qotsa place on the bill

Guest pink_triangle

First this is not a criticism of the band, I think rated R is a great album. I think they are decent (but not spectacualr) live. However taking away personal opinion, do people think 2nd headliners is a bit high for them. Bands in this slot generally do arena, Im sure qotsa havent done an arena tour. Are they really bigger than the likes of lost prophets and biffy clyro. Again not criticising the band or their fans but they just seem a lot smaller than others occupying the same slot. Any thoughts?

QOTSA are massive, they have some massive radio hits and are all over the music channels. Most peoiple will have heard at least one QOTSA song and over the years they've played all over the place and gradually climbed to the position they're at now. the fact they're one of the best live acts around certainly cements the fact they deserve there slot.

You say Lostprophets have played arenas, look at what happened. They played arenas, quite rightly saw that I was getting a bigger crowd in my shed and dropped back down to academies that they could fill. They wern't and aren't big enough for arenas, where as I could see QOTSA selling out arenas in America and at least Alexandra Palace here.

You say Lostprophets have played arenas, look at what happened. They played arenas, quite rightly saw that I was getting a bigger crowd in my shed and dropped back down to academies that they could fill. They wern't and aren't big enough for arenas, where as I could see QOTSA selling out arenas in America and at least Alexandra Palace here.

I would say that qotsa and lost prophets would sell out similar size venues in the uk. What they would sell out in america is irrelevant as very few americans buy tickets for the festival. I just dont see the difference in qotsa and lost prophets to be 2 slots different on the bill. i would say the difference in popularity between libertines and cribs, and paramore and cypress hill is far greater. Also are queens of the stone age that massive in america? I have never got the impression that they are one of the huge acts over there but could be completely wrong.

Since when have the libertines sold out arenas?

Or for that matter been a massive band?

Libs and QOTSA have similar cult followings. Both are really popular with the r&l crowd.

Ur point about being no difference between QOTSA biffy and lp just highlights how good that day is at r&l and how big a draw the festivals are to bands.

What difference des worldwide fame make? The darkness, razorlight, travis, pulp and stereophonics didnt headline because of worldwide fame. Kaiser chiefs and bloc party werent second on the bill last year because they are big in america. I take your point about the difference between half selling an arena or selling out academies but I suspect that lost prophets and qotsa can sell out similar size venues in the uk which makes the 2 place different surprising. Going by the way festival republic usualy book, it just seems strange to me how they place the likes of placebo and qotsa in the same slot as far more succesful acts, not neccesarily a bad thing, just an observation. My assumption is that the booker likes the bands so promotes them in favours of others of similar sizes. As I said if i was in charge i would push my favourites up as well!

What difference des worldwide fame make? The darkness, razorlight, travis, pulp and stereophonics didnt headline because of worldwide fame. Kaiser chiefs and bloc party werent second on the bill last year because they are big in america. I take your point about the difference between half selling an arena or selling out academies but I suspect that lost prophets and qotsa can sell out similar size venues in the uk which makes the 2 place different surprising. Going by the way festival republic usualy book, it just seems strange to me how they place the likes of placebo and qotsa in the same slot as far more succesful acts, not neccesarily a bad thing, just an observation. My assumption is that the booker likes the bands so promotes them in favours of others of similar sizes. As I said if i was in charge i would push my favourites up as well!

I think there's also the fact that most people are bored of Lostprophets by now. Much like why we have the headlienrs we have. People aregue they're not big enough, but they've not played gigs here in such a long time that demand is so high. Losprophets have spent the last 2 years touring a pretty tragic album, and even played R/L last year. Everyone who wants to see them has seen them this year. Hardcore QOTSA fans have been waiting atleast 3 years.

I think there's also the fact that most people are bored of Lostprophets by now. Much like why we have the headlienrs we have. People aregue they're not big enough, but they've not played gigs here in such a long time that demand is so high. Losprophets have spent the last 2 years touring a pretty tragic album, and even played R/L last year. Everyone who wants to see them has seen them this year. Hardcore QOTSA fans have been waiting atleast 3 years.