Going Downhill?

Guest AiiShotTheDJ

Been going to V for about 10 years and did think this years was the worst in terms of things to do away from the main stages.

The amount of stalls has declined by about 50% on a few years ago and as others have said the Strongbow tent and freebie bits of the festival have also disappeared.

I've only camped once at V but am luckily to live locally so went home each night. Glad I did as the camp sites sounded horrible. For those going in the future there are good campsites not far from Weston Park or hotels in Telford which even with a taxi to get there might be cheaper than the VIP option.

Being 40 the antics of some youngsters there made me a bit sad. Why spend all that money to get wasted when you could do that at home? Also think it affects the atmosphere at the stages as people spent more time talking and on mobiles than watching the acts. That said away from the crowds I saw some great acts on the smaller stages and enjoyed my time there.

Would like security to take more action though. As others have said why get stroppy with someone taking a bottle of water into the arena but turn a blind eye to burning tents, throwing urine and assaulting people?

We've been going to V since 2000 and always came away until 2/3 years ago feeling tired but euphoric about at least 5/6 bands!! Have seen some awesome bands, pixies, chilis, radiohead, QOTSA could go on forever but you know what I mean. It's now become tiresome having to dodge pissed kids, etc though I never seen anything like the issues above. This year was full of skanky girls with their orange arses hanging out of their shorts and chavs with vests and baseball caps with no respect for anyone. My kids are 21 and 19 and have been going to V with us and alone for the past 9 years but refused this year saying they were too embarassed and couldn't be bothered as the vibe had gone. It was never Glasto but I always felt relaxed around the site but the past 2 years it's just too staged for my liking, too fashion uniform orienated, too much damn fake tan. So it with a heavy heart that I'm saying goodbye to V, but if you ever become the indie/rock festival you used to be I will be back

It's the music. You put too much mainstream tat on and you start attracting the mainstream idiots basically.

One thing I did see was a mosh-pit at the back of Example (might have been the one previously mentioned) full of try-hard scenesters dancing about inviting people in. That's not a mosh-pit ffs, that's just a couple of dicks thinking they are hard.

Have To Agree with some of the comments here about G4S security although i do know how useless this company is as i have to deal with them at work.

But quite shocked when at the festival i won my 10 year old son a bouncy ball went out of the arena site for a beer as i couldn't be arced to queue for tokens only to be told i couldn't take it back in that was saturday.

Then on the sunday we were told we couldn't take in a bottle of water

i was let through initially without a problem then one of the morons chased me into the arena mad handled me back to the gate and made me empty it .... which i promptly did all over the twat which nearly got me ejected from the festival but i was fuming at the petty w*nker and i think if it wasn't for 15 year old daughter screaming at him to let me go i would have been gone

shame on you G4S

Hope V read these posts on sort it out

as for the camping i was lucky and opted for gold camp and didn't have an issue think key there is to camp near a lookout tower and as far away from arena as possible .. i had no problems sleeping at all.

Have To Agree with some of the comments here about G4S security although i do know how useless this company is as i have to deal with them at work.

But quite shocked when at the festival i won my 10 year old son a bouncy ball went out of the arena site for a beer as i couldn't be arced to queue for tokens only to be told i couldn't take it back in that was saturday.

Then on the sunday we were told we couldn't take in a bottle of water

i was let through initially without a problem then one of the morons chased me into the arena mad handled me back to the gate and made me empty it .... which i promptly did all over the twat which nearly got me ejected from the festival but i was fuming at the petty w*nker and i think if it wasn't for 15 year old daughter screaming at him to let me go i would have been gone

shame on you G4S

Hope V read these posts on sort it out

as for the camping i was lucky and opted for gold camp and didn't have an issue think key there is to camp near a lookout tower and as far away from arena as possible .. i had no problems sleeping at all.

I've been going to V for about the last 10 years or so, and can definately see a decline in the level of 'clientele' they attract.

Thankfully I've never really seen any horrendous incidents, but certainally noticed a higher level of drugged up people and hammered youngsters wandering around (punching each other this year seemed to be fashionable!), which is a shame.

I really enjoyed this years festival, mainly because there was a good level of 90's indie bands there which is my fave type of music - I think the only way you're going to be able to get rid of all the knobs and smack heads is to revert back to good old fashioned guitar music bands i.e. loose example and tinie temper etc (tho I did enjoy both of these acts), but that style of music does seem to attract the riff raff.

If anyone reading this is involved in organising festivals - do an indie style one, it'd sell out quickly I think and attract a more mature crowd :-)

I had a really good time this year, just me and the gf (25 and 33) and really enjoyed ourselves. Camped in green, friendly neighbours and lively campsite.

But from the people about I could see why there may have been issues, same sort of people all of you are describing really just without actually bothering us. We'll probably keep going til we have a bad experience!

At the bottom of the pit I'd say! I first went to V 5 years ago and apart from the evident corporate nature of it, we had a good time - music was good, no problems in the camp site and the vibe was fairly chilled.

Returned this year to see Stone Roses and barely recognised it. The music was good and I have to say compared to other festivals I have been to this year the sound was pretty good too. It was the complete lack of any kind of chilled vibe and the disgusting behaviour of a large proportion of the crowd that shocked not just me but my 21 year old son who has been to music festivals all over the place. Drugs being taken openly everywhere, women and men pissing in the crowd, on the walkways, by the fences alongside the toilets - just behaving like animals and not a security person in site.

Would never go again. Roll on next June when I can bask in the brilliantly chilled vibe of Glastonbury again.

Wow after reading these comments i'm glad i havent been in a few years. Went 2006 2007 & 2008 had loads of fun each year (apart from the rain every single year) but even back then, year on year it was getting more and more scallies and less of a good vibe. For me though the music is the big cause of this, i know its always had its pop acts and more of a general type of music but it was once more indie/rock based with a few acts of pop inbetween but the last few years it is half wireless and half V of old which means you inevitably attract more d!ckheads, not saying everyone who enjoys radio 1 is a d1ckhead but you get what i mean, i well i hope.

going Bestival this year and cant wait, after reading reviews and my girlfriend went last year and everything about it sounds right, mainly because it is organised correctly not just left to a bunch of jobsworth who cant be arsed doing their jobs properly

I must be walking around with my eyes shut, because I have not noticed it getting worse. There has always been a certain sizable proportion of the crowd that get absolutely paraletic and behave like complete morons. I hadn't noticed that being worse this year? In fact, I think I've noticed them more in previous years?

My wife and I (we're 35 and 41) have been to V the last 12 years in a row. The first two at Hylands and Weston since then.

We do tend to stay toward the back of the crowd at any stage (but close enough for a good view). Maybe that's why I haven't seen the problems others have mentioned near the mosh pit for Example, for instance?

We learnt within the first couple of years not camp anywhere near the front of red camp because most of the people who get absolutely battered and behave like morons camp as close to the arena entrance as possible. Most years since, we've been lucky and picked spots near people who have been reasonably behaved and fairly neighbourly. Camped further away from the worst areas of the campsites, I didn't notice any worse behaviour than in previous years, where we were.

I actually really enjoyed the line-up this year. I like most genres of music and enjoyed everything from Aussie Floyd to Rizzle Kicks, to Rodrigo y Gabriella, to Tom Jones, to Noel Gallager. I do agree that the music is getting more mainstream , but I don't mind that, provided those acts can actually perform properly live (no backing tracks). So far they have been, with the exception of Eminem last year, who was clearly, not quite live. I wasn't impressed.

Is the music attracting undesirable people and driving long standing V-goers away? It seems so, from what people are saying. I'm not so sure. There seems to be a lot of people going to V, who think having a good comes before the music. I'm not sure they'll be deterred by a reduction of mainstream acts.

I didn't see anyone peeing where they shouldn't (apart from against the arena fence walls). However, I did notice that the arena toilets were cleaner and nowhere near as full as previous years. Perhaps what you guys are saying is true and that's why they weren't full?! I hope not.

We did have one concerning issue last year on the sunday night, in yellow camp. Several groups of idiots were using their BBQs to get a campfire going. No-one in security appeared to be serious about putting them out. Even the police had a word with one group and still failed to make them put the fire out. Normally we stay the sunday night and leave in the morning. Not that night! We packed up and left.

• 1 month later...

I feel exactly the same, I had murder with some guy at the main stage this year because he was repeatedly pissing into a cup and lashing it into the crowd then him and all his mates just stood there laughing as if it was ded funny! and he wasn't even a kid, he was about 30!! Im only 25 and felt old before my time at V this year, so as a result were going to Glasto instead, I hope to God its OK there! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I feel exactly the same, I had murder with some guy at the main stage this year because he was repeatedly pissing into a cup and lashing it into the crowd then him and all his mates just stood there laughing as if it was ded funny! and he wasn't even a kid, he was about 30!! Im only 25 and felt old before my time at V this year, so as a result were going to Glasto instead, I hope to God its OK there! smile.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...