Mary Or", I never been to Sziget before, going for the first time this year.

But what i think are the pro's of staing at one of the special campsites are:

- only people that stay on the campsite can enter, so bit more secure

- being able to get away from the big crowd

- more easy to find a good spot to camp

- some extra toilets/showers

And to answer "Mary Or", I never been to Sziget before, going for the first time this year.

But what i think are the pro's of staing at one of the special campsites are:

- only people that stay on the campsite can enter, so bit more secure

- being able to get away from the big crowd

- more easy to find a good spot to camp

- some extra toilets/showers

Thats the exact reason why i want a camping upgrade, i believe its a little amount of money but for some good gains.

iv never been but as far as im aware, beer, spirits and wine have been mentioned many times. as fo shade, people say there are a lot of trees but it will depend on when you get there. Gazebos are allowed too. this is one reason why i want to get on site early, dont want to spend the week sweating my balls off in my tent!

mkrve - if you do go Alternative camping, you can pay 16 euros for a locker (normally 25 euros if you stay in normal camping). not sure what size it is though? It then also says "phone charging at an extra cost". so i imagaine there is a phone charging tent / station within the Alternative camp.

Right...back to the drawing board for me then as i was quite set on Seista camping. just want some where chilled and not right by some all night stage (wow i sound dull!!!)

i just took a look at the map from last year. and indeed the Alternativa is farthest away from the stages. All the way on the right side of the island.

The siesta camping is on the botom left. closest to some stages if i'm right.

btw. just noticed something, if i go to the tickets on the dutch sziget site i can buy tickets for all campsites.

if i go there on the italian site, they can only buy for the Alternativa campsite, but the french can buy for all campsites. :-)

Also looking for flight tickets now... difficult finding a desent priced ticket from Holland (or close by) to budapest arriving not to late on saturday. preferably a direct flight. having one or two stops doesnt sound pleasant.

i just took a look at the map from last year. and indeed the Alternativa is farthest away from the stages. All the way on the right side of the island.

The siesta camping is on the botom left. closest to some stages if i'm right.

btw. just noticed something, if i go to the tickets on the dutch sziget site i can buy tickets for all campsites.

if i go there on the italian site, they can only buy for the Alternativa campsite, but the french can buy for all campsites. :-)

Also looking for flight tickets now... difficult finding a desent priced ticket from Holland (or close by) to budapest arriving not to late on saturday. preferably a direct flight. having one or two stops doesnt sound pleasant.

some else mentioned about the italians can only buy tickets to certain places. The French camping has DJ's on and stuff and sounds quite busy. I too just looked at the map, Seista apealed as its near the beach and the coloseum dance place, but i cant be near dance tents AND want it quiet can i?!!? :)

has any one done Glasto and Sziget, just wandered how big the sziget site is. Because walking from one side of Glasto to the other is a mission!

im looking at flights too (from UK though)....not having much luck. how come there is hardly any direct ones? looking like flying British Airways from Heathrow (i live near birmimgham!) for £240. direct flight with good flight times.

I'll try to answer to the questions.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before have been going through the threads.

Thinking about going sziget this year for the first time, as regards to camping; is it work paying the extra for camping Alternatvia / Apero (which seems to have a restaurant?) just be able to use nicer toilets/showers and for phone charging / lockers etc? which i presume will have shorter queues seeing as its only for those camping there? Would it be possible to camp else where and just buy a ticket to use their services?

Yes you can camp whenever you want and use their services.

Also is it possible to bring gazebos / canapés or something for extra shade or are the trees enough?

At some places, trees are enough but we had a gazebo (then at some point we added another one) in the middle of the "camp unknown" so yes it is possible.

Alcohol wise - do they only sell beer at the bars or do they sell cider too?? i presume they sell spirits and cocktails aswell?

Of course they don't sell only beer (~2euros for a big glass or a can). You can find anything I guess but I focused on the beer!

Is there any electricity points available in the festival for festival goers use?

We charged our phones at the showers but at some point everyone was doing that so there was no space available. There's a charging point where you leave your phone but it costs money (~2-3euros).

Thanks

As for the lockers: I've bought mine and it says on the ticket "The Guarded Lockers are available non-stop, from 8 August (10 AM) till 17 August (10 AM). The lockers are monitored with a security camera system."

And the measurements on the website: "

• Price: 25€
  • Measurements: 30 x 14.2 x 50 cm".

Finally:

has any one done Glasto and Sziget, just wandered how big the sziget site is. Because walking from one side of Glasto to the other is a mission!

Look at the map. We were camping on the area where there is a tent right under the number 28 (center-top of the map). It took us ~12 minutes to go to the showers (the ones at the top of the number 48/collosseum). and about 20minutes to the beach by walk and with the crowd.

I hope I helped!

Can anyone help me with Hotels and location.

I need a place to stay before and after the festival. im looking for budget places but i dont know what is a good location. The bridge from the festival comes out into District 3, while most hotels / hostels / B&B's seem to be in District 13, near the train station and city park.

Is this a good location to explore the city and to get to the festival? ( i understand the transport links are great.)

im thinking the earlier i can get it all booked, the cheaoper it will be.

Thanks

Edited by doobie ninja

Hello all Szitizens. Went to Sziget last year and had a great time. I'm wondering if anyone of you who have been at Sziget can recommend me some other great festivals as I probably can't come to Sziget this year. Been to Rock Werchter, great lineup (IMO) but nowhere near as fun as Sziget. Has anyone been at Roskilde or Benicassim?

Last year it sold out at the end of july I think, for the first time (and only thursday was sold-out, the other days there was still day-tickets available).

But this year it's completely different, they already have sold 4x more tickets than last year at the same period (source: Sziget France). They've sold as much ticket as they had sell last year in april...

But unlike last year, you don't have your name on the ticket so it should be easy to sell :)

Well you can camp on the island from 3 days before the festival begins with the moving in tickets. I think the tickets for the whole weekend cost 30€, so 10€ per night. Can't help for the days after the festival, I always went away on monday morning.

i thought the moving in days were just Sat & Sun? im arriving Thursday anyway and leaving Tuesday so i need to get some digs to stay at. Which has just got me thinking, when i arrive the sziget bus wont be on will it?? oh balls....have to pay for a taxi.

looking at the map most hotels seem to be over by city park. Thing is...its Aug, in a major city.....things arent cheap!