terry reid,dont miss this guy

Guest fullalove

We saw him on the JazzWorld a few years back. We weren't sure what to expect as it'd had been quite some time since his 'heyday'.

However, we all left thoroughly impressed. Definitely the surprise find of that year. If you can call him a 'find'.

Lee Perry and Terry Reid are on in nearby areas aren't they? Might swing through them two.

Saw Terry Reid at ATP last May. He was one of the highlights. I had never heard him before. Will defo pass by to catch at least some of his set at Glasto.

Edited by fnchy77

that's good to hear.

I'll try and catch him this year....

As long as he's all that he was, he's very much worth seeing. I checked him out on Jazzworld knowing nothing of his music but having read up a little on him, and I was so impressed that I decided to also go and see his second show that year in the Avalon tent - which was just as good, but in a different and more relaxed way.

I wonder if Led Zep would have been even bigger if he'd taken the job of vocalist himself rather than pass and recommend an unknown singer from Wolverhampton instead of him? I can't believe they'd have been any less successful.

"There are only three things happening in London: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Terry Reid." - Aretha Franklin, 1968.

The best thing, for me, was discovering a relatively obscure British talent. Like Bill Fay etal, there's no reason Terry should be obscure, but he seems to have been overlooked throughout a lot of his career. Such a shame too.

Guest blackcockerel

Yeah I remember 05 was hyped as his big return and that he'd been out of the music game for a while.

I also remember it as being one of the few places we'd found on site with any grass left.

Edited by blackcockerel

I think he decided to not pursue his solo career for a good few years. It wasn't until 2005 that he has had a kind of 'comeback'.

Nah, it's not quite that.

He's been living in LA, and playing at a club there on a regular basis. His return to gigging in the UK is the result of someone from Glastonbury Town going on holiday to LA and seeing him at that club, and then bumping into Michael Eavis a few weeks later and saying "you should get Terry Reid back to Glastonbury" (Reid played at one of the very early Glasto's).

The guy involved mailed me about it at the time, and I wrote it up a story on here:-

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/05/050314b.shtml

It was being sent that story which triggered my interest in Reid and had me check him out.

I don't know anything about Terry Reid other than the bio i've just read on spotify. I'll give him a listen.

If it's a decent bio, that alone should have hopefully convinced you that he's worth checking out.

I've still not listened to him on record, so I've no idea how that might sound. But any unknown (to me) act that can get me to go and see him twice at the same fest has got to be pretty damned special.

If it's a decent bio, that alone should have hopefully convinced you that he's worth checking out.

I've still not listened to him on record, so I've no idea how that might sound. But any unknown (to me) act that can get me to go and see him twice at the same fest has got to be pretty damned special.