No fires...?

Guest PatientZero

Hello, hope everyone had a good Glasto.

Me, kids and OH loved it as usual and finally got round to making something in green crafts (only taken 11 years).

Anyway fires, had loads of trouble of stewards this year for lighting fires at the stages. Some really arrogant motherfucker after Mettallica had finished just walked over to our very small attended fire poured water over it without a word, covering the kids in soot and steam, as you can imagine the OH had a few chose words for them and had to be restrained these stewards claimed they were ONLY DOING THEIR JOB, and that no fires are allowed after the bands have finished.

The second incident was during the Massive attack we lit our usual small fire to keep warm and let peeps see we have children with us, stewards were straight over and said that there is no longer allowed to be fires at the stages at all, i arguued my point of DON'T BE RIDICULOUS and asked to speak to a supervisor, security were called and agreed with me there are always fire and the rules have not changed. So i thanked security who moved off. Excellent i though, 10 minutes later the stewards are back with their supervisor and say that NO FIRES ALLOWED but that because we had been given differing opinions they would allow the fire to burn out rather that putting it out but that they would have to supervise it.

Ramble over, any one else have this problem, me and the OH have been coming to glasto since the late ninties and a fire has always been part of that tradition, now it would take more that that to ruin the festival for us but NO FIRE IN THE ARENA their words not mine really does change my perspective

Thanks for reading have been lurking on this site for well over a decade and would value your opinons

Wait, so you weren't having a fire back at your camp, you were starting a fire in front of one of the stages?

Why the hell would anyone do that? In fact, why would anyone stay in front of the stage once the music is over. Surely you go and do something else or go back to camp?

How do you even start a fire there without taking firewood down to the stage specifically so you can start one after the bands have finished?

I can't get my head around why you think this is a good idea, or why you think it wouldn't be stopped by security.

Not many years ago maybe 5 or so the pyramid stage fileld would have been covered in groups of people till maybe 4 in the morning all with fires enjoying the space. Your either a newbie or blind, fires in and around the stage fields have always been a part of the festival.

or at least have been where we go, can anyone else back me up that fires have always been there although i agree fires must be appropriate to area space and crowd.

Also big lack of candle flares this year...or do they not belong anymore either

Wait, so you weren't having a fire back at your camp, you were starting a fire in front of one of the stages?

Why the hell would anyone do that? In fact, why would anyone stay in front of the stage once the music is over. Surely you go and do something else or go back to camp?

How do you even start a fire there without taking firewood down to the stage specifically so you can start one after the bands have finished?

I can't get my head around why you think this is a good idea, or why you think it wouldn't be stopped by security.

You're right Patient Zero there always used to be fires there - look at any of the old headliner footage and the crowd is dotted with fires

It's difficult now though there are simply too many people on site and the pyramid field is insanely crowded compared to 2003-9. You used to be able to sit and have a fire and have the pyramid as background up at the top - not a chance now even with the still increased capacity

So it's just not safe. Add in aggro from people getting smoke in eyes etc - again because it's very frikking busy all the time - and because of people putting litter etc on the fires and it's probably just not a good idea anymore.

I continue to pray for a 30,000 capacity decrease

Wow I'm amazed this is now banned. Though I haven't seen any fires at the main stages for ages now I think about it. As far as I can remember the big candle things were banned around 5 years ago or so.

Some of the replies here are saddening though. People need to realise there is more to the after hours entertainment than the organised fun. Fires are incredibly sociable.

You're right Patient Zero there always used to be fires there - look at any of the old headliner footage and the crowd is dotted with fires

It's difficult now though there are simply too many people on site and the pyramid field is insanely crowded compared to 2003-9. You used to be able to sit and have a fire and have the pyramid as background up at the top - not a chance now even with the still increased capacity

So it's just not safe. Add in aggro from people getting smoke in eyes etc - again because it's very frikking busy all the time - and because of people putting litter etc on the fires and it's probably just not a good idea anymore.

I continue to pray for a 30,000 capacity decrease

Just because fires in the arenas have been around for years doesn't make it a sensible or safe idea.

There are enough problems and potential accidents with f****** who insist on sitting in their chairs whilst peeps stream past the. The though that I or anyone else - a child maybe - might trip over onto a lit fire just doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm with the stewards on this one.

Wow I'm amazed this is now banned. Though I haven't seen any fires at the main stages for ages now I think about it. As far as I can remember the big candle things were banned around 5 years ago or so.

Some of the replies here are saddening though. People need to realise there is more to the after hours entertainment than the organised fun. Fires are incredibly sociable.

Just because fires in the arenas have been around for years doesn't make it a sensible or safe idea.

There are enough problems and potential accidents with f****** who insist on sitting in their chairs whilst peeps stream past the. The though that I or anyone else - a child maybe - might trip over onto a lit fire just doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by Ed209

I remember going up the tor at night in 1993 at my first glastonbury and seeing this jaw dropping sight of hundreds of campfires and this massive laser beam/ air raid light thing stretching out for miles and hearing the pumping sound sytems- it was like some massive army had camped down there in the valley. an amazing sight to behold. these days of course it's more likely to be high viz clothing clothing glowing in them thar hills

Edited by hedgepeg

Yeah, I was surprised not to see any of the flares this year, which is what made me check to see why, as I'd not noticed anyone selling them anywhere.

It seems a bit of a shame to me as I used to like seeing them nearer the back of the pyramid field before the headliners, but I guess what with the place turning into one massive seated area of camping chairs, they've had to put a stop to it. It's hazardous enough trying to make your way past the chair barricades without naked flames to contend with too I guess.

There were a couple of fires going about half-way back of Kasabian, with people throwing on camping chairs & the like, which I was surprised weren't extinguished by one of the stewards!

Yeah, I was surprised not to see any of the flares this year, which is what made me check to see why, as I'd not noticed anyone selling them anywhere.

It seems a bit of a shame to me as I used to like seeing them nearer the back of the pyramid field before the headliners, but I guess what with the place turning into one massive seated area of camping chairs, they've had to put a stop to it. It's hazardous enough trying to make your way past the chair barricades without naked flames to contend with too I guess.

There were a couple of fires going about half-way back of Kasabian, with people throwing on camping chairs & the like, which I was surprised weren't extinguished by one of the stewards!