I have a confession

Guest Funkyfairy!

Where do I start with Muse ?

Although obviously I have heard many of their tracks I have never sat and really listened to them. OH has them on constantly on his ipod and thinks they are awesome, but I've not ever got into them

From what I've heard so far I thought they sounded like they should be providing a sound track to a space film - and hence they've never really featured on my playlists and I've kind of ignored their existance

Now G is getting closer and it's time to give those bands a try that either I've never heard, or never got into

So where is the best place to start with Muse ..... my ipod now contains Black Holes and Revelations, HAARP and Showbiz ... where should I start ... or is there anything missing

Start at the begining.

Showbiz

Origin Of Symmetry

Absolution

And then if you like those, move onto

Black Holes

The Resistance

The first three albums are pure awesomeness (including the rawness of Showbiz), and then the later two move towards high concept albums

I think you should start him with Please, Actually and Introspective and if he likes those move on to Behaviour, Nightlife, Fundamental, Yes and everything else in between.

He will then want to go and see Pet Shop Boys on the other stage and you won't even have to worry about Muse.

Easy! :P

I think you should start him with Please, Actually and Introspective and if he likes those move on to Behaviour, Nightlife, Fundamental, Yes and everything else in between.

He will then want to go and see Pet Shop Boys on the other stage and you won't even have to worry about Muse.

Easy! :P

The first 3 albums are magnificent.

For me although Black holes and revelations was decent and has some great tracks such as Knights of Cydonia, it was the beginning of the end of Muse. They used to be my favourite band, but I'm not into their new stuff that much.

Now they are way too pop and their albums sound more like a soundtrack to a broadway musical. Also I think they take the whole "give us the truth" message a bit too far.

Absolution is my favourite album but Showbiz got me into Muse, specifically Muscle Museum. Origin of Symmetry has probably the best alternative rock songs on it though such as Plug in Baby, New Born, and Citizen Erased.

I'd say you've probably heard the singles, and if you're not grabbed by those, the albums aren't going to convert you.

I saw them live a while ago, not expecting a great deal, but Matt announced "Hey guys, check out this riff", and launched into something blistering, which convinced me for a time.

Despite not liking the newest album I though BHAOR was excellent, its my second favourite Muse album behind showbiz. Although the two albums in between have some excellent tracks I find them both patchy at best, really don't see what the fuss is over absolution, less so origin of symmetry.

It seems I'm the only one with this opinion. :P

I'd say you've probably heard the singles, and if you're not grabbed by those, the albums aren't going to convert you.

I saw them live a while ago, not expecting a great deal, but Matt announced "Hey guys, check out this riff", and launched into something blistering, which convinced me for a time.

The first 3 albums are magnificent.

For me although Black holes and revelations was decent and has some great tracks such as Knights of Cydonia, it was the beginning of the end of Muse. They used to be my favourite band, but I'm not into their new stuff that much.

Now they are way too pop and their albums sound more like a soundtrack to a broadway musical. Also I think they take the whole "give us the truth" message a bit too far.

Absolution is my favourite album but Showbiz got me into Muse, specifically Muscle Museum. Origin of Symmetry has probably the best alternative rock songs on it though such as Plug in Baby, New Born, and Citizen Erased.

I'd suggest starting from Showbiz then working your way through. If you don't fancy that then definitely listen to Absolution and HAARP, cos they are just awesome :P or listen to the songs they released as singles at the very least

oh and btw Radio 1 7pm Zane Lowe will be playing Muse's new song Neutron star collision for the first time if anyone's interested

Edited by geztival_09

I love Muse and have done since Showbiz. I saw them at V a few years back and they were ace, they were also amazing at Reading! I guess I am a little bias though as I do really like them!

I have friends who have seen them live who aren't as big a fans and they have enjoyed the show, they play enough of what you know to enjoy it and I think they are very good live and will be fab at Glasto!

I'd agree with starting with showbiz and going through them in order. If you're anything like me though, you'll love showbiz and origin of symmetry but get bored of the rest (bar the odd track) :P

I'd recommend the Absolution Tour DVD too as it contains their headline set from Glasto 2004- just to get you in the mood for Glastonbury at the same time :P

Their recent gig in Seattle went a little like this, I really like Muse, only got into them recently and looking forward to seeing them at G!! the tracks followed by the album its from. Hope this helps!!

Uprising (the resistane)

Resistance (the resistance)

Newborn (origins of symmetry)

Supermassive (black hole black holes and revalations)

Hysteria (absolution)

Guiding light (the resistance)

Ruled by secrecy (absolution)

United states of Eurasia (the resistance)

Feeling good (origins of symmetry)

Starlight (black hole and revalations)

Unnatural selection (the resistance)

Time is running out (absolution)

Plug in baby (origins of symmetry)

Stockholm symdrome (absolution)

Knights of Cydonia (black holes and revalations)

Their recent gig in Seattle went a little like this, I really like Muse, only got into them recently and looking forward to seeing them at G!! the tracks followed by the album its from. Hope this helps!!

Uprising (the resistane)

Resistance (the resistance)

Newborn (origins of symmetry)

Supermassive (black hole black holes and revalations)

Hysteria (absolution)

Guiding light (the resistance)

Ruled by secrecy (absolution)

United states of Eurasia (the resistance)

Feeling good (origins of symmetry)

Starlight (black hole and revalations)

Unnatural selection (the resistance)

Time is running out (absolution)

Plug in baby (origins of symmetry)

Stockholm symdrome (absolution)

Knights of Cydonia (black holes and revalations)

Edited by geztival_09

Guest musiclove123

Muse are a very good band and I love all their albums, especially Absolution, Blackholes & Revelations and Showbiz. They have their rocky songs but also their more laid back tracks. A very diverse band who are fantastic live