Green Man 2011, EOTR 2009

Guest bennyhana22

So Explosions in the Sky are headlining GM2011 with Fleet Foxes already announced.

What are the chances of The Hold Steady getting the Sunday berth and it being deja vu all over again?!

There's a a bit of the jealous EITS obsessive in me that rather hopes they will get The Hold Steady. That'll teach 'em! Good job I'm seeing Explosions in May.

Right, that's it. I'm OFFICIALLY ready for another EOTR announcement now. As long as it's sometime today, I won't need to get cross.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Can't see it being for another couple of weeks unfortunately. They said 5-6 weeks after the last one. It'll be four weeks this Thursday.

The only one in that Green Man announcement that made me jealous was Holy Fúck. They could play that slot that Caribou filled last year. Bring some beats to proceedings.

Oh, and continuing the festival announcement theme - the line-up for this year's V Festival is, purely from my perspective you understand, absolutely SHOCKING. I've been to 3 V's as a day goer and had a great time (Super Furries, Supergrass in their pomp, Elbow, Doves, Muse etc) but this line-up is abominable! It is totally PERFECT for my 13 year old who I am desparately trying to influence away from mainstream pap (much more success with my 11 and particularly my cool 9 year old: huge BRAKES fan!) with little progress made. It's not just the odd act that disinterests, it's almost ALL of it! I am just getting too old for this sh*t, it seems.

Ben

Hehe! That V line-up is beyond awful. I would always go and see Primal Scream and I might be persuaded to see Duran Duran, but every single other artist on that bill is, in my opinion, utter, utter shit!

I went once for the day (Chelmsford) when Blur headlined in 199something. I was excited because Teenage Fanclub and Pavement were lower down the bill. But the car overheated at the Dartford Tunnel and we missed them both. Got there in time to see Terrorvision take to the stage (I hate Terrorvision!) and then caught Kula Shaker and Dodgy. Hmmm....Blur were bloody great though.

Hehe! That V line-up is beyond awful. I would always go and see Primal Scream and I might be persuaded to see Duran Duran, but every single other artist on that bill is, in my opinion, utter, utter shit!

I went once for the day (Chelmsford) when Blur headlined in 199something. I was excited because Teenage Fanclub and Pavement were lower down the bill. But the car overheated at the Dartford Tunnel and we missed them both. Got there in time to see Terrorvision take to the stage (I hate Terrorvision!) and then caught Kula Shaker and Dodgy. Hmmm....Blur were bloody great though.

The Low Anthem are always welcome, but you can't blame them for not making it three years in a row.

Everyone just seen the Tweets about a proper comedy tent being there this year? 9 hours of comedy a day. That's a pretty big change. I wonder where it will live? There's also loads more workshop areas as well.

I can't do it. I just can't. Dissing The Hold Steady is like picking at a hangnail for me! I just get flashback memories from '09. Walked out of the Big Top after a quasi-religious experience with Richmond Fontaine, only to stumble into the Garden and find a novelty Elvis Costello in a fatsuit, talking at high speed to an incongruously receptive crowd!

You see? There I go again! I can't help myself.

*note to self - you LOVE EOTR and you LOVE everyone that goes there, because they like music as you do and they understand. Stop being an idiothole.*

Ben

I must say I'm with Wackojacko on this one, I really enjoyed them at eotr and also at Southampton last month.

Speaking of which, appologies for not replying to your pm before that gig. I had fully intended to do so but didn't know what our plans were until the day of the gig as I was meeting up with mates coming from all over the place. And by then I'd forgotten :(

I thought they were great. Wintersleep were brilliant also. The only downside was the "bar" situation, if you can call it that. £3 for a can of fosters froth is a piss take.

Oh, and continuing the festival announcement theme - the line-up for this year's V Festival is, purely from my perspective you understand, absolutely SHOCKING. I've been to 3 V's as a day goer and had a great time (Super Furries, Supergrass in their pomp, Elbow, Doves, Muse etc) but this line-up is abominable! It is totally PERFECT for my 13 year old who I am desparately trying to influence away from mainstream pap (much more success with my 11 and particularly my cool 9 year old: huge BRAKES fan!) with little progress made. It's not just the odd act that disinterests, it's almost ALL of it! I am just getting too old for this sh*t, it seems.

Ben

So Explosions in the Sky are headlining GM2011 with Fleet Foxes already announced.

What are the chances of The Hold Steady getting the Sunday berth and it being deja vu all over again?!

There's a a bit of the jealous EITS obsessive in me that rather hopes they will get The Hold Steady. That'll teach 'em! Good job I'm seeing Explosions in May.

Right, that's it. I'm OFFICIALLY ready for another EOTR announcement now. As long as it's sometime today, I won't need to get cross.

Ben

So I showed young George Ben-Junior the V Festival line-up 10 minutes ago. He could hardly speak, it was so utterly fabulous to him! It's on his birthday (14) and the day after we get back from family holiday. I said no! Lots of reasonable reasons (so I'm telling myself...) not least of all that although I love his passion for music and want desperately to encourage him, he's a 'young'-ish 13 and there's no way I could let him go to V on his own yet. And I'm not bloody going to a line-up like THAT! I hope I'm not too awful a selfish parent...

He's gone to his room to play on his XBox and tell the world how utterly terrible his Dad is...

Ben