We're not at Glasto!

Guest squeeam

Seeing the thread “Anyone else not going to Glasto” and how many people are feeling a bit miserable at not being there I thought we could share what we were doing at that particular time of the day at Glasto’s gone by. So which bar we were in, what band we were seeing, what queue we were in etc. This isn’t to torture ourselves, it’s to relive those great memories from the past.

Think of it as therapy.

Myself, last year I awoke at about 10.30am to baking sunshine and decided I was going to try to cook for the first time with a stove as it was my first time camping at my first Glastonbury. My friends, who were seasoned campers, spent most of the time pi**ing themselves laughing at my attempts to cook my sausages in beans on my stove on very uneven ground. I gave up and went to the burger bar.

C’mon people, we can get through this together!

Have been ill since last weekend so we have sold out to neighbours who look a bit like us- tickets tent and all. As it's a re-occurrence of a previous condition I knew I couldn't take a chance. GUTTED! And no glasto next year.

Girlfriend has stayed behind bless her. She's hosed down our waterproofs and wellies so we can dress up to watch it on TV! Considered no flushing the bog for the weekend to get the full glasto feel, but got over ruled.

Normally at this time on a Thursday night I'd be somewhere down in the Dance Village, near the Pussy Parlure probably, getting battered with my friends. This year I'm sat in front of my laptop trying not to look at the webcam, or look at the text messages that are popping up from my friends on site. <sigh>.

Im opting for sitting at home with a large amount of drink :)

This time last year i was at the Borthers Bar after gettin fed up waiting for Boy George to make an apperance in the Dance Tent (i think) Was amused by some of the chants to get him onto the stage, my favorite being "come on ya big POOF" and the 2 very young girls who asked who was coming on stage, when we told them who it was they both squealed with excitement before turning to eachother as asking who the hell is Boy George :D.

But after waiting for almost an hour decided to have a wander with the 2 very nice starngers i travelled with. we ended up at the Brothers Bar and soaked up the atmospher till it was time to stagger back to our tents.

Ive stocked up on Brothers Cider and intend to sit glued to the TV all weekend :D

I'm in California, so trying to work out the time difference has me a bit puzzled.

But last year on Thursday afternoon I was in the Pyramid field watching the football match and seeing Hobo Jone and the Junkyard Dogs. After that was a nIce walk with some eFesters to the Acoustic, Circus, west Holts and Avalon areas....wonderful afternoon & wonderful memories.

Had a terrible night - clean and in a comfy bed!!!

Missing it hugely - we are already planning 2013 :

- will save like mad to get a camper van so I can go even if a bit icky

- we are discussing what special thing we will both do - I intend to go naked for the whole thing unless it's blisteringly sunny - did it a bit the first tine I went with my girlfriend but she was a bit embarrassed so stopped - she agrees now she was wrong - so it'll be just me in the raw, other than my trusty wellies of course

- girlfriend is considering her options ...

Edited by so_wot

Around this time last year I phoned home to speak to my 4 year old son. Rolf Harris was on the Pyramid Stage and just as I was about to speak to him Rolf broke into Two Little Boys. Something inside me cracked and I could barely speak to him because I was choking up and trying to keep it together. I could then hear him say to my wife "Daddy's not speaking, I think he's eating something".

Eventually I pulled myself together and "manned up" a bit but this shows the power of Glasto. And Rolf!

PS I wouldn't mind but I only have one little boy!

07 - Larging it to Subgiant in the dance tents

05 - Larging it to Shpongle in the Glade.

Any others too long ago and I only remember the above 2 as they were the first things we saw and were very memorable..

..this time next week tho....Herd em up!!!! ooooooooh I can't wait!!!

Edited by Flip

This time last year - midday Friday, I had just taken a mate up to the top of the viewing area, as he hadn't been since 2004 and the Park was all new to him. We were sat in the sun drinking warm bitter out of cans and having a smoke, looking at the sun dappled hordes milling around below, and pontificating on whether there was anywhere better on Earth to be at that moment in time.

OK, we're rolling now.

This time last year, after applying plenty of sun cream, we made our way over the to The Other stage to watch The Stranglers. After about 5 mins we thought "Blimey, The Stranglers are really embracing this mellow Glastonbury vibe" as they appeared to be playing an acoustic set although I couldn't make out who was singing.

Turned out that they'd moved The Stranglers round with the guy on stage, whose name, and act, completely escapes me.

The Stranglers were superb when they were on though and I do remember seeing two ladies who were probably in their sixties bopping about and commenting to my friend about the tremendouus age range at Glasto. But then I thought they were probably about when The Stranglers first started!

I also recall seeing a tractor pulling a trailer with some guys dressed as the Village People. What is odd at first at Glastonbury very soon becomes the norm.

It’s 2010 at 3pm ish and we’ve chanced upon the Pussy Parlure. The layout was absolutely superb and could have been a drinking/dancing establishment anywhere.

We got there as the Feeling Gloomy chaps were doing their DJ set. I’d not seen or heard of them before so at first I didn’t understand the concept. Basically it was playing all those tunes you think are a bit miserable but are corkers none the less. So we heard The Smiths, The Specials, ABBA (S.O.S. very sad) and many more.

Also, it turned out one of the DJ’s lived a couple of miles down the road from me. I got a t-shirt off him with “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” on it and slipped the small garment on my medium to large frame looking like Mr Incredible but in the first 20 mins of the film, not when he’d buffedup.

Drank more than I should have and went on to one of the tents in the Dance Village where Roger Sanchez was doing a set. Disappointing!

I was at almost all of the festivals at Pilton from 1971 until the mid 1990s. I knew Glastonbury before the festival as a quiet market town. It did, however, feature "No Hippies" signs on most of the pubs and cafes, but most of the people were very friendly and the 'hippies' were real and very pleasant intelligent people. After the 1971 festival people will have you believe nothing happened until about 1978. Actually, in 1972 and 73 people hung out on the Tor and down Cinnamon Lane. Music, etc. Thereafter there was a free festival on nearby Street Hill. When the Pilton festival re-started it was free again (I think) and then about £5 or so... going up by the year thereafter. I worked there for many years and it went through many changes. There used to be a bar next to the main stage - impossible now of course. The bar behind main stage was quite good for a while, but became like everywhere else quite quickly. Behind Theatre was the famous Green Room, which was for several years the place to be with live music, food and arguably the best bar on the site. I still think 1971 was the best.

Watching U2 now but thinking of Gorillaz. I was disappointed when U2 had to pull out but really chuffed when Gorillaz were announced as replacements. Fancy dress for us that night was flourescent! Loved the albums especially Platic Beach. But something wasn't quite right and I could see people around me slowly drifting away until it became the norm and it was rapidly getting emptier. I felt sorry for Damon Albarn as I think he is always trying something new but no interaction, no Glastonbury.

Best bit was a girl behind me asking her friend if it was Postman Pat on stage when it was Lou Reed!