Going alone

Guest Fred Zepplin

A month ago I had decided not to go to any festivals this year as my friends want to have a year off and save up some money, a sentiment I thought sounded good so had decided to follow.

However, with Bestivals announcements I bought a ticket thinking a festival by myself won't be to expensive as i'm bound to drink less and generally be a bit more chilled out.

Now with the Bella union day at EOTR festival I am considering going here as well. I will try and convince someone to come with me but at the minute it looks like I would be going by myself.

Has anyone done the festival on there own? what was it like?

Hi Fred,

There's a group of people from this forum who meet up each year - when we started, we were all going either alone or in couples. All welcome to join, there'll be more information posted closer to the day.

But if you didn't want to do that, I'd say EoTR is a good festival to go solo. It's pretty relaxed and people are easy to talk to, even for someone like me who isn't particularly outgoing.

So basically, if you like the music, you should go, and not worry about being on your own :)

Hey there,

I've had a lot of friends coming along on their own... I know that you'll say... "but they know me"... but as I'm totally rushed off my feet all the time, they hardly ever get to see me, so it pretty much is like going on their own... and all of them have had a really good time despite being on their own, and have even made a lot of new friends.

One way of teaming up with a few people is to join our lift share scheme, and make your travels to the festival cheaper and more environmentally friendly (if you were going planning to go in a car on your own, of course the best alternative is cycling and the second best is train/bus). :)

Liftshare scheme: http://www.liftshare.com/content/default.asp?sid=1412&sid2=2088&skin=238&lang=EN&country=GB

Each year we've managed to team up hundreds of people to share a car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sofia

I have been twice, both times on my own and had a fabby time both years. You end up having loads of random conversations anyway, and you see what you want when you want (although the drinking less is probably slightly marginal).

I fully intended meeting up with the group that IJ refers to above, for both years, but never properly managed it (only partially managed it last year, and I'd endorse that all that I met were really great) because there is so much to do and everyone is just so eotr easy going.

Go for it, you won't regret it (and you'll regret not going).

(Also very happy to pm you a mobile number if you want someone "in your back pocket" to have a beer with if at a loose end).

Not been on my own, but know every year there is a thread abit like this, and every year lots of people say 'go for it', along with the Efests loners camp details. I'm sure there are probably a few threads about it somewhere if you have a search back through the years. Everyone always seems to say they have an ace time, and my own experiences of EOTR would lead me to believe there are few better fests you could go to solo.

There is a facebook group for those of us that are (or were once) going alone. search for "end of the road - happy campers"!

All welcome, details will also be posted on here nearer the time. It's a fabulous way to do a festival - you can saunter off on your own any time - but you can have company any time you want too. We a reasonably friendly bunch - few of us bite and those that do are mostly stewards ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Age 51, I went alone to EOTR last year, my first festival in eons. It was fabulous! I camped with the folks from here and that was a nice base, being able to have a chat back at the tent in the morning and night, although I also picked up new friends around the place as the weekend progressed. One benefit of going solo is there are no compromises in your iterary. You see the bands you want to see. If you're of fan of someone, get to the front of a stage early, as soon as the previous bunch finish. With half an hour to kill, people are friendly and talkative, and you'll be among like minds.

As for a quiet meal away from the fray, I favour taking some food and drink into the film tent.

this will be my fourth time on my own at EOTR but i've never felt like i'm on my own really... so many wonderful and random people to talk to esp around the piano stage my fav bit of the festival...i tend to travel to festivals on my own and heading to No Direction Home too...i still have loads of fun at them....

I don't see much of a difference between getting there on Thursday and Friday.

The last two years they've had a smaller stage open on Thursday evening with a few bands playing: Herman Dune, Allo Darlin', Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, a few others. So it can be worth getting down for that ,and to get a better camping spot. But even if you turn up on Friday, it's not like you'll get a bad camping spot, you'll just be a couple of minutes further away from the festival site.

• 1 month later...

A month ago I had decided not to go to any festivals this year as my friends want to have a year off and save up some money, a sentiment I thought sounded good so had decided to follow.

However, with Bestivals announcements I bought a ticket thinking a festival by myself won't be to expensive as i'm bound to drink less and generally be a bit more chilled out.

Now with the Bella union day at EOTR festival I am considering going here as well. I will try and convince someone to come with me but at the minute it looks like I would be going by myself.

Has anyone done the festival on there own? what was it like?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in the "go on my own but meet up with the crowd mentioned above" brigade. And I was also a latecomer to festivals - now in my sixties and started going in my late fifties. It's nice to recognise people from year to year and have familiar faces nearby. Yes, there are parts of the day/evening when I spend more time alone and with nothing much to do than I would wish to, as opposed to just killing time, but it's clearly not un-do-able or I wouldn't keep going back !

• 3 months later...

I have friends driving down on the Friday but have this week off work so thinking about coming down on Thursday, and seeing the comments about about being on your own not being a barrier, the fact that there are bands on the Thrusday and the festival sounds really friendly - i think am going to dive in. Sounds like a obvious question, but want time is it best to arrive in order to pitch a tent before the sun goes down etc...