Album Reviews

Guest perfectpassion

I thought it might be nice to have informed discussion about albums, not just best albums of the year, I like to read what other people think as I always seem to find another band that I have yet to listen to...

I should have posted The Miserable Rich in here as I got to have a sneaky listen of the promo

well the GANGLIANS played here yesterday, and I got their new album "still living", as well as their first ep, because they were so great. they have this lo-fi-beach boys meet punky fleet foxes type of aproach. ;) the record starts of great, but some attempts on being "funky" (?) dont really hit the mark. all in all, I think their last album ("monster head room") might have been better. Then again the new one might be a grower. It got a terrible review in an influential german magazine and only a 6.9 at pitchfork. I think the album is better than that. still my advice, re: ganglians:

1.) chance to see them live? GO!

2.) which album to get? start of with "monster head room"

3.) anything else? there is a 7" on captured tracks that has their two best songs on it, also included as bonus tracks on "MHR". if you dont wanna spend money on the album, get the 7"!

now back to work...

Edited by langerabend

that's a great start langerabend, and has made me think twice before posting what i was going to!

mind you, it also made me realise that i too had seen that sub 7 score on p4k and decided not to bother streaming monster headroom. now i might, thankyou.

it's not exactly new at all, but the album i have had on rotation most for the past couple of weeks is micah's 'and the pioneer saboteurs'. probably not unfamiliar to almost all of you, i couldn't resist it any longer from the EOTR rough trade stall, having only picked at it a little beforehand.

anyway having lived with it now for a month, after first being a bit indifferent, i think it is majestic. the lyrics are, well pure micah, but the sound themes are just stunning (to me), particularly listening right through when you get the sense of this developing relationship - the first track all sweet instrumental strings, with it's counterpoint at the end where wall of noise chaos and breakdown of returning eventually reverts to melody. a superb creation (despite DiS only giving it 7).

it's not exactly new at all, but the album i have had on rotation most for the past couple of weeks is micah's 'and the pioneer saboteurs'. probably not unfamiliar to almost all of you, i couldn't resist it any longer from the EOTR rough trade stall, having only picked at it a little beforehand. anyway having lived with it now for a month, after first being a bit indifferent, i think it is majestic. the lyrics are, well pure micah, but the sound themes are just stunning (to me), particularly listening right through when you get the sense of this developing relationship - the first track all sweet instrumental strings, with it's counterpoint at the end where wall of noise chaos and breakdown of returning eventually reverts to melody. a superb creation (despite DiS only giving it 7).

Edited by baroquepop

This just shows how little I know and how much I appreciate your suggestions.... I got the Micah & PS this morning thanks RL and although I have heard of Ganglians I havent listened to them yet...Thanks Lagerabend!!

Also BP I am still struggling with St Vincent after everyone raved about it, will check out your other suggestions....

Favourite album of the last howeverlong is June Tabor and The Oysterband's magnificent "Ragged Kingdom". Tabor's voice has always been stunning, and I came across her collaboration with the Oysterband after finding a video of them performing "Love will tear us apart" on YouTube. I noticed that this album contained a studio version of this so thought I'd give it a punt.

Which was a good decision. The album is stunning. "LWTUA" is reinvented as a beautiful folk song, with Tabor and John Jones taking alternate verses. It's everything the song should be and more. Highlight for me, though is track 3: "Son David". Based on an an obscure folk song from lowland Europe, it's a tale of fratricide and redemption and is simply exquisitely handled by both singers while the band provide a surprisingly muscular bedrock. Folk music can so often be wound up in its own authenticity, but this album has no truck with that - although the accapella lament "(When I was no but) Sweet Sixteen" adheres to relatively traditional mores and is all the better for it. It's the consistent energy of the playing and performances which impress here, although the closing "Dark end of the street" is in my view severely misjudged and the only misfire on what's otherwise a very nearly perfect album.

My Brightest Diamond - All Things Will Unwind - The follow-up to George Harrison's similarly named album of 40 years ago (joking!). Anyway, it's pretty good - baroque pop for sure with the primary backing from a string and wind ensemble. Gorgeous and brilliant sections of music are constantly jumping out at the listener. Finally Shara finds her niche and it's utterly charming. I've been playing this lots!

Writing intelligent album reviews without resorting to obvious comparisons and track record is tricky, particularly in the case of Jonathan Wilson and "Gentle Spirit", which was recommended on this forum and which I'm enjoying a lot. If you can get past the apallingly naff cover art, this is a richly textured gem, and the title track worth the price alone. The sound can be a bit too retro at times (not quite Lenny Kravitz !), but the voice and tunes compensate. I'd have like to watch him with Wilco, whose new LP is of similar quality, but ticket prices seem a bit steep.

Writing intelligent album reviews without resorting to obvious comparisons and track record is tricky, particularly in the case of Jonathan Wilson and "Gentle Spirit", which was recommended on this forum and which I'm enjoying a lot. If you can get past the apallingly naff cover art, this is a richly textured gem, and the title track worth the price alone. The sound can be a bit too retro at times (not quite Lenny Kravitz !), but the voice and tunes compensate. I'd have like to watch him with Wilco, whose new LP is of similar quality, but ticket prices seem a bit steep.

yes, it's a great album isn't it - I love the retro feel to some of the tracks. I particularly like the track 'desert raven' which makes me wish I'd invested in a better sound system, or maybe I should just get some decent headphones ;)

I agree the ticket price for the Wilco gigs is a bit high but I think it'll be worth it - I'm just hoping the Roundhouse isn't full of folks just there to see Wilco who are going to chat through Jonathan's set. I may have to take a sharp implement with me! Jonathan's also doing a gig at Hoxton Bar on the 21st November and appearing as one of Roy Harper's guests at the Royal Festival Hall earlier in the month.

Deer Tick's new album Divine Providence is gr8 fun. They have done a Rock'N'Roll album and what a gr8 fun album. Songs about getting drunk and fooling around. Should b an amazing live experience so EOTR hope u r reading. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spin.com%2Farticles%2Ffirst-spin-hear-deer-ticks-divine-providence-lp%3Futm_source%3Dspinfacebook%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dspinfacebook&h=vAQCrQWAUAQAhApRAEerWmUzsWTvLGEAMePZudumWx7dAPw