Taking your child to Glastonbury

Guest mj2004

We attended in 2005 when it was really muddy and rainy but still had a great time. We really want to go next year with our daughter who will be just over 2 then. It would be good to hear peoples experiences of camping with young children and if they have any tips for me.

Things to bring...

Ear defenders (get her used to them before the festival she needs to understand they are not a toy)Buy Here! and lots of other places too but these seem reasonably priced...

A trolley type thing you can festoon with lights and fill with soft stuff for your daughter to sleep the evening away whilst you dance the evening away.

A pile of compromise! Remember it's her festival too! The Main Kidz Field backs onto the Pyramid stage so even if you don't see the bands during the daytime if you spend time in the Kidz Field you will at least hear the live performances.

Snack stuff and drinks for her - Whilst lots of these things are available at Glasto remember they can be overpriced.

Get a high vis vest for her (Off ebay a couple of pounds) write your mobile numbers on the back of it and make her wear it at all times you'll be able to see her clearer and if she does manage to escape you just need to turn your mobiles on and wait. In 5 years we have only lost Ewan once and it was the longest 10 minutes ever, we were in the Kidz field, he said he turned around couldn't see us and went straight to the stewards, we looked for him for 5 minutes before my mobile rang.

Lots of baby wipes and sunscreen, waterproof trousers and jacket.

Thinking of taking my 8 and 6 year olds for the first time next year. With regards registration for kids - do i need to get them registered with a photo etc before the October on-sale date or can i just 'buy' kids tickets when I pay my balance in April? Couldn't find this info on the official website.

edit - just found the answer to my own question:

Everyone aged over 12 on Wednesday 22nd June 2011 (when the Festival starts) who plans to the come the Festival, must register. Children aged 12 and under do not require tickets and do not need to register

which then leads to another question/assumption, i guess i can decide right up until the last minute whether to take the kids or not?

Edited by nellie72

I suggest that you read all of these:-

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/info-TakingKids.shtml

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/womad/2001/review-kids.shtml

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/guilfest/2001/review-kids.shtml

(the first is specifically Glasto, but the other two very probably have extra useful info and ideas)

Things to bring...

Ear defenders (get her used to them before the festival she needs to understand they are not a toy)Buy Here! and lots of other places too but these seem reasonably priced...

A trolley type thing you can festoon with lights and fill with soft stuff for your daughter to sleep the evening away whilst you dance the evening away.

A pile of compromise! Remember it's her festival too! The Main Kidz Field backs onto the Pyramid stage so even if you don't see the bands during the daytime if you spend time in the Kidz Field you will at least hear the live performances.

Snack stuff and drinks for her - Whilst lots of these things are available at Glasto remember they can be overpriced.

Get a high vis vest for her (Off ebay a couple of pounds) write your mobile numbers on the back of it and make her wear it at all times you'll be able to see her clearer and if she does manage to escape you just need to turn your mobiles on and wait. In 5 years we have only lost Ewan once and it was the longest 10 minutes ever, we were in the Kidz field, he said he turned around couldn't see us and went straight to the stewards, we looked for him for 5 minutes before my mobile rang.

Lots of baby wipes and sunscreen, waterproof trousers and jacket.

And if you dont like the idea of the crowds and the busyness of Glasto but want a similar and just as, if not better festival experience with the whole family and very very safe indeed, consider Camp Bestival which is essentially the Glastonbury Kids Field but 5 times as large with adults allowed to play too!