your camper van experience

Guest hope

As someone seriously thinking about saving up for a camper, just wanted to say thanks for some of the info on this thread - it's given me a good starting point to start digging about! :)

(just need to work out a way of raising the cash between now and next June :blink: )

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year was my first Glasto and my first time on the Campervan fields.We arrived on Tue afternoon and asked for family camping and were lucky enough to be put on E23.Lots of extra friendly people,facilities not too far away .As for the hill of death?????? come on people where do you guys live ??????

We hired our Motorhome from Swindon and it was worth every penny -a good nights sleep in a double bed with proper quilts and pillows,a lovely hot cuppa and full english,a hot shower and cold beers every day.

The only negative was the individual who objected to us running the engine up everyday to charge the batteries which is essential when you have no electric hook up and there are no generators allowed on site.Now I must insist we were considerate and never started it before 10am when the vast majority of families were out of their beds and getting ready for the day.A purring cat would make more noise than the engine ticking over and the slight amount of diesel odour that was been exhausted was directly onto our own awning and the oposite side of the complainant who was in fact on the path opposite.

Security were called but were very understanding and didnt have a problem in fact they had trouble locating us as they couldnt hear anything.

Anyway it hasnt put me off going next year but when arriving at camp I will explain to neighbours what i will be doing in advance and ask if they have any problems with that and of course let them consider wether they want to be our neighbours.

And for all those that think I'm a just a softie-as an ex soldier I think i've paid my dues in roughing it and you can stick your sleeping bags and roll mats -where's the fun in aching bones baggy eyes,warm beers and jonny rotten crotch?

looking forward to the hardcore replies

Not sure what having been a soldier has to do with anything. We too let the engine run, three times during the fest.

The longest was about 30 min. The guy next to us did it almost daily (from Tuesday onwards) for 2-3 hours, which I thought was slightly OTT. Would not dream of calling security though. Maybe there were other issues in play.

We took a trailer tent for the first time and were in E23. It was superb. Best location ever and will never want to go back to tenting.

We had two bedrooms in the trailer tent with a large communal/cooking area with three small tents alongside just for the rest of the gang to sleep. The main bonus was the calor gas fridge. Our milk was still OK at the end, drinks were all chilled and for the first three days we had loads of fresh fruit (incl 3 punnets of strawberries) and salad stuff. As the pershables got eaten we used the space to chill more cans.

We stayed cool throughout the festival and the TT option couldn't be faulted.

Last year I borrowed a VW camper for one fest but the TT option beat it hands down. More space, more comfortable and cooler.

Hey rischbrit, you obviously got home ok? We were parked directly behind you in Betty, our blue and white T2. :)

We loved being in the campervan fields and will be doing it again next year. Quiet, comfy, dust free - it made all the difference to us.

We had a bit of an interesting journey down (a few mechanical problems!) but once we'd been pushed into place by some nice boys and stewards :D it was great. And she started up first time to get us off site and never faltered all the way home.

We had loads of space as we've got a Khyam awning and the Devon pop top is great. We had great neighbours all round us - and bags of space because Betty had over heated they just pushed us into position and then couldn't ask us to get a bit closer to the van next to us :lol:

Hill of Death - get a grip. We came back to the van in the middle of the day to have a chill before the nighttime shenanigans and it was no issue in normal circumstances - I did pity the poor people who had to cart all their tents off site via it though.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in the West campervan fields - apparently they had no hill - but a walk once they were in site to reach anything. I loved that as soon as you were through Gate C you were bang in the site and moseying past the acoustic tent/kids field/though circus fields before you knew it. East side of the site is my fave anyway so would happily stick with the hill to be near the stuff we love.

Had the best time, wouldn't contemplate doing it in a tent on site

Our journey started off well! the van had a fantastic run the weekend b4 (65 splitty) I had paid 400 quid the week b4 for a new flex plate (it has been converted to auto) started fine on the tuesday all set off down the m6 got 4 junctions down heard a bang pulled over with the engine still running! switched everything off then that was it! dead as a dodo!

took 5 hours for the whole recovery process back home (they keep insiting on sending a towing van instead of a truck that the camper goes on the back of) as they see the year and assume its manual even though ive told them a zillion times! stoped at services lovely recovery man had a look,shook his head and took us home!

I was upset for about an hour then realised i had to get over it! we drove to go out doors in the car, bought a tent, filled up the car with as much stuff as we could and set off! arrived in b and b at around 10.30pm on the tues feeling a bit sorry for ourselves!

drove almost straight in after a short wait in the car on wed morn around 8am (i even diverted to morrisons for petrol and was still surprised how quick the q was moving!)

was closest to ped gate D - Yes this was the worst bit, but i honestly thought it would be worse! the heat wasnt nice but people singing and playing guitar made the time go quicker!

camped in bushy ground, and met some lovely neighbours who we spent the entire week with! im a great believer in fate and couldnt help but thinking how lucky we had been :)

I visited the camper fields once (east) and it wasnt like i expected, i had turned into a bit of a camping in a tent snob after having the camper but i can honestly say my fears have been lifted, it was fine (though in the rain would have been a dif story!)

Did anyone else have to change their plans due to a van having a mind of its own?

First time with a campervan. Wandered down Monday evening, found a farm to stop at near Weston, got to site Tuesday 2pm we were the only van making its way into West campervan field. Parked up on reasonably flat ground (although most were on a gentle slope )relaxed in the sun for rest of the day barbie and a few beers. Wandered through empty gates Wed am and sat up by the Park watching the festival unravel ! Waited til 4pm on Monday to leave, by which time there were no queues so made it to the M5 and home in normal time. Never experienced such an easy time of it at a festival ! Campervan gave us added comfort and only negative possibly being the extra walk either end of the day. One thing was always in the back of my mind though, if it had rained heavily after a steady flow of traffic, how easily the vans would have made it back up the hill to the tracked pathway ?!In short if I could buy my campervan ticket for 2011 in advance i'd pay the money now!!

Mazda Bongos, know a friend who has one. They're ok... but I think there are some drawbacks. No walkthrough between the front seats, so you have to get out to get in the back. That'll be annoying if it's raining. Fuel economy... although his is a diesel (with automatic gearbox) he is lucky to get 20mpg. There's only one bed in it, and that's a pain to set up. The roof canvasses are normally

neon, and i don't like that. Get a T3

We were in the corner in the second field from the Hill of Death, in family camping. It was lovely and quiet and we had great neighbours too. Only about 5 mins to PGC but we had about 30 minute queue to get in for Rolf on Friday, which was the longest we queued. We hired our van this year, two year old Fiat Timberland, but are seriously considering buying a caravan for future festivals. Our budget doesn't stretch to a decent campervan and the journey home on Monday was littered with broken down campers. I have an estate car so a caravan seems the best option to us. We will be sticking with family camping again next year as we will have a 6 month old with us, so we will no doubt be the ones waking others up at 6am!! Apologies in advance ;)

We were in the corner in the second field from the Hill of Death, in family camping. It was lovely and quiet and we had great neighbours too. Only about 5 mins to PGC but we had about 30 minute queue to get in for Rolf on Friday, which was the longest we queued. We hired our van this year, two year old Fiat Timberland, but are seriously considering buying a caravan for future festivals. Our budget doesn't stretch to a decent campervan and the journey home on Monday was littered with broken down campers. I have an estate car so a caravan seems the best option to us. We will be sticking with family camping again next year as we will have a 6 month old with us, so we will no doubt be the ones waking others up at 6am!! Apologies in advance ;)

This year was my first time to Glasto and we all camped in the dairy ground (tents). My Mrs isn't a keen festival go'er like myself and after i came home raving about it, she promised to go next year on the condition we get a camper van or motor home

I have a few questions, im hoping someone could help with:

1) I will be hiring a camper van rather than buying one, and just wanted to know the best companies to hire them from?

2) Some friends of our stayed in a motor home this year, and they were moaning about having to pay an additional £75 compared to normal people. They main point being that they rocked up and leave, not leaving any trace of rubbish etc...so why do they have to pay extra?? Anyone know the reason behind this??

3) Are you allowed to pitch small tents near your motor home for kids or friends etc?

Thanks in advance.

Dirty_Dave -

1) Sorry, can't answer this one.

2) People who come by car have to pay £15 (£20 on the day) so campervan rate is only £55/60 more then the "standard" rate - but you can get many more cars in a field than motorhomes/campervans/caravans with their awnings. I suspect the farmers who give their fields up for parking get monetary compensation, so GFL will need to charge more for campervans etc. Also campervans will need more facilities (toilets, water points etc) than the car parking fields, which all costs. Rubbish still needs to be collected, and while there wasn't as much mess as in the camping fields, there were still abandoned chairs etc around when we left. We stayed from the Tues afternoon to the Mon afternoon so only works out at £12.50 per night, which is pretty much the going rate for a campsite without electric hookup anyway.

3) Yes you can put a tent behind the vehicle which can be slept in, but for safety reasons you're not officially allowed to sleep in an attached awning. Have a look at the campervan info on the official GFL website as it will tell you a bit about what to expect.

Hope this helps!

Sue

we were in E16 - friends got there first with a trailer tent, 5 of us arrived and parked our car in E10 and walked to them - we pitched 4 tents between the 5 of us round the trailer tent...I probably got the most sleep ever at Glasters, unbelievable - but really missed being nearer - still, was great having loads of room but only problem was that both our neighbours had generators which they put on all the time...very annoying...my best mate has always camped but is now converted...she absolutely loved it...:)

Anyone see that old Datsun camper in the hill of death field - i was most surprised, as it had a character of it's own - had all the looks of a VW T2 without the rust (or the cost I suspect), with a pop roof and everything - anyone know what type it was?

Edited to add:

found it - one like this!

800px-Nissan_Caravan_E20_004.JPG

Edited by 5co77ie

Anyone see that old Datsun camper in the hill of death field - i was most surprised, as it had a character of it's own - had all the looks of a VW T2 without the rust (or the cost I suspect), with a pop roof and everything - anyone know what type it was?

Edited to add:

found it - one like this!

800px-Nissan_Caravan_E20_004.JPG