Travel fro Luton Airport

Guest devilman

Its well close, I've never done it, but given the choice between driving for 10+ hours (as you will) and waiting a bit for a bus, theres no contest. if the buses/trains are better to stevenage, do that, then jump the shuttle from stevenage station - there loads of them. we went into and out of stevenage station every day on the first year.

I can't really be arsed with a long coach or train journey to be honest. Inverness to Luton flight is ideal but I'd either have to go rock royalty or stay off site I think. Just wondered if anyone had done it and how easy it is. I think I might well have done it when I worked Huntingdon way in 2002 time but it may well have been Hitchin too. My brain has been a bit pickled since then and a lot of journeys made :)

I live in Stevenage. The busses to the airport are very regular from the town centre and old town, so assume it's the same going the other way. I think there is very limited service on Saturday and none on Sunday, but you'd be at the festival then anyway. I believe it will cost you about £8 return on the busses, so cheaper than taxis, that will cost you £30 one way if booked in advance.

Edited by Dave

with my limited experience of stevenage (its not that big) the wetherspoons and the few pubs around there will be pretty much all you would use. its a couple of minutes walk from the station, is open for breakfasts, and stayed open a bit late the year we went.

Not camping at the festival then?

As for bars, this place does lack any decent nightlife! The town centre is awful for bars (there's a Weatherspoons and that's about it but may be good if you're hanging around for the bus to the airport) - the best place to head for is Stevenage High Street that's actually not too bad (old town - about a 10 min walk from the town centre).... I think most places shut about 12am-1am.

Gonna fly down and can't be arsed taking camping kit with me. I've never not camped before so it'll be a first. To be fair, I'm generally pretty wrecked come headliner time so a couple of beers on the way home would be all I need and it might mean that I actually see first bands. Unless it's pishing down of course in which case an extended pub session on the way in might occur.

• 2 weeks later...

devilman I totally agree with you. I went to Download a couple off years back and it pissed down ruined the whole weekend. Anyways I am looking at doing the same thing you are, but the info is really hard to find , I found a bus service by Arriva service 100. It runs from London Luton to Stevenage but the times don't seem to run late at night. Have you come up with anything yet if so let me know and likewise. Also I live in Kilmarnock but am from the Black isle.

Cheers Alex.

I've formed a loose plan. Flight in thurs, bus/taxi to Stevenage, stay in hotayul there for duration. Train Monday to Leeds, Pearl Jam tuesday night in Leeds, train home wed. I commend this plan to the house.

Hotel in Stevenage is rip off but I can't be arsed with faff of getting taxis/buses at night to other areas. It's cheaper than going rock n roll royalty though. It might well be worth getting digs down the train line to London and just doing that every day but like I said, i can't be arsed with it.

I ddi the rainy Downloads and they were ok, certainly not ruined, but then again we were campervanning it.

Well me and my mates opted for the expensive option at the premier inn in Stevenage north we got a twin room with 2 single bed with we can split the cost.

Flying down with Easyjet to Luton £35 each way very good price.It a pity there are 3 of us traveling because 1 off my mate has to stay in another hotel further away and it has terrible reviews, but as he puts it its on a bed for the night. I also found really good apps for the phone.... National Rail and Arriva bus, they give you times prices platform number etc. very handy.