Tipis.

Guest DAVA

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it work if a group sharing a tipi arrives at different times? I bought/paid for the tipi but will be arriving after someone else who's going to be staying in it - if I give my friend the confirmation details how do the folk on the gates know he's legitimate?

• 2 weeks later...

E-mail received from Hearthworks (the company who organise the Tipi field) today with all the stuff you need to know.

Basically, the only change being that you just need to give them the lead-booker's registration number (beginning 29 or 30 with six digits after that).

That's it, job's a good 'un and everything's in place. Now to sort the weather out.....

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on the Tipi Field this year?

We arrived late Thursday so had a Tipi right down at the fence, Tipi was fine although only 4 of us, would have been tight if there was 6, the guy said we could have a larger one but was right next to toilets.

Anyway the amount of abuse and negative comments we got was hilarious, some of it good humour but some people were pretty pathetic, couple of people at 5am Sunday morning stayed outside the fence for over an hour trying to keep the Tipi dwellers awake (those who were asleep anyway!) Anyway that didn't bother us much was quite funny.

Think there was only 8 toilets at start of the weekend, fair play they got some more but should have that them from the start.

Heard a few people saying the facilities were a lot worse than previous years?

I think for £900 a tipi they should have better facilities, I ended up just using the Long Drops near the Park most of the time and I didn't have a shower once as the queues were too long.

I still enjoyed it and would probably do it again if I had the money!!

We were pretty chuffed with ours. It was nice for once to be on the side where the grass was greener!

I didn't use the showers and used the Park longdrops during peak times in the mornings, but then longdrops are always a better bet than portaloos if you have the choice. At least they were pretty close.

We had 6 people in ours and I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious they were. Could easily have fitted more people in with room for luggage, etc.

Had a little bit of water leakage from the raincatcher but it was pretty minimal and didn't really spoil anything.

Neighbours were quiet - apart from the bagpipe player and the Mull of Kintyre folk (presumably the same bunch and maybe one of the other Scottish parties who posted above) - and we picked a good spot away from the fence and toilets so no problems with that.

All in, I'd do it again like a shot and feel that £30 a night for 5 nights was one of the better bargains I've had this year.

this was the third year out of the last 5 i've hired one with mates and still trying to work out if it represents good value for money for me, as i dont generally mind roughing it either.

Pros:

Not having to lug tents across site

Great location, elevated and close to Park, Green Fields, Stone Circle, short trek to Other, Glade and West Holts.

Security - didn't hear of anyone have issues with this

If you get a tipi on the west of the field you can hear Park stage really well

Cons:

This year the shower queues seemed much longer than previously, which was a pain - which i think is out of order if you consider they are collecting £900 for every tipi in there (there were about 100 at an estimate). ca £100,000 and only 8 showers.

Last year there were composting loos - much nicer than this years portaloos, which again there weren't enough of until they added some on Friday (Sat?)

Technically you could make it quite a bit cheaper by getting 10 or so in one tipi but you only get 6 wristbands so you'd have the hassle of always having to have a wristband holder with you when you wanted to access the field.

To me it feels like you're paying for location, security and ease of arrival/departure rather than great facilities.

Although one thing that was really worth it in 2010 was waking up relatively cool at 8am when everyone else was cooking in their tents already

It was our third year in the tipis and we were pretty pleased with it again. Though much preferred the compost toilets and the field could've done with a few extra toilets and showers. I never queued for more than 40mins, mainly 5 or 10 mins for a shower... the queue for the toilets always seemed too long and I just went elsewhere, it's not like they were any better than the general festival loos.

There's some wonderings in our camp about a campervan next year - can we live with the massive hike and having to deal with passouts every day and not have the ability to just pop back to the tipi for something, the main deal with the tipis is how close to my fav area of the festival it is.

Edited by Pipine

Agree with the comments about location, was fantastic. Worth a fair chunk of the cash alone.

Toilets:

Think if they added some urinals it would help the toilet queues, wasn't much further to the Park ones though. But as mentioned earlier were ok once more were added.

Also would like to add all the staff and security were all very pleasant people!!

What is the deal the Tipi area further along nearer the Park Stage?

The positives- Great location, views and space to chill out with a soundtrack provided by the park stage but then we

knew this before we went. Easy access for stone circle most of the stages (apart from JP AND PYRAMID) It did feel more securein there although my camping chair was stolen on Sunday night.

However, I thought the facilities for tipi dwellers were somewhat lacking- 8 was nowhere near enough toilets for everyone. the tipis themselves were smaller than I thought they would be and could only just accommodate 6 blokes, all their stuff and an air/camp bed each.

The showers were great- first time in nine Glastos I've bothered.

On reflection on the whole experience, positive and recommended!