The Wickerman Festival 2011

Guest Guy Rope Tripper

To be honest I think it'll happen, but to leave it so late is beyond belief, as some folk may now make alternative plans, if they haven't already done so, due to the uninspiring acts already announced.

The organisers need to realise that although they may have been popular over the last few years, that doesn't mean that folk won't plan to go to other festivals, should they not have decent bands or leave it until the last minute to announce who's playing.

They may well be trying to save some cash by leaving it this late, but they are playing a very dangerous game, and I think they may be pissing a lot of people off with the hanging on.

For those reasons I've not yet bought a ticket, although I probably will, regardless, as it's not too far away from home and a bloody good weekend.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More announced today the main one being The Coral. Still uninspiring.

From t'official site.

Festival veterans The Coral, Glasgow rock band legends GUN, Funkademia feat. Graeme Hawley (aka Coronation Street's John Stape) & David Dunne (Galaxy FM), Cornish Punk outfit Crowns and Johnny Cash tribute Jericho Hill are the latest acts to join Feeder, Echo & The Bunnymen, Noisettes, The Damned, and From The Jam on the bill for the 10th Anniversary Wickerman.

Following their phenomenal return with the critically acclaimed ‘Butterfly House’, The Coral have cemented their position as one of the UK’s most established and exciting bands. Taking to the Summerisle Stage on Saturday night they are guaranteed to delight the Wickerman audience.

While Glasgow Rock band GUN add a burst of Glaswegian swagger to the lineup. Formed in 1987 GUN toured the USA and supported The Rolling Stones on their European Urban Jungle Tour of 1990, tours with Bon Jovi and Def Leppard followed shortly after. They join The Coral on the Summerisle Stage on Saturday night.

A regular within Bass Camp, Funkademia, the kings and queens of Manchester’s afterhours, return to take control of the new outdoor stage "The Landlords Daughter". Part bar and part daytime entertainment venue it is themed on the famous Green Man Inn from The Wicker Man film.

This year for the first time Funkademia are bringing along some special guests to join the party. Graeme Hawley is better known for causing mayhem on Coronation Street as John Stape, however, after a very big week for his character he is bowing out of the show, leaving him plenty time to pursue his other passion of DJ’ing. Alongside Graeme, we also welcome David Dunne who helped shape the face of music in Manchester with radio shows on Piccadilly, Kiss 102, Atlantic 252 and travelled the world playing for Hed Kandi now presents the the Nu Cool show on Galaxy FM. Funkademia is completed with residents Good For The Soul and Kid Blast.

Over in the Scooter tent, Cornish exports, Crowns have been added to the bill. Likened to The Pogues, the foursome supported the punk giants at Brixton in December last year and have also collaborated with Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons for a song on the recently released ‘The Flowerpot Sessions’ compilation, they are not to be missed. Joining them are the Glasgow based Johnny Cash tribute act, Jericho Hill.

Edited by Ray Vaughan

Not too displeased with the Coral's inclusion, but it's like little dribs and drabs. Really beginning to lose the enthusiasm I had originally for my second Wickerman, the anticipation and excitement should be hyped up and teased out of folk, it shouldn't be a long, drawn out and generally frustrating process of "pretty shit small announcement" after "pretty shit small announcement" with a long break of silence in between.

Hopefully there's still a couple more to come including a decent Friday headliner.

Edited by _Jay_

I went to see GUN earlier this year, i liked them when i was 15, my flatmate got me tickets for christmas. They don't have Mark Rankin singing.

But to be honest it didn't matter. It was one of the best gigs I've been to in ages. I was worried it might be a bit cheesy, but they didn't take anything seriously and just really looked like they were having a lot of fun on stage. They were also tight as and most of the tunes held up well. Word up was probably one of the worst, then again with a festival crowd, it may go over better.

Anyway, just thought some of you would like to know. I'd give them a watch, in fact I'd go see them again and I wasn't really looking forward to it after a 12 hr shift.

I like The Coral so happy with that also johnny cash tribute band but Gun ffs they were pish first time round . Still need a good few strong additions imo def would not of bought tkts if i new this was line up .

I really fear for this years festival as from talking to friends who went last year out of our group of 25 only 10 going so far ie bought tkts where as by this time last year we had all bought . I know thats not entirely scientific but combined with comments on various sites and the short timescale to festival it does not bode well .

I also think many who bought early bird tkts will def reconsider which is a real shame as this doesnt help secure the wickermans future .

It’s been a bit of a joke this year. Every time I come onto the eFestivals home page there’s news about decent acts being announced for festivals of all sizes all over the UK, but there’s very rarely anything about Wickerman – and when there actually is, it’s a mediocre announcement.

It’s like trying to draw blood from a stone and then, when you finally succeed, finding out that it’s not actually blood, it's just a pretty rubbish red food colouring instead.

Do they actually realise the festival is only about 5 weeks away? I have the horrible feeling that either the Coral or Echo and the Bunnymen are going to be shifted onto the main stage on the Friday night as headliners, and the rest of the bill is going to be full of bands no-one’s heard of (either for a prolonged period of time, or ever).

Hope I’m wrong though!

giving a bit of thought to going elsewhere now, wasn't going to buy my ticket til I got paid at the end of the month but I'm less than impressed with the way things are developing

guaranteed I'd have a good time regardless of whos playing but I think I'd rather take my money & spend it somewhere with a decent lineup :(

Rabbit out of the hat announcement for me then. Happy to see James headline the Friday night, although I was happy with The Charlatans announcement last year and I was very disappointed. In fact I'd say that they were probably one of the worst I've seen at Wickerman, although not half as bad as the Hibs supporting speccy twats from Leith.