The Order of Things......

Guest worm

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in a blank slate because I do not believe that we are born with knowledge.

What I'm saying is that sensation comes before the person. The experience comes before everything.

then they're not a blank canvas and you're talking gibberish.

You have nothing sensible to say. You're talking worthless and contradictory bollocks. I'm done.

Edited by eFestivals

Yes they are. They're just not a person yet. They're an experience.

A "blank canvas" is a synonym for "nothing", zero, zilch, an empty vessel.

An "experience" is something, not nothing.

Nothing can be both at once. You're talking gibberish. You have nothing sensible to say.

You're talking worthless and contradictory bollocks.

You know old Locke also had a theory that when the Tabula Rasa was full....it was full, you couldn't cram any more knowledge in there. Some individual's Tabula Rasa's were bigger than others and could hold more....some couldn't hold very much at all.

Edited by worm

I'm not trying to extol Lockean theories of cognition, nor am I very fond of his theories of political autonomy for that matter. I was just providing that particular quote because it sums it up very well.

It doesn't actually say anything about innate knowledge, it points out that if there is then it is unknowable without a cultural phrasing. Being innately evil in one culture may be seen as good so you'll have to be innately good to be evil - resulting in nonsense. It's actually very Miltonesque/Shakespearean.

how does that fit with discovering parts of the universe, and what it's made of, by instruments that measure things that we have no knowledge of (without such instruments)?

we can't see infra-red but we accept that it's there....

No, you're just asking irrelevant questions.

No I'm not. :rolleyes:

I'm asking for definitions, without which it's not possible to have any sensible discussion.

"no knowledge" is nothing, a void, an empty space, a blank canvas yet to be painted - yes?

So, "a person yet to be activated" - a person devoid of all experiences, a person yet to have any sensations, a person at the point before they come into existence, a person about to be born (or at least, before any awareness, whenever that awareness might start) - is in that state of no knowledge. Yes?