Whiskey Recommendations

Guest StormCrow

I've just bought myself a hip flask which I had intended to put some skittle vodka in but I think I need something a bit more special to go in the flask. The skittle vodka can go in an empty water bottle.

I quite fancy getting a decent whiskey but it is years & years since I had any.

I'm after some recommendations for a smooth single malt nothing that makes you shudder after you drink it though.

I've just bought myself a hip flask which I had intended to put some skittle vodka in but I think I need something a bit more special to go in the flask. The skittle vodka can go in an empty water bottle.

I quite fancy getting a decent whiskey but it is years & years since I had any.

I'm after some recommendations for a smooth single malt nothing that makes you shudder after you drink it though.

I'm a Islay bigot and Lagavulin 16 or Ardbeg Uigeadail are the ones for me but if you are not so keen on the peat I'd go for a Highland Park or if you can handle a smidge of peatiness, Talisker.

EDIT: Looks like great minds think alike onelittlefish! Good call on the Highland Park and Talisker :P

Edited by Breeze

The bottle I have in the cabinet right now is Glemorangie Signet - cost me a smidge over £100 a couple of months back so not going to Glasto in case it gets nicked. Might try and find a decent cheaper whisky that's still nice - always love browsing for whisky :P

Always loved the whisky tents at Bella and Connect - had some lovely stuff over the three fests I've been to when the tent's been there - a 30yo Rosebank was AMAZING. Always spend way, way too much in those tents though, at Bella last year they got so used to my drunken whisky ramblings they made me a special personalised cup for my drams :P

Edited by OneLittleFish

I'm a Islay bigot and Lagavulin 16 or Ardbeg Uigeadail are the ones for me but if you are not so keen on the peat I'd go for a Highland Park or if you can handle a smidge of peatiness, Talisker.

EDIT: Looks like great minds think alike onelittlefish! Good call on the Highland Park and Talisker :P

Thanks for the ideas I must admit I did some research before posting and the ones I had shortlisted are a pretty good match for the recommendations on here such as

Glenlivet

Lagavulin

Talisker

Glemorangie

I will look into Highland Park but I’m tempted by the Glenlivet at Asda I never thought of looking there.

jameson whiskey is top. i've got a bottle at the mo as it was a couple of quid cheaper in sainsburys the other week (not sure if promotion is still running however)

highland park and glenmorangie both good shouts for their price.

i was in harrods yesterday before going to see chemical brothers and spotted a bottle worth £13,997. now that must be some damn good whiskey.

Thanks for the ideas I must admit I did some research before posting and the ones I had shortlisted are a pretty good match for the recommendations on here such as

Glenlivet

Lagavulin

Talisker

Glemorangie

I will look into Highland Park but I’m tempted by the Glenlivet at Asda I never thought of looking there.

Glenlivet & Glenmorangie are the two I tend to go for and go for the most aged one I can afford at the time. I'll be checking the supermarket offers in the coming weeks....

I'm partial to a nice drop of Laphroaig. Get a nice 10yo for about £20 in most supermarkets. Nice and smooth.

However, for Glasto I take two 500ml plastic water bottles. One full of vodka, and the other with JD. At festivals I go for quantity over quality. Sorry about that!

And plenty of nice warm cans of lager for breakfast.

Edited by GingerRock

Tobermory. Has been found in Asda for £16, but don't let that put you off, it's great.

Or Edradour, preferably the madeira casked version, or if you can find it there was a cherry brandy casked version that was just incredible. Bit expensive though.