Unrecognisable!

Guest LusciousLucy

I really don't like the way everything is pushed over to the left, the aesthetics are terrible. I suppose we'll have to get used to it.

How about an advert free version for subscribers?

I have never clicked on an advert so there is no revenue from me there, whereas I'd pay £10 a year for an advert free version :)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda finding all the whining about Ads quite amusing I'm afraid ! Sorry, and all that :P But you see the thing is Ads (totally unnecessary flash cr@p in particular) almost always totally stuffs Ye Olde Computer even on a good day on any site. Many sites bring the poor old thing to it's knees with all the completely unnecessary, totally irrelevant and very over-the-top 100% resource consuming Ads being dished out by Ad Houses various when in many cases a simple animated gif or suchlike would be just perfect for the job.

However, I *NEVER* block Ads in general for eFests and nor do I block pop-ups either and I even clicky on Ads various even though I have absolutely no interest in them whatsoever. No such thing as a free lunch and all that ... Ads help pay the bills etc. The only thing I sometimes have to resort to is blocking certain badly written flash stuff that screw up Ye Olde Puter totally otherwise. But the reason I find all this whining amusing is that I have experienced virtually no problems at all despite the fact that Ye Olde PC generally complains bitterly and goes all stupid on me at even the merest hint of provocation !! I've had no banner stylee Ads hogging the system, no popups causing issues, certainly no repeat pop-ups which is a problem I've suffered with lots in the past. Everything is pretty much fine and dandy in fact although there are some weird issues with Ad redirects I think causing long delays on occasions but that could be down to my ISP. As for speed in general, it's about the same if not slightly faster than before on this old and stupid PC.

Seems to me that it's Ad Houses producing totally stupid humongous Ads and perhaps more to the point, Ad Houses trying to defeat Ad Blockers et al that is perhaps the real issue here :unsure: Also I doubt any website has that much control over which Ads are served which almost certainly explains earlier comments along the lines of "all forums going down the route of lots of *very* animated Ads". Most (if not all Ads) anywhere these days are totally OTT flash jobbies that would like to get their grubby mits on 200% of whatever resources are possibly available and all that !

Sure there are some niggles. There always are with any upgrade. They always get sorted one way or another in due course as well so I doubt this time will be any different. But all in all, I don't see any real problems (despite my long history of experiencing shedloads of them over the years !) and the only thing I don't much like is the less forum and more other stuff on the screen situation. But that's hardly a show-stopper tho is it :rolleyes:

TBH, I can't even remember what the previous forum pages looked like now (apart from them being bigger) but the colours and general layout after this upgrade is OK so far as I'm concerned. I think it might even be easier to read stuff than it was before as I often used to have problems (due to cr@ppy eyesight and cr@ppy monitor) with the previous upgrade.

Still going to be looking at paying my way directly in the future mind you (as I've wanted to do for ages but didn't know it was actually possible now) so that I can finally dump all the Ad House produced cr@p without feeling in any way guilty about it :lol:

Edited by mikeb

I,ve given the site a couple days now and I just dont like it. Its not the ads its the design...its really naff. The old site had a bit of a retro feel and suited the site....like an old friend that never changes but is always welcome for a good night out, a chat and a couple of beers. This now feels like the annoying tosspot who has just bought an ipad and is determined to show it to you at every opportunity.....it may be flash,clever and the "in" thing but has no soul.

I will try and adjust but if the old style came back I will feel an awful lot happier.

Edited by jamseyboy

As lots of people have mentioned they'd like it, the option is now available to have the forums advert-free, at the cost of £18 per year.

To automatically subscribe yourself to this option, just click here:-

/index.php?app=subscriptions">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=subscriptions

(I've not been able to test this as I can't make payments to myself via PayPal - if there's any problems for any person doing this, please let me know and I'll look into it asap).

Ok I will pay to get rid of the adds but can you tell me if it will be all squashed up still?

I like the colouring but hate the "all pushed over to one side" look.

yes it will be, because some of that space down the right is utilised by other things.

However, if my presumption is right that most complainants about it are running (in today's terms) a low screen resolution (800 pixels wide or less), then that issue will I hope be be resolved for most users within (I hope) the next 24 hours.

yes it will be, because some of that space down the right is utilised by other things.

However, if my presumption is right that most complainants about it are running (in today's terms) a low screen resolution (800 pixels wide or less), then that issue will I hope be be resolved for most users within (I hope) the next 24 hours.