Tuesday night parking. A chance to party?

Guest Bernsville

Not that I particularly have a view one way or the other but there will be a party in the car parks on the Tuesday night. I really don't see how they can stop it. Once you have left your car there isn't much short of arresting you they can do I suppose. They cannot insist you do not drink because they have no legal remit to do so. They cannot confiscate your ticket if you leave it in your car and won't tell them which of the thousands of cars is yours. They cannot force you to stay in your car, in fact there isn't a lot they can do to stop a party tbh.

Anyone thinking many thousands of people in cars full to the brim with booze, who have just broken up for 5 days holidays are going to sit in the car and wait must have completely lost the plot.

Doesn't make any odds at the moment to me personally. We haven't even decided when we are arriving yet but I suspect we will set off when we usually set off and play it by ear.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, yes they could send you off site but what difference does that make ? You would simply wander back in later or use another entrance or wander up to the other car park. Not exactly any real put off is it.

I mean if you park your car up, leave your ticket in your car, grab a few cans and party. If they eject you from the car park what difference does that really make. It's not like your gonna go 'Oh ok, I'll go home then' is it ? If you were in West waiting for Ped D then you'd just wander up to Ped A where all the foot passengers go in and mingle in.

Like I say I still fail to see what they can do to stop it.

*Playing Devils advocate btw. As I stated I don't think I will arrive until Wednesday mid morning as normal.

Im probably heading down Tuesday night, in the early hours, mainly for the experience. Im not overly assed about getting a particular spot. I quite like being up by the Park.

I cant imagine it would be a huge party. People are clever enough to realise that if they leave their car stereo on for a few hours that night then Monday morning could bring the horrid realisation of a flat battery.

I will be serving Pimms , Champagne and Canape's in my Range Rover.

I will bring the shotguns as well and go and shoot some game , so bring a bbq and lets

paaaaaaaaaaarty !!!

Somerset Roasted Pheasant in a red wine jus would be lovely !!!

:P

Yes, yes they could send you off site but what difference does that make ? You would simply wander back in later or use another entrance or wander up to the other car park. Not exactly any real put off is it.

I mean if you park your car up, leave your ticket in your car, grab a few cans and party. If they eject you from the car park what difference does that really make. It's not like your gonna go 'Oh ok, I'll go home then' is it ? If you were in West waiting for Ped D then you'd just wander up to Ped A where all the foot passengers go in and mingle in.

Like I say I still fail to see what they can do to stop it.

*Playing Devils advocate btw. As I stated I don't think I will arrive until Wednesday mid morning as normal.

If they eject people, they're not going to want to go off-site without their car, are they? :P .... so that's them off-site until the car parks open (it'll be easy enough to share the car reg around the different car park entrances), and their early arrival will have brought them no advantage.

Even if they got back in to another car park, they'd be very unlikely to be too rowdy a second time and get kicked off again.

The point is that those arriving early will see their early arrival as giving them an advantage (whether or not that's the case is another thing - but people wouldn't bother to do it for no purpose, would they?) so if they risk losing that perceived advantage they'll be happy enough to quieten down.

It'll also be the case that not everyone will arrive expecting or wanting to party all night - plenty of people (the vast majority I would think) will be most interested in getting some sleep, so that they're able to better enjoy the festival rather than be too knackered because they've spent the night partying in a boring car park.

I don't expect everyone to willingly be quiet little lambs, but neither do I expect things to get wildly out of hand as you're suggesting will happen. And more to the point, I doubt Glasto do too - I very much doubt they'd put their licence at risk over something they don't have to do and which costs them money and doesn't earn them any unless they had full confidence in their abilities to control any issues - and the fact that they're very experienced in crowd management while the likes of you and me aren't has to count for a lot too!

I think you're making the mistake of believing that Glasto hasn't thought this thru from all angles.

Oh I didn't say it would get wildly out of hand.

I also think a lot of people just want to get in early, will have a few drinks with their immediate neighbours/group members and try and get some sleep. Although I fear if it's a nice evening then the queueing for the gate might start pretty early but that's a different topic. I also agree that if anyone can handle it then Glastonbury can given their vast experience.

Either way it will be interesting to find out when we turn up how it went down Tuesday night. I hope that it all goes smoothly and more importantly, being selfish, that we get a smooth ride into site Wednesday morning because of it.

Most people are gonna be at it for 5 nights !

Our crew want to be fighting fit for the Brothers Bar opening at 11,00 am Weds , so a night in

a field by a car is not the best preparation.

We intend to watch the sun come up at the Tor (conditions permittng ) , then head towards the car

parks afterwards.

A sensible option I think !

Most people are gonna be at it for 5 nights !

Our crew want to be fighting fit for the Brothers Bar opening at 11,00 am Weds , so a night in

a field by a car is not the best preparation.

We intend to watch the sun come up at the Tor (conditions permittng ) , then head towards the car

parks afterwards.

A sensible option I think !

My thoughts exactly. the thought of starting a full on 5 days on a shite nights sleep fills be with dread! My creaky body cannot cope with that - so we'll be snug in the Podimore Travel Lodge for a good nights sleep beforehand.

I actually thought it to be a bad idea from the start. Fair enough that they need to get cars of the road IF they start turning up for safety reasons. But to advertise in this is asking for trouble. Like Neil is saying I'm sure they have thought It through and will have procedures. And would like to think people respect the rules which they will no doubt ask you to do.

It will be sunny btw...

Edited by elbongo

:P

I don't think anyone is implying that there will be 10,000 people raving in the car parks. Surely though folk are goin to have beer flowing and music playin.

The reason I'm going on Tuesday is to avoid that Mother of all jams that occured last year! 14 hours it took me on the Wednesay, not again.

After all, that is the reason why the car parks are opening early.

Leave Bristol 5am, on site and parked up by 6.30, cheeky cider and wander to the gate for 8. Happy Days!

Not sure why anyone would want to arrive at 9pm tho - if you were coming from so far that you need to travel a day early surely it'd be better to get a hotel/hostel in Bristol or Bath then get to site first thing in the moring.

I'm having a good nights sleep on Monday night. As far as I'm concerned my festival starts on Tuesday night. I'll have a couple of beers in the car park, and toast the fact I'm not stuck in a traffic jam. I'm not fussed about getting in the gates, I just don't want to get stuck in that huge queue. It will happen regardless of car park opening times.

I don't intend to have a rave up Tuesday night, I just fancy I few beers, and a chinwag.

This is what I'm now thinking. We're coming from Preston which is a good 4-5 hour drive on a good day. I don't fancy the "sleep in the car park" option either, so I reckon I might book us in a Travelodge in the area so I can at least get a proper night's kip and a shower before the great-unwash-marathon. Even if we're an hour a way it's much more preferable to getting up at 4am to join the queue...

This is exactly why I thought the decision to open the car parks early was odd. People will certainly *want* to make it into some sort of party.

What people want and what they're able/allowed to have are normally different things. So it won't be hard for most people to get their heads around having to behave, if that's what they're asked to do.

As I've said, it'll only take one person getting thrown out for the rest to realise that they need to behave in the manner that Glasto are wanting. It's not like there's going to be any mass riot with the people in the car parks taking on security, is there? :P

Glastonbury are obviously convinced that they're able to control people to behave in whatever manner is expected of them, else they wouldn't be doing it. There's no reason to think they're wrong to have that view.

What people want and what they're able/allowed to have are normally different things. So it won't be hard for most people to get their heads around having to behave, if that's what they're asked to do.

As I've said, it'll only take one person getting thrown out for the rest to realise that they need to behave in the manner that Glasto are wanting. It's not like there's going to be any mass riot with the people in the car parks taking on security, is there? :P

Glastonbury are obviously convinced that they're able to control people to behave in whatever manner is expected of them, else they wouldn't be doing it. There's no reason to think they're wrong to have that view.

The only reason i am considering coming down on the Tuesday night is to avoid the cues onto site on the wednesday morning. As im coming from Liverpool to do that id either have to leave on the Wed morning about 4am or leave at 8pm on the thuesday night an have a kip in the car when we get there. Either way i do it im going to be having a pretty poor sleep on the tuesday night.

Probably going to do the Tuesday night as it seems like the more chilled option, take our time gettin down there get parked up have a few beers have a smoke and try an get our heads down. I doubt we'll be hittin hit hard partying on the Tuesday night with 5 full days of it ahead of us.

I really don't think anyone has any intention of misbehaving Tuesday night. That is unless getting out of your car, having a drink and a laugh is your interpretation of misbehaviour! After all we are all fully aware that we are going to Glastonbury not Reading!

Glastonbury is the only place where the carpark attendants smoke the reefer whilst directing you to a spot! I totally doubt they or indeed the organisers will mind anyone having a sociable drink, as long as we are all good boys and girls and keep the noise down. :P

The potential problem as I see it tho is if they don't mind "anyone having a sociable drink" then that is likely to lead to a bigger and bigger group, with more and more noise, and so much more difficult to reign in if/when it needs to be.

So I suspect that things will be organised in some way so that that doesn't happen, and the easiest way to achieve that IMO would be via an instruction that people basically have to stay in their cars.

If that's how they do things and that's not to everyone's liking, then those people don't have to use the early car parks.

I am planning to roll into the car park on Tuesday night/Wednesday

morning.

The Tuesday night parking is a new and welcome initiative to avoid congestion on the road that has blighted previous journeys to Glasto.

But am I alone in thinking that this is a perfect opportunity for an impromptu party in the carpark fields. Let's face it, there are a few hours to kill, and do you really think that you will be able to sleep in the car, with all the excitement building and the expectation of what Wednesday will bring?

I know you are meant to stay in your car blah, blah, blah, but what a great way to meet fellow glasto'ers by pumping up the car stereos, crack open the beer, etc and get mingling before the trek to the entrance gates!

Who's with me?