Rock am Ring 2014

Guest beards

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the line-up for Rock-am-Ring this year, the one thing that's always put me off going and hence we have not been - is standing around on tarmac for 4 days - i'm not 20 anymore! What's it like? Also seems like not that many bands for 4 days? is there lot of waiting around or is there only one stage?

Has anyone been to Rock im Park? is it similar?

Any experienced Ringrockers - would be great to see what you think of it etc. Pro's / Cons. Seriously tempted as RW just doesn't seem to be our music style this year.

the lineup is far from complete, there will be more anouncements.

rock im park is exactly the same except for the location...the park is of course a little more greener and less race course.

It's germany's largest festival with 4 stages and 80.000 people approx. It's like every festival of that size. at least two bands playing at the same time, long walks between stages and tons of people.

car parks: are quite close to the camping areas, so you won't be carrying your stuff for miles.

camping spaces: the earlier you get there, the more options you'll have. Wednesday seems quite OK though.

In general: again, it's germany's largest festival with 4 stages and 80.000 people approx. do not expect to be the only person wanting to camp and park as economically as possible and it's on a humungous racetrack: you will be walking a lot, no matter what you do.

Edited by Operator

car parks: are quite close to the camping areas, so you won't be carrying your stuff for miles.

camping spaces: the earlier you get there, the more options you'll have. Wednesday seems quite OK though.

In general: again, it's germany's largest festival with 4 stages and 80.000 people approx. do not expect to be the only person wanting to camp and park as economically as possible and it's on a humungous racetrack: you will be walking a lot, no matter what you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Me and a couple of mates are heading to Rock am Ring for the first time (although we are seasoned festival goers - Download, Leeds, Latitude, and Isle of Wight all under our belts), and was hoping for a bit of help/info as we don't know much about the festival grounds.

Which footwear is best? Is it like most UK festivals where wellies/hiking boots are pretty much standard? Or is the ground a bit more forgiving?

We are travelling with Argon events so I would imagine taking loads of booze is going to cause problems getting through customs - are there any supermarkets either on site or close by to the site where we can venture out and get stocked up on arrival?

Cheers,

Nath

footwear: the stages are all on the racecourse, so it won't be too muddy there, except for the Alternastage, there's a large green bit in front pf it from left to right , reaching quite far in to the crowd so wellies there if it rains. the camping sites of course are all on grass and some are on an angle so...similar to any other festival. there are cemented paths going through the camping sites as well but just to get to the festival grounds.

beer & booze: there are supermarkets and I think there's a shuttle service running throughout the festival taking you to the next village or villages. but I've never used them at any festival. stock up as much as you can carry, take an extra ruck-sack just in case I'd say...

have fun the both of you! (and next year: southside or hurricane, miles better :) )

Edited by Operator

Cheers for the info Operator.

Are they relatively relaxed with regards to what you can bring into the site then? I know at Leeds/Reading previously they have restricted how much alcohol you can bring in, and there's the no glass rule - do you know if this the same at Rock am Ring?

Has anyone travelled with Argon before? I hope the journey has a bit of life to it, the thought of bus travel for that distance (although stress free) fills me with dread - especially coming from Manchester.

@ nathan

good question :) in general: you can bring anything you want to the campsites. and I really do mean anything. people bring trailers with hifi systems, beamers and playstations with them. seriously. beer crates, kegs and all. so don't worry about the camping site bite.

the actual festival grounds are a little bit more limited. meaning you can't take shit in. I had a camel bag with me in 2010 (small rucksack with a water pouch in it) which was OK on da 1, 2 and 3 but as of day 4 they started bitching about. I had to just use a different exit and was let in with eventually but thats really it.

apart from that: no glass, no large plastic bottles (above a litre), no chainsaws, no knives, no fireworks you get the idea...

whats very common at german festivals are drinks cartons (litre or half litre), you can normally take those with you onto the grounds without any problem but some security guys take the cap/lid/whatever off while you go through the gates.

BUT: buy a few similar cartons and take an extra lid in with you in your pocket. problem solved.

hope this helps a little, just keep asking if you need any infos. happy to help, and a few others here know even more :)

cheers and have fun.

Hey everyone!

Cannot wait for Rock am Ring 2014!

Me and my 2 friends travelled from Liverpool last year via ferry/coach from london-cologne and then got another coach straight to the festival from mondial events.

Probably going to drive down this year so any tips on driving or what day we can get there this time around would be great!!!!!

I'm willing to give some tips as well, learnt a lot last year!

People are great, crowds are the best I've seen.

In regard to B5....we were right in the middle and it was only about a 20 minute walk or less to the arena, not as bad as Leeds at all!

Thanks again operator, I'm sure I'll have plenty more to ask!

Do they do any type of safe storage? Lockers etc? I don't trust myself with my passport all weekend..

Also, what kind of prices do they charge in the supermarkets on site compared to uk festivals? Likewise the bars in the arena?

the small supermarkets or supermarkettrailers are quite reasonable. 1-2 € for a large bottle of water (1,5 litres), I think 3 or 4 € for a can of jim beam-coke and 2 € for a can of beer I think it was. but as soon as you get to the actual festival grounds it's a lot more expensive.

not sure a bout the locker bit...have to check that one.

If you can't find it when you're there, just ask anybody passing by: "eh do, vo sint dee shleesfesher" and they'll show you

Edit...yes there are lockers. a locker-truck actually. it's located at the main entrance on the left, if you look at the plan here you'll find a small lock symbol, next to the red cross sign in B2 underneath where it says "haupteingang": http://assets.rock-am-ring.com/document/file/7407/rar2014_park-und-campingpl__tze_20131213.pdf

If you can't find it when you're there, just ask anybody passing by: "eh do, vo sint dee shleesfesher bitte" and they'll show you.

the sentence means "eh you, where are the lockers". It's just written in english-german :)

and when they've shown you, just say "danke bro, here hast do ine [as in nine] beer" and give him a beer and you'll have a new friend for the weekend.

Edited by Operator

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Cannot wait for Rock am Ring 2014!

Me and my 2 friends travelled from Liverpool last year via ferry/coach from london-cologne and then got another coach straight to the festival from mondial events.

Probably going to drive down this year so any tips on driving or what day we can get there this time around would be great!!!!!

I'm willing to give some tips as well, learnt a lot last year!

People are great, crowds are the best I've seen.

In regard to B5....we were right in the middle and it was only about a 20 minute walk or less to the arena, not as bad as Leeds at all!

Pennymarkt if you head into a town is good for soft drinks, long life food, cereals etc, be warned however the beer is terrible! A lot of fuel stations also have drinks shops attached where you can get get good beer, although they are closed on Sundays:(

the small supermarkets or supermarkettrailers are quite reasonable. 1-2 € for a large bottle of water (1,5 litres), I think 3 or 4 € for a can of jim beam-coke and 2 € for a can of beer I think it was. but as soon as you get to the actual festival grounds it's a lot more expensive.