The Leisure Society & Sarahbeth Tucek

Guest perfectpassion

:lol: Wishful thinking on your part that it was just a day nearer to the next announcement..... :)

The Union Chapel is probably my favourite venue ever, apart from the constat stream of people walking along the left-hand side to go to the bar/loo/for a fag. So we had a burger at Weatherspoons first and then got there in time to get seats in the third row on the right hand side with a brilliant view.

Sarahbeth Tucek cam on and played with a hairy guitarist, some of her songs I recognised, some were new. Its a good venue for a female singer with a great clarity of sound. She was impressive, but she didn't really say anything and I got a bit bored and distracted by the people in front eating, drinking, writing notes and playing with their phones. It reminded me of Bens rant, hardly anyone "listens" to music its just background to all the other things they are doing like texting their mates.

The Leisure Society have grown in the year and a half since I first saw them, they came on with a roar, more confidant, the new material is exciting, and the album is less angst and a bit more upbeat. They played a good mix of old and new. It was the kind of gig that gives you a readybrek glow.... beautiful songs, in a wonderful setting. They got a standing ovation, AND ITS ABOUT TIME TOO.

Pleased they were on form. I'll be seeing them twice this year (at EOTR and the Hop Farm Festival) and was still gutted to be able to go along last night. Like you, the Union Chapel is one of my favourite venues as well. Loved it ever since I saw Belle & Sebastian there many, many years ago.

Are they still playing their Cars cover or have they ditched that now? Last time I saw them (at a tiny arts centre in Canterbury) they played it on request but claimed to have forgotten the words. Cue some weird stalker-y bloke handing them a piece of paper with the lyrics that he'd clearly stolen from a previous show and decided to carry around with him.

I love the new album and The Sleeper was one of my very favourites in 2009. Fantastic band.

They Covered Paul Simon "Me and Julio Down by the schoolyard"

The Sleeper is also one of my favourite albums, I love the production on it, you can hear every note of every instrument so clearly, I waited until the gig to buy the vinyl for Murky Water and will give it a proper listen later (I do hate having to break the plastic seal :O )

On R6 the night before they said that they had something "big" coming up but were unable to say anything about it yet, but it involves someone that Nick admires, I have no idea what this is but know that Brian Eno is a big fan.

I sold my spare ticket back to the box office, which seeing as I had bought two from ebay for the pricely sum of £5.60 including postage was a bit of a result!!!

Oh and Gordie the band were nicely dressed and Helen was wearing a lovely pleated cream dress.

Oooh, nice cover! I'd like to hear that. I've got two copies of The Sleeper now, as I had to buy the special edition with the extra tracks. Haven't actually purchased Murky Water yet, just played it on Spotify, but I get paid next Friday. It's getting well and truly purchased then, along with the new Okkervil River.

I have 3 copies! If you include the vinyl lol..... oh and the bag. OR is also next on my wish list. My problem is that we have a guy selling promos at the local car boot sale. If I buy an album the next week he will have a copy for £4. He has a lot of EOTR type music, last week I got Papercuts,(miss them pulling out this year) if there is anything you want me to keep any eye out for let me know. Announcing OR on monday would really make me happy, but I doubt it somehow.

OH BTW The Rough Trade version of Murky water includes 6 extra tracks, last night they were only selling the normal version!

Edited by perfectpassion

Really? Didn't know that. Best buy it from Rough Trade then.

Yeah, I can't see Monday's announcement featuring any BIG names. The comments on Facebook make me laugh, with people asking for The Low Anthem, Fleet Foxes and Decemberists. Do they honestly think there's room on the bill for artists of that size? Especially one who headlined two years ago and one who is already headlining Green Man.

So yeah, it'll probably be the remainder of the Local acts, but it'll still be good stuff.

After I posted I wondered if I should also get the cd (sigh). I also was wondering if I should get The Climbers, which I have only recently realised they (Nick & Christian) did last year with Tim West. It also features DM&TC and Alessi and others.... has anyone listened to it?

And in replying to the above Shoebox, I was looking at Molesley which is on at the same time this year, as there is obviously a crossover of bands. I wouldn't be suprised to see Villagers announced, but I am really hoping it will be Mariners Children as have the cd but not seen yet.

Edited by perfectpassion

I *think* I've listened to that Climbers album, but it was only the once if I did. Seem to remember reading about and being intrigued, but not really giving it any time.

It's on WE7, which I can stream at work, so I might give it a spin this afternoon.

If we are going to get any mid-size bands announced on Monday, I'm hoping that Yuck get called back. They were awesome last year, and are playing Bestival so are in the area.

Hmm, who else is at Bestival that could potentially play? Esben & The Witch, King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, Noah & The Whale, possibly?

If we are going to get any mid-size bands announced on Monday, I'm hoping that Yuck get called back. They were awesome last year, and are playing Bestival so are in the area.

Hmm, who else is at Bestival that could potentially play? Esben & The Witch, King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, Noah & The Whale, possibly?

A secret Cure unplugged set in the woods? They did one of my favourite ever MTV Unpluggeds, but yeah, I'm being silly now.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Dorcia and Milk & Rectangles in the unsigned slots tomorrow and who knows what Monday could bring.

I had a look at who's been playing The Local recently to see if it'll give any clues as to who else they might put on. David Thomas Broughton seems to be their house artist at the moment and Buke And Gass would fit well. Saw them supporting The National last year.