anyone play the piano?

Guest russycarps

Big difference to me is: There is only one place to play (say) a Middle C on a piano. There're more choices on a guitar.

Surely less choices should equal easier.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Oh! You Pretty Things may be a more reasonable goal?

I've always wished I could play all that discordant stuff in Alladin Sane.

Big difference to me is: There is only one place to play (say) a Middle C on a piano. There're more choices on a guitar.

Surely less choices should equal easier.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Oh! You Pretty Things may be a more reasonable goal?

I've always wished I could play all that discordant stuff in Alladin Sane.

Edited by russycarps

Totally depends how commited to the practicing you are, Russy. If you have the cash I wouldn't overlook getting a good teacher, even if its for an hour every other week. You will progress massively more quickly, a lot to do with piano playing is technique and posture, you need a teacher to help you with these things. Chances are if you try it alone you will pick up bad habits that at a certain level might work, but further down the line will hinder you being able to take the instrument further and you'll find very hard to undo. The other good thing about a teacher is it gives you the incentive to practice. I played when I was a kid, did all the grades, then gave it up as soon as got the last one. A couple of years ago I made a conscious decision to start it up again, I never found myself making the time to practice. Then I got an hours tuition every other week at £40 a pop and funnily enough I practiced a lot more. Started to progress very quickly again.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the weekly lesson part in your original post. good call. Teach yourself books/videos are usually turd

Edited by Ed209

Thanks for that.

Yeh I am definitely having lessons, for exactly the reasons you say: to eliminate getting into bad habits and as an incentive to practice. I am hoping I will be motivated enough to practice at least 2 hours per night. I am just dreading the early "being absolutely terrible" phase. I just need to push on through it.

I have bought a book of beatles songs which are really simple arrangements so playing songs I love should help, more so than the likes of twinkle twinkle little star etc! Alongside whatever my teacher gives me of course.

I am under no illusions that it will be a long hard road to fulfil my life on mars dream!

Yeah - playing stuff you enjoy is good, the "Easy to play" series are really good for that kind of thing. But I would try and do some classical. There's nothing like classical music to get your technique up to speed. Rick Wakeman (who wrote the life on mars part) is obviously classically trained. You can tell in his style and the way he performs the turns and scales in the playing.

2 hours a day is very ambitious! Fair play to you if you do that but you might lose your marbles and it end up being counter productive, especially at the beginning. I think half an hour is more reasonable, possible building to an hour when you're more comfortable.

Do you have a decent electric piano? Weighted action keys is essential

Yeah - playing stuff you enjoy is good, the "Easy to play" series are really good for that kind of thing. But I would try and do some classical. There's nothing like classical music to get your technique up to speed. Rick Wakeman (who wrote the life on mars part) is obviously classically trained. You can tell in his style and the way he performs the turns and scales in the playing.

2 hours a day is very ambitious! Fair play to you if you do that but you might lose your marbles and it end up being counter productive, especially at the beginning. I think half an hour is more reasonable, possible building to an hour when you're more comfortable.

Do you have a decent electric piano? Weighted action keys is essential

I've had great fun learning songs I'd have previoulsy not thought I had a chance of ever playing using youtube (for guitar that is)

(Life On Mars - piano lesson)

My daughter wanted to learn Blackbird before she was really able to, so we just took it almost literally, note by note. Start with the first chord, practice it, then the second, practice that, then play them one after the other until it's smooth. I know it sounds obvious, but as daunting as it seems, just like a long walk that seems too long to contemplate, one step at a time and you'll get there. Then when you've learnt it, keep on practising it until you don't have to think about it, that's when the sense of fulfilment comes in

Edited by tonyblair

• 4 months later...

Took a basic lesson from youtube last night. Learned a few of the basic chords. My technique and posture are utter shite though. My right hand/wrist was fucked after about 30 minutes.

Really enjoyed the tiny, tiny, tiny but noticeable progress I made though!

Hows Life on Mars coming along Russy?

good man!

yeh the technique hand/wrist thing is really hard. I am getting better at it but nowhere near at an acceptable level - my teacher is constantly shouting at me. It's hard to relax - wrists, shoulders, elbows...everything must be relaxed. It's hard!

I am nowhere near ready for life on mars yet believe me!

great fun though, but does get very frustrating. 30 mins at a time is about the maximum you should do I've been told. It takes insane levels of concentration for me to even do the simplest of tasks!